Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
FindHotel
Agoda.comUS$169
Destinia.comUS$144
Hotels.com
4,074 results
All reviews tiki taco sun club seaside grill da mario italian restaurant world cafe coco cafe entertainment team the holiday inn puerto vallarta resort kids club swim up bar ocean view beach area fire show mexican night dress code
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This resort has some weird and ridiculous rules that will make some people crazy. If you know ahead of time you can have a great time.

First the good:
No bracelets and no towel cards! No reservations needed for restaurants but Da Mario is only for 8 yrs and older and dress codes apply there.

We had the "basic standard room with partial ocean view" (cheapest) and had a really great view! Good balcony.

Great small water park for kids only. Water was shallow enough for our 4 year old but slides and activities were cool enough to entertain our 9 year old. Only open 12-4 in April 2021 due to Covid I guess.

Kids club is professional and fun. They give you a cell phone in case they need you during the time your kids are there. Our kids went once and both liked it. They did walks, crafts, movies, snacks. The schedule changes every day. It was open from 11:30am to 6:30pm during our stay.

Nightime entertainment was good. We enjoyed a Fire Show and an Urban Dance show. They have a kid competition 30 minutes before the show. Cute and fun.

Covid test is included for 3+ night stays. Super professional, quick and easy. Sooo convenient!! We made our appt with the concierge the day we arrived for 3 days before our flight home and had written results 15 minutes after our appt. Set your day and time, meet the concierge at scheduled time and be escorted to a private room to fill out paperwork, bring your passports. Then taken into adjoining room where antigen nasal swab test was administered quickly. Our 4 year old didn't cry or squirm. Wait outside the testing area for 15 minutes for results and you are good to go.

Room was good. Shower fine with good pressure. No shelving for toiletries. Body wash, bar soap, conditioning shampoo, blow dryer provided. A/C weak. Fine for April but not sure how it would be in the heat of summer. Nice balcony. Mini fridge with bottled water, sodas and Coronitas.

Food was ok. It is a little boring and the buffets are of course set up for self service. Now with covid they have staff there to serve you. They didn't have enough people to serve the food most meals. So it was a little frustrating for especially the employees and the guests but overall ok. The flow just wasn't there. There is no where to line up, people just show up from all directions and no one can tell who was there first. Guests were NOT patient and sometimes not polite. One morning this poor woman was having to run back and forth to serve like 5 different stations. How she didn't yell at someone I don't know.

We loved the location of the main buffet, very pretty open air seating overlooking the bay. Food ok. They have some nice salsas at each meal that you can ask for to make meals more exciting.

Tiki Taco is another buffet. Indoor, a/c and flows a little better. Food tasted better but less options and no view.

There is a little coffee shop that serves coffee drinks, tea and premade sandwiches. Sammies are small and very basic but great for kids in between meals. We also took some in our bag for the plane ride home.

There is a snack bar in the pool area, too. I think they had hot dogs, nachos, potato chips and burgers. We didn't make it to the ala carte restaurant. Not sure what the other food options are.

The staff we dealt with were all very nice. Even the front desk! Of course the entertainment staff, bartenders and servers were awesome and fun. They are front line with guests so very used to dealing with people. Kids club and concierge were great. But even housekeeping, life guards (one of our kiddos got scraped up at the beach and the lifeguard cleaned her right up), landscaping crew, all were very nice.

Swim up bar is open!

Inexpensive 10 minute cab ride from the airport. We crossed the pedestrian bridge and paid $130 pesos to the resort. It was $125 from resort back to airport.

Here is the not so good/weird:

No free wifi in the room, I mean absolutely NONE and not so great in the lobby either. We knew this going in and it was for the best maybe. No kids glued to their tablets. My phone worked fine, but hubby needed to send a couple of emails and stuff and couldn't unless he was in the lobby. It was inconvenient. Oh well. Order a drink from the lobby bar and deal with it.

No pool towels in your room. They will catch you at the lobby elevator and make you leave your towels there. I heard you weren't allowed to take drinks upstairs either but we did. Not sure if it was actually allowed or if we just didn't get caught. Haha.

Tons of paperwork at check in. Plus, a timeshare person offers you some "information" right after check in. Say no. Unless you are interested, just say no.

Room service is NOT included in the regular all inclusive.

Buffets not set up well, see above. Food bland.

There are not enough lounge chairs around the pool or on the beach. The chair game is in full effect here. If you don't have a seat reserved by 9am your will not have a place to sit. We were there over semana santa/spring break so a VERY busy time in Vallarta. Supposedly the resort was at reduced capacity due to the pandemic. But if we were at reduced capacity I CANNOT imagine what it would look like at full capacity.

You can upgrade to a family room for a tiny bit more than a standard room. I guess this gives you a kid themed extra bedroom with bunks. I am SO glad we didn't get the family room. I heard they are all first floor surrounding the kid pool, so you trade the extra room for any kind of view. Plus, on the ground floor everyone can walk by and see in your sliding glass door unless you close the curtains all day. I preferred our gorgeous ocean view.

Overall the resort was good. We got a killer deal and did our research. The cost was within $100 of a budget hotel so we went for the convenience of all inclusive, beach front and covid tests onsite.

Date of stay: April 2021
2  Thank littleh
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta, Atención al huésped/Recepción at Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hello littleh,

Thank you very much, for booking with us at Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa and also for taking the time to share with us your great happiness and appreciation with the resort itself. We want to thank you for taking the time to leave your comments following your recent stay with us.

Thank you for your feedback, as we want to work on our opportunities and be able to provide you with a much better experience next time you visit us.

We look forward to having the pleasure of having you back home in the near future and continue allowing us to cater to your vacation wishes.

Econcierge & Social Media Manager

Puerto Vallarta, México.

Reviewed 3 April 2021 via mobile

I dont usually write reviews but after my horrible experience here I felt I had to. Check in took sooo long. Rooms got hot throughout the day. Food is horrible. Same ol same food everyday! Not to mention the servers dont look like they want to be working. We ended up eating sandwiches from the cafe or left to eat some where else. During my stay there were several other families dissatisfied. I met someone who even checked out the the same day and went to another hotel. I should have done the same.

1  Thank DaisyEsp
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta, Atención al huésped/Recepción at Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear DaisyEsp,

We appreciate your time sharing your feedback and experiences following your recent visit here with us.

It is with great sadness that we learn of an overall disappointing experience, for which we cannot but offer our sincerest apologies. There seems to have been a number of deficiencies encountered which are very atypical and not reflective of our brand experience; if this stay was marred by irregular circumstances, we can only renew our apologies and assure you that we have in the meantime briefed the team at great length of your comments.

While we understand the way you felt about the situation experienced during your stay, we do hope that our reply to your feedback restores some semblance of trust on us.

With this said, we look forward to having the opportunity of hosting you back on a renewed opportunity to redeem your confidence in our resort and service.

Kind regards,

eConcierge & Social Media Manager

Reviewed 1 April 2021 via mobile

During my stay at Sunscape Resort in Puerto Vallarta I had the pleasure of meeting and being taken care of by such a great staff. Everyone was very outgoing to take care of my wife and I. I’d especially like to point out the service provided by Antelmo. Every day as soon I I saw Antelmo he began the day greeting us. He had a welcoming smile at all times and really made us feel welcome. His service at the Sea side Grill was top notch. We never had an empty glass and our dirty plates were cleared very quickly. He took the time to tell me about the area and places to go off the resort. I’d like to think in the week I was there I made a friend.
Also the Manager Rosendo, he was so welcoming every evening. He assisted Antelmo during the beach side romantic dinner my and I had. His recommendation of Mexican Coffee was delicious!

If you vacation at this resort I highly suggest having conversations with the staff. My experience was phenomenal because of they made it that way.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta, Atención al huésped/Recepción at Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2021

Dear G3346MFkenw,

First of all, we would like to express our appreciation to you for choosing Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa for your holidays and for taking the time to share your wonderful comments with us.

We will be delighted to share your kind words with our team as they are truly committed to making our guests feel at home through their hospitality.

We would all be delighted to welcome you back in the not too distant future. Until then, we wish you all the best.

Econcierge & Social Media Manager

Puerto Vallarta, México.

Reviewed 1 April 2021

Check-in wasn't too bad. It was pretty fast. Altho one of the staff members tried her best to get us to do some type of presentation. Even going as far as telling me i had to sign something to let her boss know that she did tell us about it. I decline signing anything that did not have anything to do with my stay there. This was a couple's trip, no kids.

Let's start with the supposedly 24-hour access to food and beverage options including kid-friendly menu options: We checked in the hotel around 12 noon. We figured since this was an AI hotel, there should be food everywhere. There wasn't. The restaurants were closed. The only thing opened was the sunset grill serving hot dogs, hamburgers, nachos. We're in PV, we want Mexican food, not something we can get back home at the corner gas station. Upon check in, we were never given any info on the restaurants, or times they would be open. after finding out that the restaurants wouldn't open till later that evening, we gave in and ate nachos and hot dogs. First disappointment. Oh and when we did get to eat at a the taco restaurant, it wasn't all that. Needless to say, we were not happy with the food selection here at all.

We like to stay pretty active while on vacation, so we generally pick a hotel that have a gym. The next morning, we decided to get up early and work out. We went to the gym and were surprised our key didn't work. However, someone did let us in that was inside using the gym. The next morning, we went again. Again, we couldn't access the gym. We went to front desk to inquire why. They tell us we need a rsvp to work out. This was never mentioned at check-in. Needless to say, there were no more rsvp for that day, so we made one for the next day. During our entire stay, we were only able to use the gym facility 2x because the rsvp times were booked. Had we known this at check in, we would have scheduled our rsvp everyday at that time. 2nd disappointment.

Covid testing: even tho testing is complimentary here, the hotel protocol for testing is horrible. They don't go over this with you at check-in either. We had to cancel an outing because we were told that they only test 24 hours before departure, and testing starts at 3 pm. We literally wasted a whole day sitting at the hotel so we wouldn't miss getting our test. This needs to be explained upfront at checkin. 3rd disappointment.

4th disappointment: I left a denim jacket in our hotel room and didn't realize it until i was at the airport. When I called the hotel to let them know i left it, they transferred me 4x, and then eventually to the bell's boy, who couldn't help me. I was fuming. I called the next day, and again, the same runaround. Then a lady told me to email concierge, who I have yet to get a response from.

This resort is very family oriented. It's definitely not for couples, or singles. The only reason I am giving it 2 stars is because when I expressed that the room i was originally given was right by the kids room, and not to my liking, Karla at the front desk did upgrade us to a decent suite away from all the noise. The room was a nice size. With a decent view and balcony. Thank you Karla. The hotel really need a face lift as well. It's outdated. I am a travel agent. I book quite a few family trips. I doubt I'd be sending any of my clients here on a family trip, as I'm very sure I wont ever visit this hotel again.

Room tip: Don't stay near the kids club if you want some peace and quiet
Date of stay: March 2021
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta, Atención al huésped/Recepción at Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2021

Dear gia82274,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your last experience at our resort. Although, it is with regret that we read the comments about some issues you, unfortunately, experienced during your recent stay with us, and we hope you would accept our sincerest apologies.

We would have loved to have known all this while here to have done something for you and your stay was completely satisfactory. That is a priority for us to follow up on the areas of opportunity.

Kindest regards,

eConcierge & Social Media Manager

Reviewed 29 March 2021

My family began their stay at this hotel yesterday, March 27, 2021. The guard at the entrance was extremely rude to my family because the persons dropping them off had a lap dog in the car. Note that neither the dog nor the family member dropping them off was not planning to get out of the car. However, the guard wouldn't let my family, the ones without the dog, in and suggested that they walk with their suitcases all the way to the reception. The guard also suggested that if they didn't like the rules, they could go elsewhere. I called the hotel from the USA and the receptionist was aware of the issue yet, they were not helpful. In order for my family member to be driven to the entrance of the hotel, the other family member had to stay with the little dog outside the property. While waiting there, outside, the guard kept harassing her asking her to leave. Remember she was outside the property so she was not trespassing. Adding insult to injury, there was a guest at the hotel walking a dog around and getting ready to go into the elevator. Supposedly, the NO DOGS policy is only applicable to some people and not others. I told my family to let it go but after I saw the picture of this lady with a dog at the hotel, I was fuming. Then the attitude of the security guard left a bad taste to everyone including the family members for which I paid good money for them to stay there.

1  Thank waarce