“Great stay!”
Review of Las Urracas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Zihuatanejo
Las Urracas
Ranked #55 of 77 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Recently stayed 8 nights. Loved it! Did not see a single bug in the room. Location was perfect for early breakfast and dinner walks. Staff at hotel very helpful. Only reason I did not give it 5 stars was no a/c. I would have liked it for a few of the days, for others did not even need. Location and rate make this a hidden gem!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank RickSolvang_CA
There are newer reviews for Las Urracas

Reviewed 15 July 2013

Oh my, where to begin? I read the raving reviews of this place and it was a no-brainer to reserve here. But after only one day, demanding our money back the next morning and not getting it because we had no leverage after paying cash, the only reason I am giving the place a 2 instead of a 1 is because of the beach. Note that sleeping on the beach on a towel would receive a higher rating.

On this journey was my old college room mate, his first post post-retirement sojourn and me on my yearly get-away to Mexico. We were on a moderate budget, not the low end and had rented the largest "bungalow" with 2 beds, kitchen and a separate living area. As we first walked in the Las Urracas, the place appeared old but quaint. That really wasn't a problem, nor was the fact that the heavily landscaped grounds were cut back for a person under 5' 6" and difficult for this tall guy to navigate .... but all part of the picture and quaintness we thought - yes, the jungle-y look was a nice touch and helped hide just how old this place was and did give it character as something lost in the 50's.

Then inside it was plain to tell by looks and smell that the room had not been used in months but still no bother. The missing and mismatched tiles, the single bulbs hanging on the long cords, all part of the fun and the traditional Mexico experience I have had over the years. I even remarked to my friend, "we can pretend we are in an episode of the TV show "Lost" and that we found this long abandoned place where we can rest after having spent the last year sleeping on the beach".

OK, we had adjusted our minds to living in the mucho Mexicana, the old, the failing and the past but then the sun went down on our fabulous first day at the very beautiful beach that lied in waiting just steps outside of the back gate. As group leader I had the honor of showering first. How quaint the oblong rock that was in place of the shower drain, I thought. Great also, as I preheated the shower, finding there was plenty of hot water. But then "the music started" as roaches the size of silver dollars started parading out of the drain. I started stomping them with my bare feet but my stomach soon turned and I had to grab a sundry can lid to finish the job. After 15 dead, I had created enough ruckus and noise that my friend jerked open the door while yelling what was I doing when part of their army entered his bedroom. A few made it into my bedroom and the kitchen as well.

Dirty from spending all evening on the beach, a shower wasn't an option. So my friend finally ingeniously stopped the parade by taking a frying pan from the kitchen to plug the shower drain hole, where we were able to slowly inch it up whenever the shower water neared overflowing.

Our yelling and stomping must have alerted the staff too, as we later learned the manager's home was next door. Near the "frying pan end" of our roach invasion, outside our open windows we heard spray cans going off in unison just after we had shouted to each other, maybe we had the name wrong and instead landed at the "Las Cuc-Urracas".

Then as I tried to read myself to sleep, to top my evening off the light switch started smoking and it exploded and parts flew onto to my bed. The shout from the next bedroom came appropriately "what in the HELL are you doing in there!".

Too late this night and with no Internet, finding another hotel was impossible, and with the army stopped with a frying pan brigade, we awoke the next morning to demand our refund but instead received a shaming as unappreciative and demanding guests.

Note: Some kind soul needs to come fix the p-traps, add drain caps, replace plumbing fixtures, re-tile and reface the entire operation, replace the rusted shut windows, broken shutters, replace the furniture that looks like it fell off a truck at high speed and repair the torn curtains. Might even add AC units to the back where we were located because a full speed ceiling fan in that breeze blocking heavy vegetation can't touch the heat and humidity.

Room Tip: Find another hotel. At half the price, it might we worth fighting the roach population. .
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Don_A_TX
Reviewed 27 July 2012

As noted in other reviews, this hotel is a precious gem. Simple but very well constructed and maintained beachfront casitas. Private but steps from the water. Extremely low-key tropical atmosphere. Very quiet section of Playa La Ropa, Zihuatanejo- short walk to low key (and some high end) restaurants. A perfect quiet getaway.
The one proviso- if you want to reserve in high season- reserve early (more than nine months in advance!) - as there are so many regulars, you will otherwise not be able to get a room.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank Perry B
Reviewed 24 November 2009

MANY YEARS AGO we discovered Las Urracas by chance: walking on Playa del Ropa one evening. We stayed there only once buy oh my wasn't it wonderful. We too stayed in # three with the little kitchen and the balcony, just steps from the beach. Seniora Hernandez and her family counldn't have been nicer. Regretfully we never got back. Phone numbers never matched including one in Acupulco. And now we have reached an age of zero travel. Thanks for the trip back for a moment.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Rhodes33
Reviewed 26 August 2009

It's a secret place: perhaps you'll find it mentioned somewhere in the forums on the web or in some book, but in the end you'll never end up staying there. There is no email or website, and you can only contact the owners by phone, which is not easy. But we made the impossible: just went there in low-season November, used a lot of body-language to get a beach-front bungalow from a very astonished women we found there and had the best 7 days of holidays ever. Afterwards, Moorea or Bora Bora did not even come close. I may be biased but once you've been there, you'll return, earler or later. Just quietness, empty beach on your doorstep and absolute relaxation: my sort of paradise.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple