See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 July 2016

dirty place, trash all over the place around the pool. the ice is in an open place where everyone reaches in. the wifi was terrible. the bed was horrible. the floors were dirty. the worse part was the hidden fees. I reserved this room on hotels.com. when i checked out they added $59 worth of hidden fees.

Room Tip: go to a nicer hotel for the same price when they add all the hidden fees
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 June 2016

I had one night before I went out to a bonefish lodge. It fit the bill. I wanted something close the airport and inexpensive. The staff was friendly and they had an inexpensive breakfast in the morning. The room was good sized with 2 queens and the air conditioning worked well. They have wifi in the lobby but no computers and can not print off anything from any device. Had to go up the street to the Freeport Library.

Room Tip: It is a pretty quiet are, probably the north side would be quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 March 2016 via mobile

The hotel is located down town, not on the beach. It is clean, comfortable, cool, and quite. It is not fancy, but it is very nice. The staff are very friendly and helpful. There is a pool and hot tub as well as a ping pong table. There is also a laundry if you need that.

They have a restaurant that serves breakfast and dinner, but no lunch. The breakfast special is two scrambled eggs, bacon, toast and coffee/tea for less than $5. The dinner menus is varied and everything I had was very good.

It is about a 10-15 minute bus ride ($1.25/ person each way) to the beach at Port Lucaya.

Imagine, all of this for less than $100/day.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Foxtrot-BandB
Reviewed 30 July 2015

Stayed there for business with a larger group.
The hotel and service was ok for a low budget.
Hotel appears quite worn down, although all amenities working ok.
Staff friendly and the atmosphere quite cosy - with a courtyard garden and swimming pool.
The surrounding area outside seems quite deserted the nearby bazaar closed down and other shops / bars as well. Apparently some years back the area was struck by a hurricane twice within short time and never recovered.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 June 2015

My brief stay at the Royal Islander Resort was event filled to say the least, I Arrived late evening after dinner with friends to find a dark lobby with a solitary security guard who initially refused to open the locked hotel door. (High Crime Area) After I explain to the guard that I had a reservation he reluctantly opened the door. Upon entering the lobby I presented my reservation code and identification, I was told by the security officer that the reception was closed and he was unable to honor my reservation, The gentleman then suggested that I sleep in the hotel lobby until the reception opened at 7am. I explained to the gentleman that I had paid for a room and did not intend to sleep in the hotel lobby, I repeatedly asked that a night auditor or manager be contacted regarding my situation, he refused. After arguing for two hours the gentlemen decided give me a room on the condition that I give him a cash payment as that he had zero access to the office, to verify my reservation I reluctantly gave him the deposit and he escorted me to a room to which I was not given a key. In the morning I made my way to the reception to express my discomfort with the events of the preceding night and to claim my deposit. I was met by a surly desk attendant who refused to return my deposit and expressed little concern for my dilemma the night before. She explained that because the front desk was closed they could not honor my online rate and that my card was not charged instead they charged me for my stay with my cash deposit, which included taxes and fees that exceed the rate quoted by reservation web portal. To say the least I was livid. In conclusion do not stay at the Royal Islander Hotel ,it is inadequately staffed, horrible customer service, the rooms are dated and moldy , the hot water didn’t work and worst of all its located in a very seedy run down part of town, and if you arrive in late evening you will have to sleep in the lobby !!! STAY AWAY FROM THIS DUMP!!

Room Tip: There is a seedy local bar next door , get a room away from this place because it gets very loud and rowdy.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
6  Thank Sean C
Gerta D, General Manager at Royal Islander, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2015

Dear Guest,

We sincerely apologize for your displeasure with the Royal Islander Hotel. When you booked, your booking company clearly states that our front desk closes at 11:00p.m. You arrived at the hotel around 2:30a.m. and security did allow you to stay in a room. Our front desk honored your booking rate, however you were unhappy with the fact that you had to pay a VAT tax, which is a new Bahamas Government tax, that was instilled in January 2015.

We pride ourselves on making every guest stay a happy and comfortable one and will do our best to improve our services to our valued guest.

Again, please accept our apologies for your inconvenience.