“Dont forget your coat and calculator!!”

The Whitebrook Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Whitebrook
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We first visited this restaurant 4 years ago and at that time I left a glowing review. In fact the restaurant was so good we decided we would return annually to spend our anniversary at The Whitebrook.

We had some great years until this year...

On arrival the room we had booked was very cold. We turned the heating up and went downstairs for our meal. On arrival to the restaurant we were told that there was problems with the gas and the meal would take longer as the chef was using an electric plate. We were initially happy with this as we had all evening. But it didn't take us long to realise that it also meant that there was no heating in the restaurant. We asked if there were any electric heaters that could be used but were told no there was nothing that could be done to combat the sub zero temperatures.

Needless to say nearly 4 hours later and still not finished we were so cold we left our table and went back to our room. (We left the other guests still eating wearing a variety of scarves, jackets etc. )

Our room of course was freezing although the waiter did arrive shortly after with a heater(why were these not on in the restaurant earlier?) We both slept in our clothes that night.

The next morning we discovered there was no hot water for showers etc and of course the restaurant by now was freezing cold.

Breakfast took over an hour and a half as we waited for rock hard toast and a small fried breakfast.

Not once did the chef come out and explain what was going on.

When we all came to pay we were told the room was free as it had been so cold and there had been no hot water etc. Initially this seemed fair but suddenly one of the guests said they had been overcharged by £100 and therefore really the room was not free.

We then realised that we too had been overcharged by £80.00. Some of this overpayment was the fact that The Whitebrook takes a deposit of £50.00 when you book and this had not been taken off our bills.

Guests at this stage were becoming very angry and yet although the owner and his wife were on the premises no one came to sort the mess out.

Overall a really miserable experience with no one taking charge or explaining what an earth was going on.

The outcome of all this is that we will of course never return to The Whitebrook and would like to thank the other guests who suggested much nicer places in which to celebrate our anniversary in the future.

Chris H, Owner at The Whitebrook Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Dear kazseptember,

Thank you for your further feedback.

On the night that you stayed at The Whitebrook there was an issue with our gas supply that I could do nothing about. I have since found out that this did not only impact us but other local restaurants also.

I would just like to make a few points as I previously made on the night of your stay and again via email to yourselves.

I would like to apologise for the restaurant being cold during your stay. Unfortunately this was beyond our control, due to an issue with our gas supply, this was explained to all our guests including yourselves by members of our team. I then came out later to talk with all tables individually to explain the situation further, I apologise that I could not have done this sooner as I was busy in the kitchen which as you are aware took longer than usual, as we had lost the use of all our gas ovens and stoves so had to cook everyones meal from one electrical portable stove. We were in contact with our gas supplier but they informed us that nothing could be resolved until the morning.

As I explained to you on the night our gas supply provides the heating and hot water which unfortunately meant that there was no central heating to your room at night or hot water for the morning. However, we did provide you with an electric heater. Unfortunately we did not have any electric heaters at the restaurant and these were collected after I finished cooking to ensure every bedroom had a heater.

Myself and my team worked very hard on that evening to keep service running as close to normal as possible.

With regards to your bill, this was discounted to reflect the issues that you had on the evening of your stay.

I apologise that you feel that we should have spoken to you again in the morning before your departure, if you would have asked a member of our team then I would have been more than happy to do so, at the time both myself and my wife were trying to resolve the gas supply situation as quickly as possible.

Kind Regards

Chris Harrod

Reviewed 31 March 2018

We dined at the Whitebrook and had the 7 course taster menu, the restaurant is lovely and the staff were very attentive. The food was excellent but there was a wait of half an hour between each course which was not necessary and ruined the experience for us. If it hadn't been so long we would have liked to have the cheese course as well!!
I have still given the Whitebrook 5 stars because on the website it does state that you should allow 3 and a half hours for the meal which is exactly how long it took!
Unfortunately we would not return only because of the length of the sitting.

1  Thank michhill1
Reviewed 29 March 2018

We were greeted by a cheerful pair of greeks bearing drinks,canapes and wonderful food that more than made up for the filthy weather.The "greeks" were polite,knowledgable,courteous and perfectly friendly.The food was very good but the 3 different ways of cooking/serving the Suckling pig was outstanding.Try the 5 course menu-we did and loved it.
Well done and thank you

1  Thank gareth47
Reviewed 28 March 2018

I took my partner to The Whitebrook for her birthday and booked a superior room so that we could enjoy fully the experience of the tasting menu and a few glasses of wine. In a fit of bravado, I ordered a bottle of "House" champagne in the room expecting it to be non vintage and reasonably priced. What arrived was a bottle of 2012 vintage bubbly at a cool temperature and a rather cool price - although I only found this out after sampling the wine so it was too late to return it. No wonder it tasted good - it was £70 worth - too much in my view and I think we should have been asked if we wanted vintage or non vintage when ordering "House" champagne.

In a beautifully furnished expensive room, I would not expect an annoying red line down the TV screen which persisted for about 15 minutes whenever it was turned on, a wash basin with a partially blocked drain and despite a very promising looking double sized shower, a showerhead that only dribbled if anything other than fully cold was demanded. House keeping is not keeping up!

The food though was delicious - after a couple of rather underwhelming canapes which worried us about the main event came seven exquisite courses which, because they were quite sparing, did not leave you feeling overfull. The artistic presentation of the dishes and the combinations of flavours were surprising in some cases but carefully thought out and invariably complementary and the cooking of delicate items was perfect. I even enjoyed a pear dessert and I normally can't bear pears!!

Reviewed 14 March 2018

Having been for the 7 course dinner 3 months ago we were lucky enough to be able to go for a 5 course lunch. This is set for the table and was excellent, the tastes and presentation were just great. I was worried that a return trip could not live up to the first but I'm pleased to say it did. Great friendly service as always and accommodated our lactose intolerant friend even in the cheese course!