Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
Windward Passage Hotel(Charlotte Amalie)
US$139
  • Pool
Mafolie Hotel(Charlotte Amalie)(Great Value!)
US$202
US$196
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$217/night.

Emerald Beach Resort(Charlotte Amalie)
US$305
US$224
US$161
US$129
Olga's Fancy(Charlotte Amalie)(Great Value!)
US$149
Galleon House Bed & Breakfast(Charlotte Amalie)(Great Value!)
US$80
US$78
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
US$250
Midtown Guest House(Charlotte Amalie)
US$80
Bunker Hill Hotel(Charlotte Amalie)
US$105
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove(Charlotte Amalie)
US$569
4,426 results
All reviewsmorning starfrenchman's reefaqua terracoco joesthe main hotelharbor wingsunset grillrum barswim up baradventure centermain poolsea cliffinfinity poolnight kayakinggarden viewst thomastennis courts
Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

So this isn't my first time at The Morningstar. Or The Reef. However. It is my last.
The only thing this property has going for it at the point is the beach it sits on

The resorts are actually no longer owned by Marriott. However their name is on it.

I booked the Morningstar as I brought my younger cousin and a friend for their first time to the island and we can just roll out straight to the beach each morning.

When we arrived. I was told that our room had been upgraded. To ocean view. However it was up the hill at The Reef. I declined the room. To which the woman at check in was not pleased about.

Out room wreaked of mold. The air conditioning vent was covered in black mold. And everything in the room was wet. The rug. The couch. The bed.
I also had requested 2 beds. This room had one bed. So I had to sleep on the couch the first night. I also had to call and request sheets and a blanket.

There was a hole in the bathroom wall. The lamp shade was covered in mold.

The next day. I requested another room mold makes people very very sick. And at the price of this hotel. I expect more.

The next room was a tad better with the mold smell. However. Still moldy. The ice make is broken. The sliding doors fall off.
The bathroom is gross. There's Marks all over the walls and the toilet pipes are rusted all over the wall and floor.

The staff is apathetic and borderline rude.
Our room was not serviced even though the cart sat outside the door all day.

I would rather give my money to Bolongo Bay or somewhere that cares if their guests keep coming back. Because this is not the level of service. Detail or cleanliness I expect from Marriott.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
7  Thank Christine M
MrChrisDonohue, General Manager at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2017

Dear Christine M,

We appreciate your feedback, and comments after your recent stay with us, and apologize for any inconvenience you experienced with your room accommodations, and our Housekeeping Department.

We strive to provide a beautiful, relaxing, comfortable stay to our guests, and apologize if you were disappointed overall with our resort, your room, and the service you received. Your review certainly helps us to see where we fell short, and areas where improvements, and enhancements can be made.

As a Marriott property, we realize guests have certain expectations when staying with us, and are sorry you were overall disappointed with your time here. Thank you for your time, and we do hope one day we can welcome you back.

Reviewed 19 August 2017

Check in: A short wait, but everyone was pleasant. If you're elite, there's a special desk (good for elite and others since if you're not elite, less people in the other line)

Room: We had an oceanfront on the beach. The view was perfect. The room was basic, but perfectly pleasant and large enough. Nice bathroom. Night one the AC had something horribly wrong which kept us up all night. However, Dalton and Rena made everything right the next day. They had it fixed and gave us a dinner on property.

Beach: Totally lovely with plenty of chairs. No need to rush and save one. Plenty of umbrellas. Easy to get beach towels. My only complaint is 45 dollar resort fee is charged for equipment, but it must be returned by 4:30 which means you can't take it to any beach off the property. Personally, I think it should be a choice 45 for everything (I believe it includes kayaks and other nice things which we didn't use) or pay for things as you use them.

Pool: There are 3 choices and all nice. We enjoyed the pool at the main building. Be aware - 95 steps up. That said, there's always a shuttle if you don't want to walk. Personally, we loved walking up. We enjoyed the iguanas and the exercise.

Food and Drink: Pierrot is the best server at Sunset Grille. Food was excellent there. We really liked the drinks at all the bars - especially the Painkillers.

Checkout - Easy.

Staff - I mentioned a few - but most of the staff was lovely and in a good mood. Please remember to tip the housekeepers.

Room Tip: Go for oceanfront by the beach
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank bratzoe

Dear bratzoe,

It is great to hear after your stay with us, that the wonderful service you received, and our many amenities here at the resort really stood out!

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed both your pool and beach time, and that you were very pleased overall with your accommodations. Thanks for also letting us know that your dining experience at the Sunset Grill was your favorite!

