“Not the Hilton”
Review of Ethel's Cottages

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Eleuthera
Ethel's Cottages
Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Eleuthera
Reviewed 16 October 2003

You'll have to ask the locals for directions, because there's no sign in front to let you know you're at Ethel's Cottages. When I first walked in the "cottage" (actually a row of hotel rooms), the thing I noticed was the smell of bug spray, which Ethel attempted to mask with air freshener. Sure enough, both cans were sitting on the dresser.
Obviously she forgot to spray the ceiling, because there were a half a dozen spiders up there. The curtain rods were rusty. The bedrooms were so small that the beds were pushed up against the wall. The pillows were covered with plastic. Some dog outside barked half the night, and a rooster started up at 5 AM. And only the bedrooms were air conditioned. But if you're looking for more than just a hotel room, there's a decent kitchen and living room included. The place is relatively clean. And the Caribbean is just across the street (although there's no beach). Ethel herself is a charming lady. But just be careful. You pay her up front. She told me it cost $100. When I told her that Trip Advisor said it's only $50-55, she gave me a $20 discount since I was only using one bedroom. It came to $84 with tax. I only had $20s, so she took $100 and said she would bring me my change. I never got my change. She has no office, and her house is a few blocks away.
When I asked the locals, everybody gave me different directions, and to this day I haven't found her house. I finally gave up.

48  Thank Hi_Class_Connoisseur