All reviews chef henry gregory family local knowledge skill level popoyo area awesome trip perfect waves intimate knowledge pool deck outer reef three meals a day special week poor country local chef great company costa rica i've heard
Reviewed 28 November 2016

This is the perfect surf vacation. The Popoyo area is jam packed with incredibly consistent surf spots. If you have access to a boat (which is easier said than done if you don't stay with these guys) you can even get a spot to yourselves on occasion. Marsh and Robert know the area better than anyone and will take you exactly where you need to be, when you need to be there. The resort itself is beautiful. On top of a hill so you're away from the mosquitos (I didn't get bitten once all week), insane view, stunning pool with hammocks and loungers all around. It is seriously paradise. Probably the single biggest advantage of staying here (other than the awesome guides of course) is the food. Chef Henry will make you 3 incredible (and HUGE!) meals a day, all included in the price and timed around the tides to make sure you're out surfing in the best possible conditions. It is an unbelievable deal. I'm not sure this can be topped as far as surf vacations go.

Reviewed 28 August 2016

My friends and I stayed in a 6-person villa with Two Brothers in August 2016 and had a top-notch surf vacation as a result. The accommodations are comfortable (not lush, though, FYI), tons of character, and enough sun and wonderful (recovery) hammocks to put stars in your eyes.

Marsh (the older of the brothers) was our guide for the week, and is beginning to take the business reigns from his father. The Two Brothers family has been operating and mostly living in Popoyo for 17+ years, granting them unparalleled local knowledge,surfing/fishing experience, and community reputation. They took us surfing 2-3 times a day at different spots, and would have given us more if our bodies had been up to the challenge. Since Marsh, Auggie, and Robert discovered all the best Popoyo breaks to begin with, you can have confidence they'll always bring you to the best spot for your skill level given the swell, weather, and crowds.

It's important to note-- some of us were rather "green" surfers; Marsh, being an extreme surfer, was very humble, considerate, and easy-going with respect to the skill differential. He's a genuinely nice guy, loves what he does, and always kept us safe and happy-- in and out of the water.

The Two Brothers property-- "estate", as I'd call it-- sits at the peak of a massive hill in Popoyo, where they can step out of bed to scope the waves morning, and where you will have complete peace and quiet and refuge from the mosquitoes. There's a dope pool and plenty of delightful hammocks and chairs.

We did the "meal inclusive" option, and it was a game-changer. Chef Henry is very talented, whipping up three DYNAMITE meals per day with hefty portion sizes to keep the surfer bodies fueled. I'm not sure, but I believe they import meat from the US... either way, none of us experienced sickness during our stay in the country. Two Brothers will provide filtered water for you.

The scenery was gorgeous, the waves were epic, and Two Brothers was a home run. What are you waiting for?

Reviewed 27 August 2016

It is only 24 hours since I returned from a week at Two Brothers, and already I am wondering if I was really there or only dreamed it. I have traveled to many places in the world, but few if any as magical as this one, from the long days of surf on an incredible variety and consistency of waves, to the family-style meals cooked by the wonderful Chef Henry, to the wise and wonderful stories told by Robert Gregory, the maverick dreamer who bought this idyllic Las Salinas hillside two decades ago and envisioned what it might become. Gregory and his two sons (the "two brothers" of the title) are among the pioneers who first discovered much of the country's surfable coast, and entering into the life they have made for themselves there is like discovering a real-life Swiss Family Robinson. Alight here and you are no more than 20 minutes from more than a dozen world-class surf spots where head-high barrels are considered "small" and more than six guys in the lineup is "crowded." You will surf from sunrise to sunset, and you will dream of waves in your well-deserved sleep. And when it is finally time to go home, you shall begin counting the days until you are able to return.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 August 2016

(skip to last paragraph before booking your trip)

Incredible week at Two Brothers during August 2016 - stayed in the largest villa (they have four total, in addition to their house) with 5 of my friends and loved every minute of it. Honestly could not speak more highly of Robert & Marsh (who were great hosts, guides, entertainers, etc) or their staff as a whole (who very welcoming, professional, etc) and I'm definitely looking forward to going back in the coming years.

The surfing conditions were fantastic - I'll leave it at that because websites like surfline have already written about them extensively. I am a beginner surfer and I think I improved considerably over the course of the week.

I could write an essay about the things Two Brothers does well, but anyone with specific questions should just browse through other reviews (Jim H's is a great start, we were down there at the same time) &/or just give Robert a call.

***The only thing I would add that other reviews fail to mention is that if you decide to book this trip, call Robert directly and make your reservation with him. We booked ours via Waterways (a company they use to handle advertising and other misc items), but Waterways takes a 15% cut of the cost of your trip which is crazy. Literally all they do is send you a hideous t shirt and a printed copy of your flight info, both of which I threw away immediately. Robert, Marsh and the rest of the Two Brothers staff (especially Chef Henry) worked incredibly hard all week to make our trip a success and I'm sure that with 15% more revenue they could do an even better job.

Room Tip: all four villas looked beautiful
Reviewed 24 August 2016

My boyfriend and I stayed at Two Brothers for a little over three weeks. We were welcomed with big smiles and friendly staff. Our sleeping arrangements were very accommodating; kitchen, shower, fridge, A/C, wifi, clean and comfortable beds, and beautiful custom architecture.
The resort is on top of a hill, away from all the tourists, mosquitos and heat. It's a nice little escape with stunning views of pastures, surf breaks and a good sunset.
Henry our cook made amazing healthy meals. The surf guides are friendly and very experienced. And there's even a masseuse available upon request.

We were able to surf every day, sometimes three times a day. With happy bellies, lots of sleep, safety, and comfort, there's no where else to stay in this surfer's dream.

Room Tip: Each room is it's own private villa, so you can't go wrong with any of them.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple