Stayed here at the end of January, with some trepidation because the reviews seemed all over the map. I understand now. This is a very big property when you include the Morning Star. We stayed in the Oceanview Tower at Frenchman's reef; got a free upgrade to a Harbor View. While an older property, it is still clean, bright, and what would would expect from a Marriott. The poolside is new, wonderful,and great place to relax, read, unwind in the sun. The staff in and around the hotel for the most part was friendly and helpful, almost without fail. We arrived around 3:30, just before check-in, and only had a very short wait before getting our room and heading up. After a dropping our bags and heading out to explore the property, the check-in line had gotten quite long. Other big plusses: the non-Marriott restaurants--CoCo Joes, and in particular Havana Blue, were wonderful. The water taxi to Charlotte Amalie is also a quite a plus. A beautiful, quiet ride to town compared to the always adventurous cab rides.
On the downside, the service in the Marriott restaurants (i.e., not Havana Blue or CoCo Joe's) was consistently poor; the wait staff made you feel like you were imposing on them. At no point, sitting around the pool, did anyone approach us and ask if we wanted a drink; we usually ended up walking up to the bar to get a drink. And, surprisingly, the food was just OK, again not what I expect from a Marriott resort. Finally, there are other parts of the property, like the walk back around the waterfall, the elevator down to the walk back out to Morning Star, and that whole general area of the Frenchman's Reef property showed their age.
I now understand the wide range in reviews you read here. If you're a glass half full type like us, this was a very nice vacation and on an overnight return to St Thomas we'd surely stay here. If you're a glass half empty type, I could read and understand you're reviews as well.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded on three sides by stunning Caribbean ocean views, the Frenchman's Reef Resort combines modern luxury and the unique Virgin Island style of St. Thomas. The hotel features clean, crisp large guest rooms with flat screen 50" TVs. Experience new resort features including an infinity pool, children's splash zone, adult infinity pool with bar; and private spa pool. Our Lazule Sea Spa is now open featuring extensive treatment rooms, salon, state of the art fitness center, and private spa pool with cabanas. Aqua Terra is one of three restaurants at Frenchman's Reef which features spectacular views of the Charlotte Amalie harbor. Our mission is to host you brilliantly... To make your every event and stay with us unforgettable and effortless. Come visit us at Marriott Frenchman's Reef and Morning Star Beach Resort and discover the most luxurious vacation destination in the US Virgin Islands. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott Frenchman`s Reef & Morning Star Beach Hotel Charlotte Amalie
- Marriott Frenchman`s Reef And Morning Star Beach Resort
- Marriott Charlotte Amalie
- Charlotte Amalie Marriott
- Marriott Frenchmans Reef
- Frenchmans Reef St Thomas
- Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort St. Thomas/Charlotte Amalie