See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I signed up for Tripadvisor after I read the last review. My experience was very different when I stayed here for a few nights around the beginning of 2014.

Great location, period. I enjoyed my view of Hidalgo. Across the street is the beautiful Hotel Gran Ancira.

I moved here from the cheapest hotel downtown (in the Barrio Antiguo). This was the next hotel up in price at a super special of 500 pesos (about USD$40, credit cards accepted at the same rate) per night, as advertised on the sidewalk. (The rack rate is supposed to be around 900 pesos, but I suspect the regular rate to be closer to 700.) The cleaning lady was very helpful and friendly and provided the soap that was somehow missing in the room. I was surprised that the heating did not work in my room; however, the maintenance man, also very helpful, after checking it brought a space heater to use for the rest of my stay. Yes, the smoke detectors were beeping and echoing all down the hall, but when I mentioned this at the front desk in the morning all the batteries were changed out within hours. The remote to the television did not work, but one of the employees came up to the room to reenter the correct code after new batteries did not fix the problem. My card did not always work, but it was reprogrammed at the front desk right away. A substitute cleaning lady cut my towels from two to one, but again when I mentioned it to the regular of course I got my second towel. The Wi Fi signal in the room was very weak, so I did appreciate the free use of the computer with Internet at the entrance to the hotel.

As you can see, even though I had no problems whatsoever with hot water in the "dial-lever" bathtub, there were any number of imperfections at this hotel. However, it was a real bargain for downtown Monterrey, and, most importantly, all my concerns were addressed promptly and considerately by staff that was readily available. If I can get a similar discount next time, I will be happy to stay here.

A couple notes:

The cleaning ladies, as in some other budget hotels that I have been in in Mexico, are not allowed to touch any money in the room. Apparently, tips are not usual. My solution is to leave them on a piece of paper with PROPINA and an arrow. The regular cleaning lady was definitely deserving of them.

The unmarked hotel taxi was relatively expensive (80 pesos to the bus station, 270 pesos to the airport). However, I had to leave early in the morning and there is never much traffic on the hotel's street due to its configuration, so it was a great last-minute option for me.

Room Tip: I enjoyed my second-floor room overlooking Hidalgo with the view of passersby and the beautiful Hotel Gran Ancira. Due to the pedestrianization of the area, there is not much traffic on this part of the street, so it was not noisy. There seems to be an underground cantina next to the hotel, but this did not bother me. Even the impromptu karaoke in the lobby on New Year's (!) did not filter up to the room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

This Hotel is not worth the price it costs. The stuff at the hotel is not friendly. Technically everything is old. We needed to ask 4-5 times (2 days) and insist very hard to get warm water for the shower! We believe that the warm water boiler was turned off to make economies. During our whole stay in this "hotel" the smoke-detectors were beeping in the corridors because they were running out of battery ( we also informed about this problem at the reception) but this was without interest for the hotel management. We will never again return to this hotel

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Arsène S
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I stayed here several times and I have to say that it is one of the best option in this city. Excellent location, rooms clean, friendly staff and not expensive at all.

It has parking lot in the top of the building, it is in the heart of the city center and well...I really recommend this place.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Lunita_desertica
Reviewed 16 November 2009

I traveled here in Oct 09. We took a bus from Matamoras to Monterrey and then taxi to the Main Plaza area to look for a hotel. There are plenty of hotels so you do not need a reservation but don't let any taxi drivers take you to a hotel of their choice. I think they make a commission on bringing travelers in. Hotel Colonial we found while trolling the area. We paid 585 pesos each night=$44. usd. We had a wonderful room overlooking a cute park. This is right across a narrow street from Hotel Arnica, which cost twice as much. The bell hop was very friendly and spoke some english. We are working on improving our spanish. There is a computer in the lobby that you can use for free. I liked being able to check my email. The room had a king sized bed, 2 lovely windows and a adequate batrhoom. The entire hotel is a colonial style and very nice. Clean. The lobby was gorgeous and there was an area outside our room with a set of chairs with real leather seats. Looked all hand made. Really nice. When we left, the bell hop arranged for a taxi back to the bus station and he told us that Hotel Colonial is our home in Monterrey. Delightful. You will be pleased. It was easy to walk the plaza and see the monuments and museum. The Barrio Antigua is lovely with old building, lots of clubs and excellent dining. No swimming pool at Hotel Colonial but not many in any hotel in Monterrey. A visit to Monterrey is a visit to a city for sights not sitting around a pool.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2009

If you can't afford a fancy hotel but are too old for the hostel scene, Hotel Colonial is a good choice. The rooms aren't the most up to date, but that's more than made up for by the helpful staff and amazing location, right in la Zona Rosa, close to the plaza, and within a stone's throw from Barrio Antiguo.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends