1,072 results
All reviews sabor restaurant taino beach free ferry water taxi separate bedroom breakfast was included across the street every morning upgraded to a suite quiet pool espresso machine regular room grand bahama vacation express yogurt living area swim up bar
Reviewed 10 August 2018

My family and I stayed at the "Pelican Bay" for 2 nights on our way to "The Cove" Atlantis Paradise Islands. The staff were very friendly and the rooms were relatively clean. We loved to explore the village and the friendly workers made it an amazing experience. The ferry to get to the beach was a smooth and free ride. I highly recommend the Dolphin experience that the hotel runs. Overall we had a great time.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 August 2018

The resort and room itself were beautiful. We stayed in a suite. It had a somewhat rustic yet modern Caribbean feel to it, which I love. Unfortunately, the suite is advertised incorrectly. The resort website advertises 2 full beds and a pull out sofa bed. Our room had one twin and one full in the bedroom and a sofa bed which did not work. This was quite a problem for my family of 5. I had called to ask for a crib and was told there would "possibly be a charge" for it. I spoke to the front desk about this and they said that's how all the "double bed suites" are and there is never a charge for cribs. We had so much stuff with us that it wasn't worth the hassle for us to change to a "king suite" so we kept the room. When we lifted the cushions off the sofa bed to pull it out, we found a piece of plywood the length of the sofa and the bed underneath it could not be pulled out by 3 adults. My son slept on the cushions over the plywood. There were no linens provided for the sofa bed and only 3 towels in the bathroom. On the 4th day of our stay, we finally got our room serviced. They tidied up the bed and left a stack of new towels on the bathroom counter. No frills or trills which was ok.

Communication between staff members is poor and inconsistent. Two ladies were checking in our large group. One staff member was telling people that the water taxi to the beach was broken and not giving out tickets at the very same time the staff member next to her was telling us about the free tickets for the water taxi. Luckily, I overheard the conversations and were able to clear it up in the moment.

We would arrive late back to the hotel every evening (between 9-10pm) because we were there for a baseball tournament and the games ended late. One evening, we asked the front staff member about dinner at the restaurant and she said it would not be a problem. By the time we arrived, they refused to serve us stating that the kitchen would be closing in 15 minutes. I don't understand how they would turn away a party of 20. We walked to the Market Place and found a restaurant that would serve us. On another occasion, we went to the same restaurant at 2 pm for lunch and was told that the chef wouldn't be coming in till 5 pm (although it is advertised as being open all day). Again, we had to leave the hotel for food. Breakfast buffet is available at $21 per person!!! but would run out of food and unable to serve us every day of our stay.

Check out was the same issue. I called the front desk and asked to extend check out. I was told no problem and I could check out at 12 pm instead of 11 am. At 10 am, I got a phone call from a staff member to remind me that check out was at 11. When I told her of my conversation, I was told there was nothing she could do for me and I had to be out no later than 11:30 am.

All in all, these small but frustrating issues we had at this resort became part of the norm of what we experienced being in Grand Bahama with other restaurants, bus drivers, the ferry to get to Freeport, and experiences other people in the tournament had at their hotels. I will most likely be going back to Freeport for future tournaments and events and would choose this hotel again over the other options. I've told myself to get into the "island mindset" and it's all fine. It's just unfortunate to see how service and facilities and on the island have deteriorated over the years.

Room Tip: definitely get a suite over a regular room. Friends booked rooms and were extremely disappointed and requested an upgrade.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank jackiegonzalez41
PelicanBayHotel, Operations Manager at Pelican Bay at Lucaya, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2018

Dear jackiegonzalez41,

We've read your review at length and like yourself very disappointed with the feedback. Our only aim at Pelican Bay Hotel is to provide exceptional guest service through our warm hospitality and quality customer service. As far as I am concerned there is no island mindset that should be adapted at our hotel because we want our guests to feel at home away from home. I am not aware if you requested a Manager but certainly if you encountered so many issues you should have shared this with us and your group coordinator who has had a long relationship with the hotel.

We apologize sincerely and it is very unfortunate that we did not have an opportunity to speak with you prior to you departing. Your experience is certainly not indicative of the service we strive to achieve daily.