We have included here all that our Resort Fee includes and covers which is included on our website. Resort Fee amenities:
bottled water in room - 2 per room, per day
enhanced high speed internet & wifi
free use of beach chairs & umbrellas
unlimited use of "non-motorized" water sports from the beach of morning star including paddle boats, kayaks, boogie boards, & floats. excludes sailboats.
unlimited use of snorkels, flippers, masks and floaters
unlimited use of tennis courts
free access to the reef fitness center
free participation in resort activity classes like yoga and aerobics coordinated by recreation staff
shuttle service throughout the resort
invitation to the resort's weekly cocktail reception every wednesday from 5pm to 6pm
$20 lazule spa or salon coupon to be applied to purchases of $150 or more for services at regular price (this excludes any published package, promotion or discount)
two $5 off coupons for the night kayak tour provided by adventure center desk (per room, per stay)
two $10 off coupons for the catamaran half-day tour provided by adventure center desk (per room, per stay)
free self-parking

Your review, and feedback are important to us, and we appreciate that you took a moment to share and reflect on your stay with us. We hope when you plan to return to St. Thomas, that we will welcome you back.

Reviewed 19 August 2017

We stayed at the Morning Star in a beachfront room (Allamanda Bld) for 10 nights and loved it. The beach is beautiful and the views are excellent (step out onto the sand). The initial room we were given was not suitable, but the Marriott guest services were very responsive and immediately changed the room on our arrival. The hotel is older, but clean and the staff are friendly, and the location on the beach is worth the price. We took the breakfast package which was a good option. We also rented a car, which was a very good decision and allowed us to get out of the resort and explore St. Thomas and take the car ferry to explore St. Johns on our own schedule. We did the night kayak tour and the evening Catamaran dinner cruise at the hotel and enjoyed both. We also booked a day boat charter through the hotel guest services to the BVI and visited the Baths, which was very nice. All-in-all an excellent vacation.

Room Tip: Morning Star on the beach is best
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephen M

Dear Stephen M,

Thanks for letting us know that you had an excellent vacation here at the resort, and that you really enjoyed your 10 day stay with us!

We are happy to know that you are very pleased with your accommodations at the Morning Star, loving being only steps from the beach, and that you felt our breakfast package was a very good option. We offer many amenities at the resort, and we are glad to hear you enjoyed both your night kayaking and Catamaran dinner cruise.

We appreciate your review, and feedback, and we will look forward to welcoming you again!

Reviewed 18 August 2017

We arrived at Frenchmen Reef after 5:00 p.m. Our stay was from Wednesday, checking out on Saturday. With a day of traveling, all I wanted was a nice hot shower. When we checked into the room (after 30 minutes standing on line to check in and an hour waiting for a room), there was no hot water. Saying to myself geez "that's a lot of people, maybe the hot water is out", I waited until Thursday morning, jumping up extra early to ensure that I get my share of hot water and...there was none! Colder than the day before! I contacted the front desk and was told that a maintenance person would be right up. Maintenance never came. At 6:00 pm, I called Marriott Headquarters to make a complaint and connected to the Hotels manager (Chris) with Headquarters listening. Chris told both of us that we would compensate the room and have someone up as soon as possible. NO ONE CAME!!! I called the front desk again on Thursday night and was told that the manager was gone for the day. Friday morning, water still cold, I called the front desk again and talked to Chris. Chris offered and we accepted to shower in another room. Ask why we could not move to that room (same floor) and was told that the room was not for guest and again was told that they would comp us for our trouble. Friday night at 9:00 pm, maintenance came and we finally had hot water. Checking out on Saturday, looking at our bill and realized that the only "comp" they gave us was 50% off one night’s stay! Went to the front desk at 6:00 am and was told that the manager was not there. I call headquarters on my way to the airport and was told that Marriott headquarters would contact Frenchman's Reef. The next day I look at my credit card statement and had only been "comp" for one day!
I FEEL LIKE I PAID FRENCHMEN'S REEF TO THEM TO PERSONALLY TREAT ME LIKE CRAP!!!

Room Tip: Do not stay in the Harbor side of the hotel, need serious upgrade
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank 1Pamela_13
MrChrisDonohue, General Manager at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2017

Dear 1Pamela_13,

We apologize for the many missteps you encountered while staying here at the resort.

I am going to look further into these issues, and will contact you by Private Message.

Again except our sincere apologies for the very poor experience you had at our resort, and we do hope one day we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 18 August 2017

We were here at the Marriott Morning Star 4 years ago and had the best time - wonderful room, wonderful staff, wonderful stay - a treasured memory! We checked in today to celebrate our 10th anniversary and have a room that is basically in the parking lot, went to the bar in the same lobby where we checked in to be told that they are not affiliated with the hotel and they cannot do a room charge for the completely outrageous food and bev charges ($24 for a tiny piece of mahi with no sides, $12 for a Dixie cup of wine...). Literally been here 5 hours and am completely disappointed with the stay. Thanks, Marriott. Glad my husband has been loyal to you for 25 years. Won't stay here again.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank BCEagle88
MrChrisDonohue, General Manager at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2017

Dear BCEagle88,

Thank you for being a loyal Marriott guest, and for returning to our resort again to celebrate your anniversary.

It is never our intent to have our guests be disappointed as soon as they arrive, and we have taken this review to share with our staff. We apologize that both your accommodations,and your dining experiences have not lived up to your expectations, but hope we'll be able to make things right while you enjoy the rest of your time here with us.

We appreciate your feedback, and your review.