“Firefly Mustique, the Best!”

Firefly Mustique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mustique
Reviewed 27 February 2011

I just returned from the most glorious 10 day stay at both Firefly Bequia and Mustique. First let me say that they are both different and special in their own way. I arrived on Mustique, from St Vincent, on the little jet prop 15 seater airplane. The runway is small, the airport is sort of in the middle of the island with open air ventilation. Cute. The Firefly host met me with the little Mule (small golf cart) and off we went through the cutest little island in the Caribbean to the Firefly hotel. I arrived on a Tuesday and attended a cocktail party where many locals and guests alike mingled. I spent some of my time diving at Dive Mustique and even completed my Padi certification, with, lucky for me, one on one instructions from Jan. The Firefly bar is the best bar in the world to hang out and meet people. Many locals frequent the bar and I couldnt have met nicer guests. The food was incredibly delicious, especially the seafood curry that is served in a half pineapple shell. Oh, and the pizza is world class. The staff were friendly and efficient and the bartender, Patrick, knows how to make every drink in the world. I only regret that I didnt drink enough Martinis to get the Firefly Martini shirt! Next time. The rooms are superb, tastefully decorated with views overlooking the sailboats and yachts in the bay down below. The pool and hot tub, also are only a few steps away from the room, and overlook the beautiful bay. Mustique is an experience of a lifetime and Firefly is the place to stay! I will be back. Thanks Stan, Liz and all the staff for an incredible experience....Then I was off on the Firefly speed boat, for an adventurous ride, to Firefly Bequia but you'll have to read the reviews on that hotel at that site.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank caribbeansoul19

Reviewed 9 February 2011

This place is amazing. If you are looking for quiet and relaxing...this is the place to go. Below you will see a review of some big areas I always look for when deciding where to travel:

Room and Bathroom: The rooms are extreemly clean. They are a bit on the small side, the but who really cares about what when you don't spend much time in them anyway? We stayed in the Tree House room which has an absolutely amazing view and a shower that "protrudes into the trees". Don't get too excited though about showering in the wilderness because you prettymuch always have to have the shower curtain drawn. :) Air conditioning works fabulously and the bed was extreemly comfortable. The sunsets are not to miss from the Firefly either from your room or the bar...they are simply breathtaking.

Food: Breakfast and Lunch are fantastic. Lots of variety and very good food. The dinner menu typically changes every three days and features about five entrees. If you are a picky eater, you may find yourself eating the same entree three days in a row, but for most people, it is easy to find something different each night. Everything we ate was good...but breakfast was FANTASTIC.

Beaches: Though not directly on a beach, the hotel makes up for it by providing you with an electric cart so you can travel to ANY beach on the island within minutes AND then you gain an absolutely amazing view from your room as well. The entire week we were there, we never encountered a busy beach. You always managed to feel like you were all alone...it was wonderful. Macaroni is a great place to go for boogie boarding, swimming, and amazing sand. Lagoon is supposedly great for swimming but we found there was a lot of sea grass and were hesitent to wade out there. Each beach has a personality all its own and it is wonderful that you have an electric car so you have the freedom to travel to a beach that suits your mood for the day! :)

Island: Clean, beautiful, and impressively safe. We felt more safe here than we ever have anywhere else. Perhaps because it is a private island, but none-the-less we felt at home from the moment we stepped off the plane at the beautiful carribbean airport. A word to the wise: though beautiful the island is equally expensive. Sunscreen - $40.00 ECD!!! Take what you can and prepare for a high price tag on prettymuch anything you have to buy while there. A trip to the Tobago Cays through Mustique Company was $1200...not bad if you find four other people to go with you, but for a couple...that is pretty steep.

Bottom line: Firefly is an amazing place with a staff that is fun and devoted to customer service. We always felt we were their highest priority. Patrick and Arian are employees that would make any business owner proud and honestly provided up with the best service we have had in a long time. Stan is lucky to have them. Stan and Liz (Owners) are also very personable and will make sure you have everything you need to be comfortable either before (through email) or during your trip. The trip is overall more expensive than other hotels you will find in the caribbean but just as their motto says: Not an hotel...an experience. and they are exactly right...you are not paying for your accomodations...you are paying for accomodations in Paradise...well worth the trip and price!!!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wintertraveler2005
Reviewed 26 September 2010

We came for a chilled out holiday and were not disappointed. Firefly was charming, views amazing and the staff could not do enough for us. The island was very quiet which suited us just fine and days spent lazing on Macaroni Beach with lunch arriving by buggy was a real treat.
Thank you - we will be back soon...... I hope!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank timp1
Reviewed 9 September 2010

