“Highlight of Our South Carolina Mini Vacation”

Momma Lou's Gullah Cuisine
Reviewed 22 December 2017

Went to this little place not really know what to expect. We met our relatives there and it was a hit by all four of us. Three of us had the fried chicken with various sides, red beans, fries, coleslaw, black-eyed peas, stewed tomatoes (I think) and cornbread. The smartest one of the group got the Shrimp and Grits's. While all the food was delicious the Shrimp and Grits were the best any of us had every tasted. At the end we were treated to some peach cobbler and sweet potato cobbler. Both were truly outstanding. We fell in love with the owners and could have stayed all afternoon. Seek out this place even if a few miles out of the way. We did and were not disappointed. They are closed on Wednesday. Enjoy.

1  Thank chefluee

Reviewed 7 November 2017

This is not a fancy place. It's more like your grandma's kitchen, if your grandma knew how to cook good Southern food or soul food or was part of the Gullah people who were brought here from Western Africa as slaves. The placemats give more information about the Gullah people - be sure to read them.
OK - the food. Each day there are a few different choices featured. We went on Monday and it was smothered pork chops or pigs feet or fried chicken. Then under that are 4 or 5 sides. Today, crabby rice, okra and tomatoes, mac & cheese, collards (if I remember properly). You tell them how many chops or sides your want and they heap up a 3 compartment take-out container (we each got 2 sides & a main). If you order more sides you get them in a cup-sized foam cup with lid.
The menu has a list of other things that you can get instead of that day's featured items. They also told us about additional sides that weren't on the menu like chicken and rice or red peas and rice.
You can buy iced tea too. They make it there dark and sweet. We asked for 1/3 sweet & 2/3 un and buddy, it was sweet. Oh, and they give you a foam cup and lid containing a dessert when they bring your meal. Today's dessert was peach cobbler and it was good! Oh, and you get a piece of cornbread too. Heavy cornbread, not wimpy soft cornbread. Soul food I tell you.
The portions are outrageous. And the bill for the 2 of us was $22.15. We took home half of it. Because it was near closing time she also gave us the one cobbler that was left and some of the okra that we raved about. When she brought my husband's dinner, she said, "I hope you're not allergic to crab, because I messed up and put crabby rice in instead of peas and rice". Husband said, "that's all right". Then she whips out a foam cup of the peas and rice too, saying, "it's too much trouble to take it out after it's in there, so this is on the house".
I'm sure they make up the day's featured foods and keep the warm throughout the day - and that's fine. That way they can scoop and serve quickly. The smothered chop and gravy was served hot, the fried chicken kind of room temperature and the breading was soft, not crunchy like when it's fresh out of the fryer. But it was super tasty and quick.
Her mom, Momma Lou, passed in July and she still misses her. Momma Lou didn't work in the restaurant, she told us, "we just stole her recipes". Good natured people.
There's lots of seating outside & 4 tables inside too. They close at 7 PM and they are not open on Wednesdays.
If you want to experience genuine soul food, this is the place. These is a small, family owned restaurant serving up soul food with soul.

1  Thank GrammieSammie
Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

I enjoyed the collards the most, they weren't seasoned, but they were perfectly cooked. The ribs were cooked in a pressure cooker, with good sauce and flavor. The bread and peach cobbler were seasoned with pumpkin pie spices. I enjoyed the lima beans with okra, which were very soft, maybe over cooked. The meal reminded me a lot of my grandmas cooking from the Pennsylvania Dutch country.

1  Thank galavafopa
Reviewed 7 July 2017

Our whole stay my in laws wouldn't stop talking about this place. We didn't get there, but then we decided to stay another night and I'm SO glad we did! It's better for takeout as they only have four tables. They have daily specials and a regular menu, but only open until six, so go early. The shrimp and grits changed my life...it sounds dramatic but I mean it. I've had grits and enjoyed them, but the gravy, sausage, and onion gave this dish something truly special. We also enjoyed fried chicken livers, a favorite of mine, frogmore stew, hush puppies, gumbo, and cole slaw. Everything was amazing and I didn't want to come back home. If anyone says Gullah food, this is the place to go!

2  Thank shartnett1801
Reviewed 2 July 2017 via mobile

Delicious food served by lovely ladies. Wish we could go back & start our trip over...would have eaten here every meal! Everything we tried was delicious - Make sure you put this on the top of your food list!

1  Thank Katie Burke P