“Disappointed”

Hilton Trinidad & Conference Centre
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Port of Spain
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Firstly let me highlight the good:
Got a renovated room for which I was grateful
Quick check in
Grilled Tilapia (fish) I had for dinner was great
Tranquil environment away from the hustle and bustle

The bad:
Firstly, I am a club hotel member and it was my first time using any of the benefit coupons I received after I paid the yearly membership fee of $1200 and I was appalled to know that I had to pay US$189 plus taxes to utilize the coupon for pay for one night and get one free. Now this rate is higher than the local resident rate and also does not include breakfast.

While having dinner on Sat night I bit on a stone in my mash potatoes which was heard by our waitress Elizabeth. She took same in a napkin to the kitchen and asked them to replace my mash potatoes as she was ending her shift. I paid for the dinner nevertheless and didn't seek to complain further as the waitress was so very pleasant and went beyond to ensure we were well while dining.

Lastly, I was appalled to see Hilton charge $2000 to my credit card. This was a separate charge from accommodation. After inquiring and being rudely transferred by their telephone operator and not getting thru to their Accounts personnel who I told would assist me in clarifying same. ( I would not divulge her name). After many phone calls I eventually got through to her and she admitted it was charged in error and asked me to send an email to her highlighting my situation and proof of the charges. This I did promptly after our phone conversation. Also, note that this extra charge, resulted in my credit card being over limit and my cc company charging a fee of US$10.00. I received no follow-up phone call after the email despite the error caused by Hilton Trinidad. My only compensation was the debit of the money back on my cc card without any follow-up phone and this happened a few days later. Hilton I was sorely disappointed since for the few days my card was over-limit I was unable to utilize to do any further personal business.

Too many upsets in one weekend......:(

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nmvf
DBD-HTrinidad, Director of Sales at Hilton Trinidad & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2012

Dear Guest from Point Fortin:

We thank you for sharing your experience during your recent stay with us; we really appreciate it as you give us the opportunity to take measures and improve our services and facilities. We are glad you are a member of Hilton Premium Club with benefits of special discounts and certificates.

Hotel might have different packages and offers with different valid dates, terms and conditions. Local residents rate has some restrictions and cost for a weekend stay starts at US$ 278, including breakfast. we will gladly confirm this special package if it is more convenient for your weekend stays and is available on your desired dates.

We are sorry to learn that your experience at the restaurant was not good and that erroneous charge was not handled in a timely manner from our staff resulting also in inconveniences using your credit card. Actions have been taken to avoid the repetition of situations like this.

We hope we can have the opportunity to offer our services again and offer an enjoyable experience.

Sincerely yours,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,862)

Reviewed 24 May 2012

Stayed here a total of 3 times over the last year, for both business and pleasure. The hotel is ideally situated - close to Port of Spain yet far enough to be away from the hassle and bustle. The hotel is clean and generally well kept. There is a good selection of food from the restaurants and excellent drinks in the bar. The lobby and upper deck are excellent places to relax read a book or just have a drink. The rooms themselves are excellent. With most being renovated over the last year you get real value for your money. Beds are soft and comfortable, bathrooms large enough and there is a wonderful comfortable recliner to laze about in a writing desk with internet access ports if you need to use it.

The pool area hosts a wonderful party on Saturdays where there is music, drink and most guest relax and interact. Unfortunately I have never tried their pool but it looks inviting and clean unlike others I have seen in Trinidad.

Overall I would rate Hilton 4 stars and as being one of the best hotels to stay in when in Triniad,

Room Tip: Try to get rooms with a view of the Savannah, they provide a more enchanting atmosphere than the one...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Mr. MIchael Vialva:

We are very happy you have enjoyed each one of your stays with us, for business and pleasure. We really appreciate the time for sharing your very positive comments and experience in our comfortable rooms and the stunning views of the city.

Thank you for your preference and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!!

