“In my opinion, one of the best restaurants in the Caribbean!”

Extra Virgin Bistro
Ranked #3 of 58 Restaurants in Cruz Bay
Price range: US$25 - US$50
Reviewed 23 March 2017

We've been to many islands in the Caribbean and no other restaurant that we have been to compares to Extra Virgin. Our experience with Extra Virgin started with the phone call to the restaurant for reservations. We called and asked for reservations for two at the bar, which most restaurants won't take, and were delighted to hear, "no problem, we'll see you at 8:00". We arrived at 8:00 and were promptly seated at the bar that had full set ups for dinner at them; very impressive. We were greeted by the bartender and handed the cocktail/wine list and two menus. Shortly thereafter, the bartender arrived to take our cocktail order, a Grapefruit Margarita and a Bistro Martini, both of which were delicious. We perused the menu and decided what we were going to have, put our menus down and had a few questions for the bartender about the menu. He was extremely knowledgeable about the menu and answered our questions with ease. We ordered our appetizers and dinners and asked to keep the wine list. Shortly after we ordered, an amuse bouche arrived that had an herb (grown from their own garden) mixture that was delicious. Our appetizers arrived about five minutes later which was perfectly timed. We had Tuna Carpaccio and a hand cut pasta and mushroom dish that were both out of this world. As soon as we were done, our dishes were cleared and we started to look at the wine list. The bar manager came over immediately and asked if he could be of any assistance with if and was very knowledgeable when we asked some questions. We ordered the wine and he immediately came over and opened it and asked if we would like it kept on ice (we ordered a Chardonnay) to which we said yes. Because of the high temperature and humidity, they only poured a small amount into the glasses so that the wine would not get too warm. The attention to detail at this restaurant is second to none. Soon after we received our wine, a pallet cleanser of grapefruit sorbet topped with Prosecco arrived. Soon after that was cleared, our dinners that consisted of the Double Cut Pork Chop with thyme (house grown) pan sauce and the Grilled Atlantic Swordfish with lobster corn broth. Both were outstanding and the pork was cooked perfectly. During the course of dinner, we never once had to ask for wine to be poured. When we both were finished, our plates were cleared and we were presented with the dessert and after dinner drink selection. We ordered the banana pudding and two espressos. Wow, the banana pudding with chocolate was outstanding. As you can probably tell from my very detailed review, that I was in the restaurant business for 20 years and was more than impressed with the food, service, and general attitude of the servers. This was my second time at this restaurant and they keep getting better. I gave it five stars the last time (last year) and if I could have given it five plus stars this time, I would have. I should note that the atmosphere is lively and Caribbean casual, plus they offer outdoor seating. A shout out to Ryan, the General Manager/Owner and Tom Garfield, the Executive Chef/Owner, for creating a real 'fine dining' restaurant on St. John.

Reviewed 22 March 2017

There is nothing "short" about these ribs (they are enormous!), but they do fall right off the bone. Delicious. Lovely atmosphere, great service.

Reviewed 22 March 2017

Our family of five ( 3 teenagers) had dinner here this past Saturday evening. The service was great and the food was truly excellent. Our group had fish, beef, chicken and vegetarian - all were well prepared, flavorful and satisfying - big portions.

We had a number of good dinners on St. John, but Extra Virgin Bistro was the best.

Reviewed 21 March 2017 via mobile

My girlfriend and I went to Extra Virgin on our first evening in St John. The reservation that I tried to book was never received, but the gentleman that answered the phone was very accommodating and even though they seemed to be booked up we got a reservation at the bar.
We sat down and the bartender was very friendly and made some great specialty cocktails for us. My girlfriend had a lavender based gin cocktail and I had a bourbon based cocktail, both were really good...not cheap, but worth the money.
For our app we had the crab cakes which were fantastic! I was told they used crab from Maine and I overheard a lady from Maine who commented 'she'd never tasted anything like that back home'.
For our entrees we had the Mahi Mahi and the braised short ribs. I had the Mahi Mahi and I have to say it was one of the best fish dishes I've ever had. I won't go on and on about how it was prepared, it was just amazing!
My girlfriend had the braised short ribs which were also great. It came with a side of mashed potatoes and crispy onions that were really good, and a great balance to the short rib that melted like butter in your mouth.
I'd suggest anyone go back to this restaurant...you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 20 March 2017

This has been my favorite restaurant in town since they opened and they continue to earn that rating. Had to sit at the bar last night as it was the only reservation we could get and it was a joy to watch the bartenders and the care that they put into their drinks. These are true professionals. And the kitchen was at its best too. Everyone of our meals was perfect. This is a must visit spot...but make reservations ahead of time.