“Fun Day Tour”

Mario Cobos - Day Tours
Ranked #26 of 37 Tours in Huatulco
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We talked to another couple at our resort that booked a boat tour through Mario and could not say enough great things. So we were able to find another couple that was interested and we booked a day tour with him. He picked us up at the hotel via taxis. The overall price included the taxi pick up but we had to pay for the return taxi. We took a boat out of the Santa Cruz marina that was around 15 minutes away from our hotel (Secrets). We were on a search to see dolphins or whales and we were successful in seating three dolphins and four sea turtles. Mario and our boat captain had two fishing lines out the back of the boat and we were successful in catching four fish. I believe it was three black tuna and one chula. We stopped at two beach areas to snorkel. The first was what Mario called The Little Caribbean. Here the water was turquoise like the Caribbean water and powder sand. However, the snorkeling was not very good here. We then we to San Augustine Bay where we met Mario's friends at a restaurant. They were wonderful and nice and prepared the chula fish that we caught earlier. Mario's wife also prepared fresh tamales that he had in a cooler as a surprise, this was a wonderful treat and were excellent. She is a wonderful cook and opens their home on Sundays to raise additional money for the family. Here at this bay the snorkeling was much better. Mario is very educated on the sea and the sea life. He would dive down and bring up different things from below. He caught with his hands a balloon / puff fish and a porcupine fish and was careful not to endanger the fish. On our way back he told us he also provides yoga and massage therapy. He provided me a 10 minute massage and it was heavenly! I wish I would have found him earlier as I would have went to him for an hour massage. The overall day tour was $220 for four people. Very well worth the money to get our and experience Huatulco. Mario is now our new friend whom I cannot wait to see on our next trip to Huatulco.

Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

After reading many reviews we decided hey this is the guy we want to take us out on a water adventure !! Do a little snorkelling hopefully see some water life . The day started out great Mario was a ball of energy talk talk talk when we arrived at Santa Augustine we thought he was snorkelling with us turns out the water was to cold for him this was disappointing ! He did then serve us a lunch his wife had packed it was very good but he also made sure to drop hints about tipping her . The one thing we did learn was all about Mario !!!! The boat captain did a awesome job good thing he was concerned about us one the way back as Mario seemed to forget we were even on the boat he was to busy talking with the captain and not once to us !
When we arrived back at Santa Cruz it was quick get off boat, pay me now here's your cab good bye !
We paid 200 US for a half day with Mario . Was it worth it no he started out great and then just lost interest . Very disappointed in his service . Would we recommend him no !!!
find someone else that is more interested in showing you the beauty of huatulco then talking about himself !

3  Thank sasktrip
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Mario - contact "cobosmario@hotmail.com- describes himself as a bird guide, an impression repeated in the Moon Oaxaca Handbook 2011. The truth is that he is not a bird guide. Whenever he sees a bird he shouts and scares it away. In one dreadful outing we had to identify the birds for him. We went into the coffee plantations in the hills above Huatulco in places and at a time of the year- January- when other experienced birders have reported at least 20 new birds. As a result of Marios incompetence we found only one- a day completely wasted. Do NOT use him. Try Cornelio (birdguidecornelio@yahoo.com.mx) or Poncho(birdguidealfonso@hotmail.com) instead.
Ted Needham

Reviewed 28 December 2013

My husband and I visited Huatulco 2 years ago and did 3 day trips with Mario Cobos and had such a wonderful experience we knew we wanted to visit the area again. This trip we brought our kids and again booked a couple of days with Mario and he did not disappoint. We did a bay tour which ended at San Agustin for lunch. We did some snorkeling, fishing and nature watching. We were fortunate enough to see Humpback whales, dolphins, turtles and manta rays. Our second day we went up the coast to a nature reserve, a turtle sanctuary and ended up at San Agustinillo where we had a wonderful lunch and were able to try some surfing. Our kids had a wonderful time and are already asking when we are going back. I would highly recommend Mario if you are heading to the area, when we return to the area we will certainly be giving him a call.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

I found Mario on the web and after discussing things he suggested the Bay Tour. The prices were very reasonable and we would rather support the proven independent operator than the charter company. We explored many Bays and beaches as well as catching some fish for an awesome lunch at San Agustin. Incredible scenery and ocean. To help pay for his kids education, Mario opens his house to the public for homemade food on Sundays. His wife makes Cochinita Pibil ( slow cooked pork tacos) , quesadillas with homemade tortillas cooked over an open flame and sometimes they have a special dish. The house is only a short walk from the main square and his son Eddy can meet you and bring you to the house. The prices are cheap, the beer is cold and there are people from all over the world dropping in for authentic food. Space and food can be limited so it's best to make a reservation. He told me he did massages and my back was wrecked so I signed up for 1 hour for 50 bucks. It was the best money I have ever spent on myself. His intuition and knowledge of the body left me with the most unique but satisfying massage/alignment. I wanted to bring him home!
This family does everything they can to survive here, so give yourself a memorable experience and take a tour , come for lunch on Sunday or experience a real massage. It will be the highlight of your trip. I guarantee it!