We were on the 'Best of Both Worlds' Special so started our holiday in Bequia (see my review on that) which we were totally impressed with, it was wonderful. Stan arrange a speed boat trip from Bequia to Mustique which the boys loved, it was a bit of a wild ride but great fun. We arrived in Mustique to be met by an impecably dressed driver who whisked us up the hill to the charming Firefly. The views are spectacular, as you enter the front door into the bar the view just hits you. Probably the best location imaginable.
The hotel is charming with so much attention to detail. Apparently Lizzy did all the interiors herself and they are so lovely with nothing spared. The boys loved the ipods in the rooms, I loved the shampoos and conditoners (custom made for the hotel with their own signature fragrace of coconut and mango), my husband loved the bar! The food was excellent and the place is a social hot spot where all the other island guests seem to congregate. We met so many interesting people and were invited to several villas by people we met at the bar. The boys had a ball and seemed to be befriended by every teenager on the island! They were out just about every night at some party or other. My husand and I prefered to sleep (the beds are very comfortable and the rooms romantic). We were made to feel so welcome and it was like staying in an extreemly well run private home that has lots of guests. Kind of a house party atmosphere but with romance thrown in!
We all totally loved both island and both hotels. It was a great holiday.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank powers_10
Reviewed 20 June 2010

The Firefly

I just got back from a wonderful and relaxing holiday in the Windward Islands. I was taking a vacation to soak the cold European winter and spring blues away in the beautifully warm Caribbean seas, armed with a great book and suitable attire. My Hotel and location was the Firefly on Mustique, a place I love much and have stayed at many times before, in case of fact I have been travailing to M regularly since 1992 and have know this island through the many changes it has seen.

One of the great things about M, apart from its majestic beauty, is the friendship of the people who live and work there, everyone is just so welcoming in a special way so you always feel at home especially at the Firefly. The Hotel is so very relaxing and you are given all the space to unwind under the canopy of the tropical garden pool, The rooms are beautiful with stunning views down to Britannia Bay. The staff and service is just great, Dial 33 on the garden phone and a beer and pitcher of water arrives! Great for the read of your book! Dial 33 and lunch arrives! The staff just know how to look after you with out to much over fuss and they always have a good say with a smile.

In the evening people come to bar and chat about the day or whatever is the world topic at that moment, much fun is had and great fiends are made.

One such evening I was however slightly caught in shock when I overheard a couple that were also staying at the Firefly who were very newly wedded making a complaint, this was done right next to me at the bar something that showed no social decorum, I consider that complaints should always only involve the two parties, discussed privately and not inflicted on innocent bystanders as that can spoil other peoples time on vacation too and did. However I had no intention of moving from my seat so overheard the complaint expressed by wife! Poor husband nearby with a strange uncomfortable look on his face.

Her gripe was that she had come to the island to fall in love with her husband? Shock!!! I thought that was a prerequisite to marriage? And that there had been a delay with her boat trip for some reason or another going off island, not all the things were there at the perfect time, and more about that she came here to fall in love on her honeymoon etc, Also mentioned was she was in the hospitality industry and this was totally not excusable.

LOL! We are in the Caribbean - its third world country, it does not always go perfectly down there but people do try their very best on Mustique I can assure you from observation and 18 years says so.

The owner Liz, patiently listening to her complaints suggested if things were not going well for them and only if they would prefer, she would see if they could transfer to the Cotton House, the only other hotel, if they would enjoy their honeymoon holiday better. They seemed not to like the Cotton House but wanted to stay.

Post diner we got to talking at the bar and she told me how disappointed they both were with Macaroni Beach where they spent part of the day!

“Its only in the top ten worldwide” !

Apparently “the waves were moving up and down and it was not like it should be in the Caribbean”. Stop that now naughty waves! ‘I am trying to fall in love’ ran through my mind, oh dear! Anyway I suggested a very calm beach on the other side of island they might want to try. The following night all seemed so much better with them, I was told how much they had enjoyed the new beach and that they both were having now, on their last night, such a good time and loved everything, the perfect holiday, the perfect honeymoon.

Well I just read their review recently posted, tut, tut, what is going on here? Say one thing and say another I guess, shame of it all.

I have had the best time ever :) but lighten up dear.

Firefly very nice times.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank Aphobos
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mustique
13.8 km away
27.7 km away
Blue Lagoon Hotel and Marina
Blue Lagoon Hotel and Marina
#2 of 16 in St. Vincent

Been to Firefly Mustique Hotel? Share your experiences!