“Quite a Disappointment”

Ranked #36 of 330 Restaurants in Nassau
Cuisines: French, Bahamian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Indulge your senses at Dune, a chic restaurant by internationally renowned restaurateur, Chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten. Perched atop a white sand beach amidst dramatic ocean views, Dune serves an innovative blend of French-Asian cuisine infused with local herbs and Bahamian influences, offering a truly unexpected dining experience. Dune's British Colonial design was created by famed French interior designer Christian Liaigre, featuring a display kitchen and outdoor patios overlooking the beach. Cocktails, fine vintage wines and champagnes are also served throughout the day at Dune's adjacent beachfront bar. Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We visited for the 15 th time. The bar continues to be a highlight with excellent cocktails, a spectacular view and on Fri and Sat an excellent solo vocalist.

We were interested to see what the Four Seasons might add. The unfortunate answer is Dune is in decline. Service is relatively in attentive. My fish arrived barely warm and my potatoes were cold. The wine list has not improved but prices have risen.

The former GM is now a senior mgr over food st Atlantis. The new female mgr hasn’t inspired the staff or the menu. I quietly made her aware of our cold food on my wife’s 55th birthday and she was largely unresponsive

For $400 I expect more from a Four Seasons restaurant. I would recommend Jose Andres “Fish” at Atlantis over this formerly must visit venue.

Monica M, Public Relations Manager at Dune, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear michaelfj2016,
Thank you for taking the time not only to provide your honest experience and feedback, but for also returning to Dune. It's disappointing to read your opinion that we are "in decline", though I assure you we have a dedicated team and are deeply concerned about your lack of attentive service.
As regular guests, we do hope that you will see this as a one-off disappointment and give us the opportunity to live up to the high standards for which we are known.
With kindest regards,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We ate breakfast every morning during our stay here, and the photos attached to this review are of various breakfast options. If you're going to spend nearly $30 on an omelet, it better be a freakin' awesome omelet! It sure was, as was everything else we had.

My favorite breakfast was the avocado toast -- they didn't call it that on the menu, but the description will reveal which one it is, and again, I've attached a photo. We also had dinner one night there, which I don't have pictures of, because as soon as the food arrived we devoured it as if we hadn't eaten for weeks, it was delicious. We had personal pizzas and also split some brussels sprouts -- fresh, delicious, a perfect light-ish dinner.

I read a few reviews complaining about slow service; this is the pace of the Bahamas. All you need to do is tell people that you're in a rush, and they'll pick up the pace. Or, you can feel grateful that you can afford this amazingly beautiful hotel and restaurant, sit back, and enjoy yourself.

A few tips: First, about tipping; gratuities are automatically added in the Bahamas, so be sure to check your bill to avoid over tipping. Second, when you got breakfast, I'd suggest grabbing coffee in the lobby and bringing it with you rather than ordering coffee at breakfast. It's expensive, doesn't remain hot very long, and is honestly not very good -- as opposed to the lobby coffee, which is excellent.

Enjoy!

Reviewed 6 October 2018 via mobile

We made a reservation for Dune to celebrate our last night in the Bahamas.

We sat on the patio and it was a beautiful night. Sadly the weather and view was the highlight to the meal.

I started with the tuna tartare and my wife had the squash and wild mushroom soup. She enjoyed her soup, it was rich like a bisque. My tuna was served on avocado in a bowl of soy and chili oil. The soy sauce mix was so strong, it killed the flavor of the fresh tuna. I don’t understand why you would want to kill the delicate flavors of a tartare with a ton of salty soy sauce.

We then waited an hour for the main course. Not once did our server update us on the expected time, offered more bread, more wine, nothing. It’s one thing to have an hour turn between starters and main, but to not check on your guests is not acceptable.

For the mains she had chicken with a basil sauce, I had the local lobster with curry sauce; and we got a side of their sweet corn.

Sadly it was underwhelming again. Her chicken was good but sauce was very acidic from the citrus; but it was a tasty dish. My lobster was bland. It’s a curry sauce and it had little flavor. The bok choy as well was flavorless. The plantains were good and the lobster, although lacking flavor, was a large size. There was a good amount of lobster. The sweet corn was enjoyable, a little spice to it.

2 hours now for 2 courses, and I was done. I did not want to order desert and see how long it would take to get a piece of cake done.

My biggest disappointment was the service, folllowed by the food. With the prices you pay, service needs to be better. It has to be better. All I see is a staff that knows that they have 15% worked in already, so they just don’t care like they should. You can’t go an hour between courses and not check in on your guests, you can’t! In the end we spent $270 for dinner and I can easily say it was my most disappointing meal of the trip.

Dune, you need to do better. It’s such a shame to see sub par service coming from your establishment.

Reviewed 3 October 2018

The food here is delicious, but the service is slow. You have to ask for things one would not expect to have to ask for when dining in a "highly acclaimed" restaurant. While the ambiance and view are both beautiful, it's loud on the inside, so definitely sit outside and definitely don't be in a rush.

Reviewed 24 September 2018

This magical restaurant tops all my fine dining experiences in Nassau - and yes I’ve been to Graycliffs, Cafe Matisse and many more. Imagine a soft tropical breeze, fine glass of wine and great food - a little music, seaside bar with deck and the ocean lapping at the shore! The atmosphere is superb and the food and service outstanding. If you want to have a special treat this is the one & only place to go!

1  Thank Cindy J