“Lovely location, many birds”

Reviewed 29 December 2016

It is still worth a visit but it's obvious that the sanctuary has fallen on hard times. It's on the site of an old cocoa plantation which was devastated by a hurricane in the 60's or 70's, such a shame, it could be a very beautiful retreat.
Did see lots of Cocoricos, a luscious humming bird and many "honey eaters", the vegetation is wonderful and we enjoyed ourselves in spite of the decay.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"paradise"
"tt"

Reviewed 4 July 2016

I wish I could give this a better review, but it badly needs attention and grooming. We went for the 8 am feeding and weren't quite sure where to go once we went up the hill, but the caretaker pointed us in the right direction. There used to be paths to walk thru and see more of the land, but it was all overgrown and you couldn't even tell there had been paths (I only knew about them because I was with someone who had been there before). The hummingbird feeders were badly in need of repair. One had fallen down some time ago it seemed and never put up again. The caretaker spread bird feed out on some boards. There were many cocoricos (the national bird) and hummingbirds, and some black birds (I'm not really a bird person) and the kids liked seeing them. We didn't stay too long because there was nothing else to see. I really hope the owners revitalize the place - it could be something special. If you are really into birds, I recommend it otherwise I would skip it unless you are looking for something to do for 15 minutes.

Reviewed 15 June 2016

If you want to see the national bird the cocoricos this is the place to go. We saw lots of pigeons, bananaqiuts and mot mots as well. We arrived there for the four o clock feeding. the place itself needs to upgraded but if you want to see birds its a good place to visit.

Reviewed 5 May 2016

Sadly needing some tlc. The birds are fed at around 4pm and there are plenty to see, you can sit and watch from the shade,but otherwise there is very little else there now. There were some walks mentioned in the guide book but they weren't very clear. Entrance is free but the place relies on donations from visitors so please be generous.