The Inn on the Loch
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Urr Valley Hotel(Castle Douglas)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
The Market Inn Hotel(Castle Douglas)
  • Restaurant
Kings Arms Hotel(Castle Douglas)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
Abbey Arms Hotel(New Abbey)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewslovely receptionistlast minblew us awayideal central locationlarge showerroad noiselovely lunchan overnight staycomfortable bedpatio doorson arrivalpiea great stayfamily roomcouldn't faultenjoyable staypudding
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Foolishly returned to the inn on the loch after five months, room was in poor repair, mattress on the bed was old and very uncomfortable. On suite stank of damp. There had obviously been a change of cook , food was passable but over priced. Overall hotel condition in need of a lick of paint. Poor quality for price.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I was due to stay one night booked by my work. Arrived at 4.45 to find the place deserted and under renovation. Could not make contact so left and drove back to Castle Douglas where I booked into the Market Inn hotel.
Later made contact with the owner who said that she had to leave for a while but had left a key. Where I wonder?
What hotel has no staff on duty?
Never book this hotel. Deserves 0 stars!!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 January 2018

I booked this "hotel" as a last min get away to celebrate the end of the holidays with some family. We arrived at around 5.30pm to a locked up road side restaurant. There was a large closed sign in the window but we tried the door and thankfully it was open even though no one was around. After waiting several minutes in the dark restaurant a gent appeared with a shocked look on his face. After informing him we had a reservation he replied with "oh I was told you'd be here at 4.30".......something I did say at booking but with poor weather conditions our journey took a little longer. I've never felt so unwelcome in a hotel before! To add to this the gent was dressed in a an old jumper, shorts and flip flops. He certainly didn't look professional.

After informing him what we had booked we were then led to a separate building across the dark carpark. This is obviously a relatively new building and looks quite nice, Our triple room was at the end of the corridor and was pretty decent; large king size bed, nice shower/toilet and a lovely balcony overlooking the loch. We were given keys to the next room to get tea/coffee/cups as there weren't enough in our room. As we booked it as a triple there was a sofa bed "made up" on arrival (a white sheet placed over a letter sofa with a pillow and duvet). This was the most uncomfortable thing ever! It really wasn't suitable to sleep on. The toilet/shower was ok however the soap/shower gel etc hadn't been changed since the last guests and were half full.

We left to go grab something to eat in Castle Douglas at around 7pm, by this point the whole restaurant/bar was completely locked up and in pitch black. I was glad we didn't arrive any later or no one would've been there at all. It really didn't feel very safe....we were in a little building by the side of the road with no one around and only a little cupboard door lock on our room. The front door of the building was left unlocked all night.

Breakfast was served in the restaurant.....have to say the food was good and the lady was pleasant but the building was freezing. It just had a real feeling of being closed.

I had booked through Booking.com, £89 for a triple room for 3 adults but on check out I was told there was a £10 supplement for the third adult making it £99. I disagreed with this and the woman agreed to only charge the £89. After leaving I double checked and nothing was said about a supplement.....I looked at booking a double and it was only £79 so there was already £10 added to the room price.

As I stated earlier the whole place had a feeling of being closed down. I know they have a water sports centre attached, which is understandably closed in the winter but I really think they should think about closing the whole site for the winter season if they're not willing to have the bar and restaurant open for guests. It is advertised at "The Inn on the Loch, a waterside hotel and restaurant" but it's really only serviced rooms by the side of the road.

I honestly wouldn't return as there is nothing directly beside the "hotel", only a busy busy road and service was very poor. It lacked professionalism. A real disappointment.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
5  Thank ThePromise27
Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

Had a great stay, our room (8) was perfect with a beautiful view over the loch. Lovely bedding and white fluffy towels. Really cosy room even though it was really cold last night . Staff couldn't be nicer making sure we had everything we needed. Dinner was delicious and excellent value for money. Breakfast was faultless one of the best we have had in ages. Thank you very much and we will come back again
Anne-Marie Boner

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2017 via mobile

Just marvellous had my wedding here and stayed over was the most amazing place could not fault it at all defiantly 5star Helen the owner was wonderful room was really clean and comfortable would come again to stay

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple