It is always a pleasure to see someone working in a job they're born to do. Jay, the owner of Gerard's Place, is someone like that. She is an amazing host, welcoming, helpful, competent and generous. She always has time to chat or recommend activities, without ever being annoying or intrusive. She spontaneously drove us to several places without ever even mentioning charging us for it, she and Joshua helped us a lot to make the best of our three days in Tanah Rata and she has a really cute dog (which has nothing to do with the place but I always prefer dog people). We travel a lot, and we had many really great hosts, but Jay may have been the best.
The rooms are nice (they have ones with or without private bathroom), you get breakfast there - but, fair warning, it's quite cold inside. While that is perfect to cool off in between travels through hot Malaysia, you're going to want to bring long trousers and a jacket. It's colder in Cameron Highlands in general so you'll need those either way.
For our time there, we decided not to book any tours and were quite happy with that decision. After consulting Joshua, we settled on spending one day hiking (we chose trail 1, which is supposed to be the hardest of the trails they have, and while it was steep and muddy and challenging, a tour guide probably would not have improved the experience for us) and one day looking at tea plantations. Both days were amazing. I got the feeling that a lot of people only go on organized group tours in Cameron Highlands, which might be nice but is not a must.
All in all: I absolutely recommend spending a couple of days in the Cameron Highlands, and I would always book a room at Gerard's Place again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Gerard’s Place has been created with that homely ambiance in mind, offering the kind of peace and tranquility that one will seek for after travelling for days with a big heavy pack on the back in blistering lowlands’ daytime 35 Celsius heat. Gerard’s Place offers 8 tidy, comfortable, and spanking rooms for two, and a room for three. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com so you can book your Gerard's Place reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gerard`s Place Hotel Tanah Rata
- Gerard's Place Cameron Highlands/Tanah Rata