Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed due to a natural disaster.
Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed at the Marriot in 2008 and I can honestly say the excursion desk really made my trip because they were knowledgeable about the tours and nightly activities offsite.

The one thing I didn't like which I can remember like yesterday is that the female staff need to be trained on customer service. No matter what your feeling you should never take it out on patrons. I found this common with the younger staff.
Especially when you order food and got it cold and wait time was long.

Also one other thing I had issue with was how they tried to overcharge for local call as if it was long distance. I had to clearly state my point with the causian female manager who had attitude.

I may not live on the island but I was born there and stayed until the age of 4. Plus the room had know indication of fee except for long distance. So I do have family there so I do know that I wasn't going to treat me like dumb tourists.

I was suppose to stay November 2011 for my birthday but they overbook, and had different stories about the reason they couldn't accomodate, watermain broke, no air condition and I was asked if I was one of the players of the basketball team, I guess if I said yes I would've been accomodate.

I am starting to see that eventhough places carry the Marriot name they really don't understand the concept behind the brand.

Don't get me wrong I loved location, the restaurants except the sportbar and like the spa I just didn't like the way the staff acted towards patrons.

• Stayed: August 2011
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We appreciatethe compliments from your 2008 visit and we’d like to apologize for yourexperience this past November. Please contact me directly at sttfrexperienceteam@mariotthotels.com so we can investigate this incident. We’d like to ensure that you experienced a suitable resolution. Thank you again for your generous ratings.

There are newer reviews for Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort

Reviewed 19 February 2012

Mhy wife and I recently spent a week at the hotel. About a week before we left -- I signed onto TripAdvisor to read some reivews. They were scathing and I thought we had made a 'big mistake'. Good news -- it was a great experience. The hotel was recently renovated and the facility was beautiful. We stayed in Frenchman's Reef and had a beautiful well-appointed room. Maid service was good and the room was very clean. Everyone we encountered was pleasant and friendly. We ended up eating in every restaurant (at least once) and they all offered good food and service. Pools were all beautiful -and there were plenty of chairs and no rushing to 'reserve' as at some hotels. The beach at Morning Star was wonderful. Clean and quiet and a pleasure to be at. We recommend the hotel without any qualms.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Barry K
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2012

We’re very happy to hear we exceeded your expectations! Thank you for wholeheartedly recommending Frenchman’s Reef!

Reviewed 17 February 2012

Absolutely great experience at this hotel. The service was great from the get go. Angel at the pool took amazing care of us, our housekeeper was amazing, and overall the staff was genuine and pleasant at all times. We stayed in Morning Star in room 5114 which was right on the beach and the view was fab. We ended up eating every night at Havana Blue where the dishes were very well prepared and presented with really cool flavors, spices and combinations of ingredients. Eat at the bar with Lindsey she's very quick witted (a bit of New York still in her) an incredible server and just a good sole, she made our valentines day very special. Overall a good experience, don't be oversold on the renovation publicity, at least at Morningstar it felt like a new coat of paint and a few trim pieces. I think the bulk of the money went into the restaurants and common areas. All in all a great trip for us and we will go back.

• Stayed: February 2012
3  Thank Chazzer44
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

We’re so glad to hear you had an absolutely great experience with us! Thank you for mentioning Angel and Lindsey; we will pass your compliments onto them. Regarding your comments about Morning Star, we’d like to clarify (for your next visit and the Tripadvisor community) that our recent renovation took place at the Frenchman’s Reef portion of the property. We renovated the rooms, pool complex, spa, enclosed public space and opened a new lounge and restaurant. For your next visit, call ahead so we can greet you as a returning guest! Thank you again for the review!

Reviewed 17 February 2012

Needed a break from the cold, cloudy, wet days of Winter, and we definitely got just that, & more! This was wonderful to be somewhere that you did not have to dress in layers. Relaxing in the warm sun of the Caribbean Ocean both on St Thomas & St John was therapy in an of itself. Then getting into the crystal clear/turquoise waters of Trunk Bay was soulfully healing. Temps were perfect, 85 day 72 night! Staff at this hotel were very helpful, especially Robert Fulcher, whom I met the first night and worked with throughout out stay. Very attentive and always on an even keel, even after the person before me was irrate over towels or something trivial... Remember, you are on Caribbean time, so relax, the pace is slower. Don't go somewhere and expect it to be like home/work pace, Otherwise why go!?!
Beautiful setting on the cliffs overlooking Charlotte Amalie Port to watch the cruise ships come and go each day from the infinity pool's edge and waving at the passengers, yes that close! Or spend the day on the beach and eating at Coco Joe's right on the beach. All was good, including each restaurant & friendly staff. So plan ahead, go soon and enjoy and return refreshed like we did !!!!!!

Room Tip: We first were in the main tower connected to lobby with 'property view'. Newly renovated and...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank naturalcouple
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Thank you for giving us a 5 star satisfaction rating and mentioning Robert’s attentive service. Sounds like you really enjoyed the warm climate and made some lasting memories. We hope to see you again next year!

Reviewed 17 February 2012

I have stayed at this hotel for the past 6 years. I think the hotel looks great now - much cleaner. I like what they did with the pools - however I got there earlier a few mornings to ensure a spot right near the pool. Ended up getting splashed by a bunch of kids all morning. There parents didn't seem to be around either.

The food at the hotel is expensive so be prepared - and the service is definitely on island time. If you know that going in, you shouldn't get surprised or frustrated with the experience.

I visited the spa, and agree with other reviewers. The quiet room is not quiet or peaceful as you wait for your appointment. However, i definitely recommend using the spa facilities for a shower before heading to the airport - allowing you check-out earlier and still get one more day at the beach or pool.

I can always be found stopping for a drink at the Rum Bar each evening. The bartenders are great! I wish they would bring back the DJ though. Much nicer atmosphere with music playing at night.

I have always gotten great rooms with great views at this hotel - but I am also I Marriott Platinum member so usually end up with an upgraded room.

Overall, I definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't stay at the Harbor View wing.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank dkarly

Thank you for recommending Frenchman’s Reef. The generous compliments you gave us on our renovation and pools go a long way. We also take your suggestions seriously and be rest assured that each time you visit, you will experience improvements. Again, thank you for taking the time to post, and we hope your travels bring you back to St. Thomas very soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
0.3 km away
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
#1 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!