All reviews golden zone two blocks off street parking ceiling fan security guard sports bar jumbo shrimp ground floor place to stay joes oyster bar visiting mazatlan hot water motel pool kilo locals bartender
Reviewed 2 April 2018

The check-in was top-notch, good English and professional. We had 2 rooms, very comfortable and clean.

I think I should give this a 5 but with no food, and such, it is a 4. The bar by the pool did close before its stated hours, but there are other options nearby.

A wonderful no frills place to stay, with good safe parking.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 March 2018

We requested ground floor pool side room and upon arrival we got exactly what we wanted. This hotel has not elevator so ground floor is perfect, there are no views or balconies from the higher floors anyway. We had a double bed room and both beds were nice and firm. The air con worked well and was quiet, also a ceiling fan. The shower worked well and always hot water any time of day. No room safe, but they have a lobby safe, which we never used. If your a budget traveler you can get super deals booking an airfare and room package online.
You want to save money even further, we brought a steamer, water boiler, magic bullet blender and a rice cooker. Lots of plug ins in the room to plug your gadgets in. The steamer was the most prized appliance. There is a Soriana large super market a 15 minute walk from the hotel. They sell fresh vegetables and lots of tasty tropical fruit. We took the bus down to the centro market and bought fresh fish fillets. Then we go to the shrimp ladies and buy jumbo shrimp for 200 pesos a kilo, very fresh and tasty (815 pesos a kilo) on the menu at The Shrimp Factory restaurant half a block from Azteca. This is where the steamer comes in for your fish, shrimp and vegetables, works like a charm no small in the room. You could be eating like a king and super healthy right in your room. Plus if you get pool side room there are plenty of table and chairs just outside of your room. We stayed for two weeks and I think we saved $800 dollars for not dining out. There are plenty of fine dining restaurants in the area and high prices to match. Panama bakery two blocks away has very good fresh pastry and coffee daily.
So explore the area and go down to Mazatlán Centro on the green buses for 11 pesos one way all other buses are 9 pesos for a one way ride. Centro has some nice plazas to sit in and look at the trees and birds. Don't miss the cathedral is a must. Walk from the cathedral to the melicon and back, all the buildings are restored and they are putting in cobble stone streets. Walk 2 blocks north of the the cathedral is the market, lots of souvenirs, fresh produce and meat and fish venders . Five blocks north of the market is the shrimp ladies
The pool is not heated so it was pretty cool for me and my wife, so we never went in. So now the sea which is a five minute walk, easy public access. The beach is brown sand and loose broken shells and okay for bare foot walking. The sea was like the pool very cold, so again no swimming, ( my wife brought 5 swim suits which none got used,). There was also red flags for danger big waves and yellow flags for stingrays. There is a nice restaurant we only ate in on our arrival day, called Ponchos, good drinks and seafood. At the other end of the beach is Joes Oyster bar, which is for after noon patrying and sunset watching. Lots of brass bands on the beach to entertaine people for tips. Tewnty minute walk or a five minute bus ride from the Azteca is a no frills resaurant but very popular among expats is Fat Fish. For 240 pesos ( $17 Canadian ) that's $8.50 each, you get the best rib dinner for two people (yes two people). Best rib dinner anywhere icluding Canada or US.
Would I stay at Azteca Inn again when I am going to Mazatlan would be a definitely YES. You can make a cheap holiday even cheaper doing it our way. You will save a lot of money and won't break your bank account.
Remember tip your waiter and especially tip your daily room maid. She works hard and does a great job, A nice twenty peso note will do. You can order pesos at your bank back in Canada or US and try and get lots of twenties for tip money.
If I was of help to you a nice little helpful vote at the bottom would be nice.
Adois and learn a few Spanish words helps.

Stayed: February 2018
5  Thank Holidayman66
Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

If your looking for a decently priced hotel to stay in while visiting Mazatlan this is a good place. The rooms are clean and comfortable, come with a TV and a shower. We had a room next to the pool, and it was incredibly noisy. The pool bar was very close and the bartender was very polite and friendly and made great drinks. There is no meals included, and the attached restaurant is so-so. The big advantage is the location. It is in a great location in the golden zone, only minutes to the public beach and many great restaurants and shops. The door to our room stuck and was tricky to open, and I think people not staying at the hotel frequent the bar and pool as well, as some shady folks would hang out there. I also saw an older gentlemen try and get into our room with two different room keys he had before a security guard actually came up and questioned what he was doing, but it could be he had a few drinks and had just got the wrong door. All in all, it’s a good budget hotel.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 January 2018

I visited Mazatlán while on a cruise ship for the day and was referred to the Azteca Inn Sports Bar by a neighboring business. The bar had only one employee working and what appeared to be a group of 20 plus older male snow birds who felt they owned the place. In fact, my group and I got up and left after several minutes of having to wait for this group, who many came in AFTER US, to get their drinks that we ended up leaving and going to another place. Unless you're part of the "good old boy" network, I would suggest getting drinks elsewhere.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LADodger99
Reviewed 8 March 2017

The hotel we usually use in Mazatlan was not available, so I made a reservation here. Easy to find, one block from beach, good shopping and selection of good restaurants within walking distance, off street parking with a security guard, clean rooms a nice small pool and a great bar in the courtyard, friendly staff. Not pet friendly, but the dog kennel two blocks away was closed. Desk clerk called the manager and they allowed our golden receiver to stay in the room with us and air conditioning.

Room Tip: Ask for the first floor, all rooms are accessed from the courtyard parking, and for least noisy room, get one in the middle
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family