Reviewed 19 May 2012

Visited this hotel recently and were quite happy with everything - with a few disappointments. Overall the service was excellent, staff were helpful and friendly. Location was quite central and convenient. Breakfast buffets were plentiful and tasty - but they kept running out of key features - like waffles and butter pats, and weren't able to replenish! The only major disappointment was the pool area which is very old, cracked and the pool itself doesn't look too clean. Very "unfriendly" for even mildly 'mobility challenged" people as there are no steps into the pool - you can only enter/exit via the ladders on the walls of the pool.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank packanack

Dear Guest from New Jersey:

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are glad that you were satisfied with our overall service, our staff helpfulness and convenient location. Immediate actions have been taken on replenishment of items during our very popular buffet breakfast. We are currently working on the renovation of the pool area and your valuable recommendations will be considered with our project team.

We hope you enjoy again our services and facilities next time you visit Trinidad !!

Reviewed 11 May 2012

I have had the need to stay at the Hilton Trinidad for extended periods for work. I must stay that this place has become my home away from home. I have been papmpered by an amazing group of professionals who have become family! i want to highlight Anthony who checked on me when i feel ill, truly a SERVICE STAR!!!!! Donna from the restaurant!!! you are the best!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
TrinidadHiltonAlkhan, General Manager at Hilton Trinidad & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2012

Dear Ms Norma W from Port of Spain

Greetings from your home away from home Iconic UpSide Down Hilton

We sincerely appreciate that you took the time to review the hotel,our team members and service in this hotel with glowing tributes. We are humbled at your generosty.
Both Anthony and Donna are our Ambassadors and represent this hotel with dignity and respect. We do thank you for your loyalty to Brand and your visits to our shores.
I look forward to your next visit.
Ali

Reviewed 9 May 2012

This was our 3rd stay in 3 years. We arrived very early at 8.00am and the front desk allowed us to check in early, which was a very, very big plus since we were tired from our over night flight and at many other hotels in the US and Canada my experience is they will tell you to take a hike and come back at the proper check in time in the afternoon. The entire check in process was very smooth and excellent from the time we pulled up to the front entrance to when we got to our room.

However because of our early check in we could not get the room that was originally allocated to us in the north wing and we ended up in the south wing 7th floor. On our previous stays we were in the north wing which is newer. The north wing overlooks the Queens Hall/President's House area, while the south wing looks over the Lady Young Road/Belmont area.

Our main problem was that the room cleaning lady assigned to our room arrived at 6.00pm on the second evening to clean our room and on the 4th day arrived at 5.00pm to clean our room. We never had this problem in our previous stays when we were in the north wing of the hotel. Anyway as the saying goes, it only takes one bad apple (in this case the tardy cleaning lady for our room) to spoil the whole bunch.

The breakfast buffet is a must have, and the staff there (Donna, Marcia, Heather, etc.) remembered us from our previous stay and welcomed us back. Service and food at the restaurant was excellent. This poolside restauarant must rank as one of the nicest restarants to dine in, very spacious, with very high ceilings, large sunroom type glass windows, very good air conditooning, and all kinds of tropical plants, and swimming pool close by. So do not miss out on the buffet breakfast as it a the best way to start your day there.

There is a terrace on the top floor which gives you fantastic views of the city. The grounds of the hotel are filled wih all kinds of tropical plants/trees as the hotel is nestled into the side of a hill. This is in stark contrast to the concrete jungle you will find at many of the other local more expensive competitor hotels in Port of Spain.

We will defintely stay at this Hilton hotel the next time we visit.

Room Tip: Book the buffet breakfast
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Dear Mr Yeah-Man from Ontario ;

We are elated that you took time and effort to write such a positive feedback review.
We are glad that you had a seamless check in even when you arrived earlier and our professional team members accomodated you. We are sorry that due to high occupancy and your earlier arrival you were not able to enjoy the north wing rooms overlooking the mountain.and presidents house.
We are also glad that you were very impressed with services of Mauricia, Donna and Heather.

We are happy that you liked our resturant, breakfast service and food and nicest view from our terrace.
Since we are blessed with over 25 acre of land and surrounded by Flora/Fiona ,it gives that warmth of Caribbean.
As you know this hotel has a unique soul and makes all very comfortable from times they arrive.

We thank you again and hope to see you soon.

ali

18.4 km away
Holiday Inn Express Trincity Trinidad Airport
54.1 km away
D' Coconut Cove Holiday Beach Resort

Been to Hilton Trinidad & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!