As you travel again for a future tournaments I am certain that your experience will be a different one! Please don't hesitate to reach out to me to further discuss your review.

with happiness,

Della Bridgewater

Reviewed 3 August 2018

We visited this hotel for a 4 night stay booked theough Vacation Express. While it is not all inclusive, it does include breakfast which is quite substantial. Rooms are very large. Decor is a bit dated and a bit worn, but we don't mind that. We are only in the room to sleep! Bed was okay - a bit firm and squeaky. Sheets and towels were super clean, good water pressure and plenty of hot water. Nespresso machine in the room was great!

The location of this hotel is great for visiting freeport. Easy walk to Lucaya marketplace with shops and restaurants. It is on the bay side, not the ocean, but there is public beach access across the street, about a 10 minute walk. Ask for a room facing the water and you won't be disappointed.

The pools are small but never crowded while we were there.

Bones Bar is great but it does close fairly early. I think at 10pm.

Check in and out is not the fastest. That might be my only complaint during our stay. We will definitely stay here again at some point in the future.

Room Tip: Marina/bay side rooms have great view
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2018

We used to go to Freeport often, our hotel was damaged by hurricane. Freeport is still great, but hotels are lacking because most of them have not been rebuilt. Pelican Ba is one if the better ones still there.

The GOOD is location, people, breakfast, pool, convenient water taxi. We had included breakfast and it was delicous. Eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, french toast, pancakes, fresh fruit, rolls, yogurt, etc etc. Whatever you wanted.

They have 3 pools, and each one is very nice. They are not on a beach, but the water taxi is right at the edge of the hotel grounds, and just a 10 minutes boat ride to Taino Beach, and it's great. Can also use the Taino Resort pool and its lots of fun. Pelican Bay will provide you with beach towels.

The hotel is just 5 minute walk from Port Lucaya Market and there are shops and restaurants. Sadly, most of the place we remembered have been wiped out by the hurricanes, including both casinos.

The BAD is the room. Horrible is a better word. We had "waterside suite room 432". By suite they mean bedroom was separate from a sitting area. Balcony faced the bay and it's beautiful. But the furniture was so decrepit I would not sit outside. Everything in our room was ancient. VERY ancient. Chipped floors and bathroom tile, double sink but one didn't work, shower faucets were almost impossible to use and couldn't regulate the water, and no safety bars at all so had to be very careful not to fall. Bed was awful and pillows were so hard my ears hurt. The sheet on our bed was like a tablecloth. It covered the top of the mattress but just came down about 2 inches on each side, so could not tuck it in anywhere. I always clean anything I put on my clothes on or in, and thank goodness because the shelves were filthy.

The door handle to our room came off twice. Had to screw it back on. I'm glad Freeport is a safe area, because I didn't feel very secure in a room that had such a poor handle.

When we had housekeeping all she did was deliver towels, and didnt even hang them up, just left them on the counter. We had to call down for more soap, shampoo, coffee, cups, etc. The bathroom mirror had a big smear on it, and it was still there every time housekeeping finished cleaning. I don't think there was any cleaning at all, just the towel delivery.

We were told the hotel will be undergoing complete renovations. I hope so. There is so much to like about this hotel, but so much to hate about the room.

Room Tip: DON'T get room 432. I think "waterside suite" rooms on 4th floor are the really bad ones.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Barbara D
Reviewed 28 July 2018

The location is excellent for divers. It is only a minute from Unexso for diving. Many restaurants are nearby as well. The hotel needs remodeling. I was there for 10 days and never had enough hot water. I paid for their best room type because it has a tub and I have a bad back and feel much better with a hot bath. Despite multiple complaints about the water the problem was never resolved. It was also insulting to have the maintenance man put his hand under the faucet and tell me the water was fine when it was about 90 degreesF. I was offered another room but no help to move. On the floor of the room I found cereal and cigar residue. The maids would clean but it was the quickest cleaning job ever. My aqua socks were taken by the maid one day with the dirty towels and despite six calls to get them back I never heard a word about them. The room did have a fridge and a microwave which was very nice as well as some plates. The coffee maker did not work. The tv was good quality with adequate stations. The view as nice but nothing worth taking a photo. If you are not diving at Unexso I would go elsewhere. They also charge a resort fee. There is no resort. There is a swimming pool and that is it.

Room Tip: I would get the second floor to have a view. You can go higher but then you might have to walk or wait for the elevator.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo