“A PERFECT setting for our wedding!”
Review of La Quinta Troppo

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Zihuatanejo
La Quinta Troppo
Ranked #37 of 78 Hotels in Zihuatanejo
Reviewed 9 August 2010

In July of 2009, my wife and I had the amazing experience of getting married in Zihuatanejo, Mexico at the lovely La Quinta Troppo. (We had been to La Quinta Troppo back in 2006 and were left with such a deep impression of the place that we decided that this little Bed and Breakfast was the perfect setting to capture this special occasion.) Consequently, it ended up being an amazing vacation that brought both of our families and our friends closer together.

We did not hire a wedding coordinator, but we put our trust in the hotel manager, Erica. We were able to plan and coordinate our entire wedding via email.

On our BIG day, our hostess wowed everyone with many wedding details, including her selection of flowers, a wedding arch for the beach ceremony and a serenading mariachi band. La Quinta Troppo catered the reception dinner, and an open bar was made available to us with a bartender that served well into the wee hours of the morning. Cocktails and appetizers were served by the cobalt blue pool, while dinner was served on a terrace over looking the moonlit bay. After the reception dinner, we surprised our family and friends with some entertainment. At Erica’s suggestion, we hired a touring dance group that specialized in traditional regional dances from all over Mexico. They wore elaborately sewn and brilliantly colored traditional attire and performed several dances that revolved around the theme of the evening, “tying the knot and LOVE.”

Lastly, we requested Erica to arrange a wedding cake for after the dance performance. For $50 USD, we received a tres leches cake that served enough for 35+ people—adorned with matching fresh cut flowers. This simple yet mouth watering, elegant cake was the most amazing cake my wife and I ever tasted, which we still crave to this day.

We would like to thank Erica and the entire staff at La Quinta Troppo for there generous hospitality and for making our wedding one that we will not only remember and cherish forever, but one that our family and friends will look back fondly.

Thank you so much for the wonderful memories.

Cheers!

A Happy Seattle Couple

Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ZihuaFans

Reviewed 12 June 2010

Troppo was an unknown destination when my best friend and I decided to visit Zihuatenejo over ten years ago. We have since returned eight or nine times. The ambience created by Rene and David's exquisite sense of beauty, comfort and perfection is exceptional.
It welcomes your first step past the fountain, under the palapa, and through the door, then thrills you as you absorb both the lush blue bay view and your first margarita.
The gracious of the remarkable staff continues throughout your visit; it's no wonder we feel like we've come home again with each visit. Eat, sleep, walk by the ocean, eat again, read. . .no end to the joys of Zih and Troppo!

• Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed 8 May 2010

The first time we went to LaQuinta Troppo, we felt like family. Every year is more special. My girlfriend and I leave spouses behind and trek to LaQuinta Troppo every winter. The beauty of Zihuatenejo, the beaches, the walk into town, the lunches and marguaritas, the flowers on the bed at night - all make this a trip we love. We think about going somewhere else, but we can't! We love Erica and David and all the people who work there. We feel pampered and cared for, but never smothered. We have stayed in all the rooms but one, and each one is special in it's own way. Try it! You'll love it!!!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank LynnBehar
Reviewed 5 March 2010

Our stay at Quinta Troppo was absolutely wonderful! From the Service to the atmosphere everything was perfect!!! My wife and I visited this place from 17 February until 01 March 2010. From the moment we arrived at the Hotel the staff immediately fulfilled all of our needs and wishes. I can especially mention Erica at the reception, she was very very much service mindet; but not to forget all other staff as well. The staff took the extra mile to fullfil all our needs and wishes. They specifically take matters into their own hands, allowing all guests to sit back and relax. The sunsets are unbelievable at Quinta Troppo. I would highly recommend this Hotel to anyone considering a destination for relaxing at Zihuantanejo.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2010

I had a great experience staying at La Quinta Troppo and would highly recommend the resort to any single or couple on vacation. The staff was always very friendly and accommodating. I arranged the travel with David via e-mail before getting there. I'd recommend e-mail over trying to reach them by phone. He arranged transportation from the airport (included in cost of hotel). When you arrive at the airport, you'll find someone holding a sign that says "Going Troppo?" They knew my name and were ready for me. The trip through customs is quick since it's a small airport. Ixtapa/Zihua is very small and not crazy busy like the Cancun or Puerto Vallarta airport. It's nice, if you're looking for a relaxing trip.

One thing I think I should explain is that it's a small resort. I think it's only like 8 rooms with a staff of about 6 employees (housekeeping, front desk, kitchen, etc.). So, you may find yourself waiting for service on occasion. For example, when I arrived it was a Sunday and Ericka (front desk) was not working. So, I waited a few minutes for someone to answer the door. Once the gentleman arrived, though - he ran to get me some pretty incredible chips & guac and a margarita. So, that made up for the 3 minute wait! :) I'm from a big city and I'm always so rushed, that I had to remember that sometimes things move at a different pace. It was actually a good reminder and helped me to relax on my vacation.

I stayed in La India room and it was wonderful! There's a hammock on the balcony and air conditioning in the room. I recommend air conditioning to anyone that needs a controlled environment to sleep well. Also, I spoke to a very sweet couple from Texas that told me that the AC is a really big help in the summer time, when it gets especially hot. When I was there, it was upper 80's everyday and only rained on the day I left.

Continental breakfast (fruit, bread, coffee) was included in cost, but you could also order eggs for about $90 pesos (about $7.50). I recommend the huevos rancheros. It was a very good sized serving with a couple sides. They also have great guac and shrimp tacos. There's a pretty well stocked honor bar next to the pool. You just write down everything you drink. It was all very reasonably priced when I got my bill.

The only downside to this hotel is the location. It's a little bit of a hike to get to town (about 20-30 minutes), but there are spots to hang on the beach about 10 minutes away. When you're leaving the hotel, hang a left to go to town. When you get to a cobblestone street with taxis on one side, hang another left and keep walking. Then you'll cross a bridge on the right when you get to the ocean front and you're on one end of the boardwalk/town. There's some great little divey restaurants with cheap food ($1 Coronas, $4 shrimp tacos, etc.). It was all so delicious! When you go into town, you should exchange your money for pesos. Most restaurants will only give a $10-to-1 pesos-dollars exchange rate, though the real rate is more like $12.75-to-1 if you go to the bank. Also, I'd recommend shopping with pesos because you can haggle and get better deals than if you use a credit card - especially in jewelry shops.

If you just want to go to the beach, you should hang a right when you get out of the hotel and then another right at the first street to get to La Ropa Bay. You can rent a palapa there or just hunker down on the beach. Palapas range from $5-25, depending on the resort. You can haggle and talk them down on the price, especially if you buy food and drinks from them. I'd recommend a palapa so that you can get out of the sun on occasion - it gets hot!

All in all, I'd highly recommend the resort, food and drinks. The only downside that I can see is the location, but that may be a positive if you're looking for a quiet place for a romantic getaway. Oh - and it's not handicapped accessible, if you're with someone with a disability. There are stairs throughout the hotel. However, at the price of $160 a night, I think it's a pretty great deal if you'd like a romantic getaway to a B&B type of resort.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo