Villa del Sol Resort(Zihuatanejo)(Great Value!)
US$271
Official Website
Aura del Mar Hotel(Zihuatanejo)(Great Value!)
US$133
US$68
  • Pool
Savings alert! 27% below average rates

The price you found is 27% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$93/night.

La Casa Que Canta(Zihuatanejo)
US$446
Embarc Zihuatanejo(Zihuatanejo)(Great Value!)
US$110
US$100
Savings alert! 22% below average rates

The price you found is 22% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$129/night.

Tentaciones Hotel(Zihuatanejo)
US$190
Pacifica Resort Ixtapa(Ixtapa)(Great Value!)
US$263
US$120
US$288
clubmed.us
  • Breakfast included
Casa Cuitlateca(Zihuatanejo)
US$969
All reviewssunset baron la ropa beachair conditioningprivate section of the beachceiling fanlounge chairsinfinity poolthe hotel's restaurantfiltered waterrestaurants within walking distancemexican holidayquaint hotelview of the baygreat beachworked greatzihuatanejo baymini fridge
Reviewed 9 August 2017

This hotel's saving grace is the stunning location directly on La Ropa beach and the excellent staff. Breakfast was good. Other than that, the hotel public areas and in particular the rooms need refurbishment, although clean there is an overall grubby feel due to outdated facilities and shoddy workmanship. Towels although clearly laundered, were greyish white, frayed and in some cases had holes in them, I do not think this is acceptable at any establishment. The pool area was of particular disappointment, this area was small, unclean and every sunbed was broken. Fortunately, the hotel's private section of the beach and sunbeds are lovely, head there! Also worth a mention is the amount of steps, approx. 200 from reception down to beach. Most accommodation is about half way down. Very disappointed that reception refused us a late check out, later I asked housekeeping how busy they were and was told 12 rooms leaving, 3 checking in that day.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank AuntieAlli
Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for a week on Playa La Ropa at the Catalina Beach Resort.

We have stayed in another hotel in the area several times over the past 20 years.
The decision was made to try something new. We enjoy the views from a resort as well as the beach.

Catalina Beach Resort was chosen for its unique architecture, location and beach
Initially we were somewhat disappointed with the property's condition. It was built in 1952 and has seen better days. BUT.......once we checked in and looked around, we really enjoyed the quirkiness!

The staff was very pleasant and helpful.
The Sunset Bar offered an amazing sunset and unrivaled views. It's over 250 steps from the top to the beach however, many of the rooms are located part way. Our particular room was about 1/2 way. We were a few steps away from the Sunset Bar and a flight below the restaurant.
This worked great! The walk to the beach was a little bit of a workout but by the 3rd day we were accustomed.

The beach is private and the service was great. We were able to leave our phones, cameras etc by our lounges and hop in the ocean without being worried at all.

Most all of the other guests were repeat with some staying several times a year for 20 and even 30 years!

All had very fond memories of previous owner and current

If you want tranquility and something a little out of the ordinary, this is it.

Great experience and will do it again!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Greg F
Reviewed 10 April 2017

We luckily only had to stay one night because the room was very run down. The bathroom had a cracked sink, the towels that were supposed to be white were grey and dingy. The room had cracks on the walls and there were red fire ants in the room. I was so afraid to sleep on the bed I literally just kept my clothes on and slept on top of the bedspread. No airconditioning in our room, we just had a fan that sounded like a helicopter which made a ton of noise. The outside was decent looking and the beach was nice. This is just an old place that needs alot of TLC. Would not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Not sure what the other rooms look like but this one was the one closer to the pool and it was called a Casita
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Susan H
Reviewed 31 March 2017

The Catalina was the first hotel on La Ropa beach, and has been family run for quite some time. We first traveled there 16 years ago, and they have made some great upgrades to some of the rooms, especially the rooms directly under the lobby.

The food is as good as you will find on La Ropa, nothing fancy, but just solid fresh fish and traditional Mexican meals--don't miss the Pastor Ahi tacos!

The infinity pool is nice, and the palapas on the beach are wonderful!

We went on a Mexican holiday and the beach was packed! It seems like all of Mexico City likes to come to La Ropa beach for the spring holiday.

The rest of the week was more quiet, we spent most of the time at the pool and beach--but fair warning, it is 249 steps from the lobby to the beach--and these are un-even, not-to-code rock steps. The good news is that you will ge a work out (so you won't feel guilty eating all those chips and guac!

Take in at least one sunset at the "Sunset Bar"--the best views of the bay and town around.

4 stars because this is not a luxury hotel--nice, clean, friendly staff, but definitely not the Ritz Carlton. The bed was a little hard, but the layout of the guest room was so great, it really made up for it.

Bottom line, if I'm going to Mexico for vacation, and I want an authentic taste of old Mexico, this is the place I will come again and again.

If you're looking for night life and discos, try Ixtapa. If you want to have a great relaxing time, catch up on your reading and naps, the Catalina is the place for you!

Room Tip: I really like the rooms just under the lobby--if come with a group, the lower rooms share a balcony.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Tim T
Reviewed 16 March 2017

Reservations were made for me. The staff is amazing and helpful. The check-in process was fast and efficient. The bell man, drove me to my room. The room is spacious with a mini fridge, Couch and 2 queen size beds.

Walking out you will find a hammock, 2 chairs and lounge chairs. Everything needed to relax without leaving your room. Past that there is a balcony (where all rooms from that level can hang out. If your friends rent the rooms at that level, you could have an amazing party overlooking the infinity pool, town and view of the bay and the beach.

To get to the bar, lobby, beach or restaurant; you must walk up all these stairs. You need to actually be in shape in order to do this. I hike, and my legs felt this workout. Before leaving your room, make sure you have everything you need, unless you need a leg or cardio workout.

The bar at the pool is amazing, as it is quiet and the food is good. I don't care for red-sauce Ceviche, but it wasn't bad. The margaritas great and so is the service.

I gave it 4 stars, only because I had mini ants in my bathroom. It is common ants when it is Hot outside and they are actually looking for water.

If you need a place to relax with beautiful bay views and service at a moderate price, this is your place.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business