“Beautiful Beach!”
Review of Island Seas Resort

Island Seas Resort
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed 20 August 2009

I'll start with the negative. We arrived and found out we could not check in till 4pm. However, they stored our luggage for us. We came back and the room still was not ready for several of us who came of the Discovery Ship. The manager waits until after 3pm to "check" the rooms before handing them out. When they found out we had just got married 3 days prior, we were given a beautiful condo on the beach and free dinner for our wait. The room had no towels when we got there, but we called and they actually bought up towels right away. Leave tips for the maids and your room will be clean. The ladies at the desk are rude. However the other wait staff are the best and are very helpful. Jeanio, the Concierge was the best and got us free drinks since we were newlyweds. Our room was clean and spacious. I don't know what beach some others visited, but the beach there was beautiful, clean and the waters were crystal blue. We even saw men out at 7am picking trash and seaweed up everyday. SeaGrapes was a little pricey, but the food was actually good. Be advised that most of the restaurants and bars include their 15% tip in your bill. Zoras in Porta Lucaya is an inexpensive place to eat with great food. We went to the fish fry on Wed and it was great as well as the Junkanoo Festival. Island Seas has a free shuttle to Porta Lucaya. We enjoyed sitting at Coconuts and the little Conch Shack on the beach. They do run short on beach towels. I would advise you to save your towels until you see fresh one's out then trade them. The people other than the desk clerks are warm and very friendly in most places. We were leary after reading the reviews, but decided that once you get past the check in mess and learn how to pester them for towels, it was a nice place and we will go back again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DeltaLady6
Write a ReviewReviews (1,321)

Reviewed 5 August 2009

OMG this was a wonderful vacation. I was reading some of the other reviews but I have disagree with some. I too had the all inclusive package (drinks and food) grant it many of the drinks that attempted to order were not included but the food was decent the best meal was dinner. But the customer service of the employees was great. They were very friendly and welcoming. Soon as we got there we were given comp Bahama Mamas, the bellman walked us and our bags to the room and made sure everything was ok and all appliances were working in the room. The beach was so beautiful and clean. We went everyday!!! We rode the jet skis roght there at the resort. I have to say Bahamians are some of the nicest people I've met. Port Lucaya is a good place to get souviners many of the vendors will give you deals. I got 6 t-shirts for $20, if that ain't cheap idk what is. This is not a place for the hard party goers thoug its a very laid back town. It is a place to relax and just enjoy what is around you. We were there on Emancapation Weekend( like 4th of July in US) so there was a lot of events goin on but other than that its a place to get away from the city life.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
5  Thank Animalluver
Reviewed 2 August 2009

We stayed at the Island Seas Resort a couple of weeks ago, and other than for a few glitches in the beginning (broken coffee maker, needed more towels), we had a great time. Remember to slowww down, as island time is not like American time. I was a little cautious after reading some of the bad reviews, but we found most of the staff very friendly and insightful on island activities. The 1 br condo was nice, about what you would expect for the islands. I would recommend renting a car, as the resort is a little ways out from the center of town. With the car we were able to explore some fabulous beaches which were very uncrowded and awesome. One you must see is called Paradise Cove, about a 20min drive but well worth it. There is a reef right off of the beach that you can swim to...beautiful! Another great spot was the Lucayan National Park. The Port Lucaya Marketplace was the best place to shop, and the best restaurant we went to was called Bikini Bottom,a short walk down the seawall from the resort. Take advantage of local conch shacks on the beaches if you want the real island experience!Another highlight was Trikk Pony horsebackriding along the beach, Iook at their website...it really is that amazing. Overall I would recommend Island Seas. The only thing I would not recommend is their restaurant Sea Grape, as we had difficulty with service, but there are plenty of other options! Hope this helps you make your decision.

7  Thank travelerfromsc
Reviewed 30 July 2009

Okay..First let me say, I will be the first to admit you cannot please everyone...I am currently at Island Seas, have been here since Monday. We actually called and changed our flights to leave early because we were so unimpressed. We booked and paid for a 1 bdrm for 7 days/6 nts with the all inclusive option thru gobahama.com . We were told ALL food and drinks were included..Well here at the resort, it is whatever they choose for you to get..Corona, daiquiris, martinis, none of those are included..The restaurant has had the same exact menu every night with no variation at all, so tonight we went to Bikini Bottoms just for a different selection of food.. You have to wait on the small outside tiki hut to open before you can even get drinks at lunch...not even a coke will be handed out until noon even though you finish breakfast around 8.. 4 hrs with nothing to drink in 90 degree humid heat is no fun...Food has just been okay, of course, there is really no selection much on the all-incl..

On to the rooms, they a big enough but we literally have half of a shower door. It does not slide and falls to pieces if you touch it..the resort is nowhere close to full and having 2 small children we asked for a room on the beachside but was very unpolitely told no way at checkin, so we are across the street with cars speeding thru and have to cross over anytime we want to get to the beach or pool. The room floors are so filthy I will not let my children walk without shoes. No papertowel, lipstick still on glasses, have to beg for towels. We are 4 people who like to shower when coming in from the beach..we get 4 rags and 4 towels per day, that is it..housekeeping has yet to change any bedding..

The beach...it is not what you would expect. The water is not that pretty and the weeds and trash are abundant.. I didn't even go in the water today due to it being so nasty.

The pool area is nice, probably the best feature about the resort.

The strawmarkets at Port Lucaya are not what everyone says...they are very high, $ 18 for a tshirt of any quality..I found some cheaper ones at $ 5 each.

And lastly, the resort staff..with the exception of one nice, young bartender, they are rude, non-caring and unmotivated. If you ask for anything you get an eye roll or a sigh..I waited 10 mins just for a guy to give me a diet coke at lunch today.

I would choose to stay somewhere else IF I ever came back but my husband and I have agreed this is a first and last trip to the Bahamas...

1  Thank dtitravel
Reviewed 26 July 2009

My family and I spent 7 days and 6 nights at the Island Seas. This was my second time there, and I must say they are getting better and better. I work in the hospitality industry and I'm quite familiar with complaints and what pleases guest. The service is wonderful and friendly. I ended up knowing everyone on a first name basis. I was called everyday to assure that all my needs were being met. As an owner there, I was more than satisfied with the service. It was very clean and towels and trash were attended to daily. The beach is beautiful, and right outside your door. The food at the hotel was good, but we enjoyed venturing out and trying the local restaurants. The fish fry is a must. From my mother to my teenagers, we all had a great time and plenty to do. My sister and her husband accompanied us and they are owners now too.We met other wonderful families and can't wait to go back next year!

6  Thank kimluv2trvl