“Perfect for a special occasion!!!”
Review of El Presidio

El Presidio
Ranked #2 of 430 Restaurants in Mazatlan
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 11 December 2015

We have gone here often for drinks at the bar, and love it and it outdoor courtyard and charm...it is a very comfortable place and we recently had the pleasure of eating a meal there. All we could say for a week after was WOW, what a fantastic meal!!!!! The service was beyond excellent, everything was perfect. We will be sure to take any guests we have, there....

Reviewed 6 December 2015

During our two week stay in Mazatlan we visited many restaurants and the El Presidio is by far the best. The atmosphere in an open air courtyard with lights dangling from tree branches overhead was a great setting for a romantic evening. The service was high end as well the quality of the food. Both my wife and I had the sea bass on a bed of grilled onions and it was superb. The total cost of our meal was very reasonable. My wife and I each had a cocktail, an appetizer, the main course, a good bottle of wine all for 1000 pesos. Value for money is excellent. We have eaten at many other restaurants in the area and have paid close to that amount without the same level of atmosphere, service and food quality that we received at El Presidio. I highly recommend this restaurant if you are looking for an food experience you will remember from your vacation.

Reviewed 30 November 2015 via mobile

The B&B where we are staying in Mazatlan serves a very nice Thanksgiving dinner. We ate there last year. This year we decided to experiment and made reservations for the family of seven at El Presidio, a block from the Zocolo. As we found out El Presidio was a mansion built at the end of the 19 century and first occupied in 1902. Enduring various stages of glory, it has most recently undergone a magnificent restoration by grandsons as a very chic restaurant. There are four members of the family including the architect and the chef who have undertaken this latest rehabilitation. The ambience includes lovely mature trees. The main area includes a very attractive bar and sitting area as well as various dining venues. The menu is unique and everything was prepared to perfection and served hot in small portable warming ovens. Two of us had what might be called a chicken mole, but it wasn't. I don't recall the actual name but it was delicious. The other dinners were equally praised. We all shared a finely shaved Spanish ham appetizer which everyone loved. Most of the adults ordered wine and everyone was well satisfied with their choice.
I have written many reviews and as yet I have never rated a restaurant or a meal the best ever, this one comes very close.

Reviewed 29 November 2015

There are many fine restaurants in Mazatlán to choose from and this one ranks right at the top. Dine inside in an AC room, dine on the patio under that stars surrounded by a garden like setting. Both are the right choice.
The food is delicious, well prepared and very interesting from grasshopper oysters and duck burritos as starters to a 900 gram rib eye (not sure who could eat it but it is a choice). All of our entres were well prepared and served with flair. The wine list is extensive and fairly priced
You need to eat here.

Reviewed 24 November 2015

I am so happy that I went to this place, in the center of the old town of Mazatlan. Happy because this was by far… BY FAR the best meal I have ever had in Mexico. This is what I have to say about this place.

POSITIVE POINTS:
Arriving at this place, from the outside, doesn’t really give you the feeling of being in the right place. But… that all changes, the second you walk through the door. WOW… what a fantastic set up.

This is a very old building, nicely revamped… simply adding to the atmosphere in this place. You have a choice to eat inside… aircon place, or outside… just a perfect setting to have a great meal. The evening meals are particularly nice, with all those subtle lights around, giving you a feel of a 5 star place, in an historic place.

Servers are amazing. Simply exceptional, being completely knowledgeable about every dish, and willing to help you get exactly what you are looking for. Well… then came the food… and WOW, yes… that is the word – ABSOLUTELY WOW.

Various little starters to get the taste buds up and running, and then off to the main meal – catch of the day (a beautiful white fish), laid on a bed of risotto, both cooked to perfection, with a taste that was simply out of this world. What a pleasure to enjoy as every single fork of food purely drew a simple expression of joy… HUMMMMM!!!!!

Still squeezed in the little remaining space, this perfect desert, recommended by the professional and friendly waiter. Cannot remember its name, but again… WOW, what a joy this was to fill me up to the brim. To end the meal, I squeezed in an expresso, and was pleased and totally satisfied in every sense of the word.

It might not be a cheap place to eat, but like I say many times, I don’t mind paying good money for good food… and this was a fantastic meal in every way possible, at a reasonable price (European Standards).

NEGATIVE POINTS:
Sorry… cannot find a single one to add to this section – I thankfully report.

SUMMING UP:
I was there with a customer, and it was perfect. Looking around, I would say that this could be a perfectly romantic place for a meal with one you care for most… just the setting of this “old” place, with the perfect taste of what is important in a restaurant… you just cannot ask for better in Mazatlan.

Recommended? Yes, 100%