“Select, getting old......” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #54 of 128 Hotels in Guadalajara
Buffalo
“Select, getting old......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2009

Stayed here last week for business. Overall it was a decent stay. They rooms need updating, beds are pretty hard, and bathroom fixtures are pretty old. The bar was pretty dead when I was there but would be good with some better service . Theres a creepy way too skinny bartender who is expressionless and they play the worst music/videos but there are some other bars in the area. Other staff are pretty cool and friendly.... Restaurant food and service was good but it was not busy at all. Breakfast was very good, I had fresh fruit every day and never got sick or anything. I had the misfortune of my company switching to Amex - so had to walk 6 blocks to the nearest ATM that accepted it for cash for cabs (scotia bank).. Staff were very helpful to me, checkout is old school they just hand you all of your receipts and a total . Did not have any errors in mine that I found yet. I'd try a different hotel next time....

Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Jeffrizo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
GDL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2009

I've stayed here 208 times over the past year. I would have thought that I would be an honored guest, but I was wrong. Usually they "upgrade" me to the executive floor, (which is not worth the cost difference from a regular room) because I am Priority Club Platinum. This was really optional for them even when the Hotel is empty. I have only once been upgraded to a Jr. Suite in all my time there and that was because they were remodeling the room I was supposed to have.

The rooms are pretty worn out, however they have been replacing the carpet in some and the faucets in the others.
The Restaurant has a poor ambience and the service is awful.
The Concierge is wonderful and helpful.
Over the past 2 months, the front desk has been a little more helpful, but used to be unfriendly, unhelpful, and sometimes mean, accusing (items missing from minibar that were taken by the staff, charged $2.20/call for calls/outside lines that did not connect, etc.)

The Executive Lounge on the executive floors usually has a continental breakfast, which I got sick on 3 occasions with. Note: do not eat anything not in a sealed container or freshly baked. Usually the evening refreshments are put out in the executive lounge, but the only put enough for about 10 people and it is first come first serve. Since there are 3 executive floors, you cannot really count on it being there. Also, the servers their are not helpful at all.

I have had issues from the bill being wrong on many occasions and my latest episode took 6 days to get an itemized bill.

Many times they will not answer the Phone for incoming calls at the switchboard, the walking/exercise machines are broken and worn out, the airconditioning usually does not cool to the thermostat, 10-15 times this past year the water has stopped for a minute or 2 while I was getting a shower. One thing to watchout for is the maids can opens your door as early as 8:15 in the morning to check if you need laundry or your room cleaned un-announced.

Unfortunately I have needed to stay here because of the location. I do like the Priority Club points too, but they typically on give 832 per night. You might wonder why I stay here so much, but I have learned to adjust. They still surprise me (in a bad kind of way) but I try not to notice.

If you get this for less $85/night it is an OK deal, but nothing to compare with the HI downtown Guadalajara or just about any other HI Express anywhere else. In my opinion of the Holiday Inns and Holiday Inn Expresses it is the lowest quality in terms of service, food, and amenities.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Hotel Management / Food Management
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank 2-frequent-traveler
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2008

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Select over the Palm Sunday weekend this past year (March 2008). We drove from Puerto Vallarta. I forgot to put in a review earlier this spring and when I saw the previous not-so-good review, I wanted to say that our experience (also recent) couldn't have been more different. Overall it was a good experience and we would stay there again if we decided not to stay in Tlaquepaque area.

When we arrived and saw the rooms I thought. Oh, oh. A bit dated. Also, one of those mini-bars that's locked unless you ask for a key--but, these things were minor. Overall, it was a good experience . Here's a summary.

1) Rooms: quite adequate: comfortable beds, good timely maid service, spacious and upper floors have a lovely view.

2) Location: Not really walking distance to much of interest to tourists, except a great restaurant right next door (see below) and a nice Catholic Church. However, it's a great location if you have a car. Easy access to downtown and the road to Tlaquepaque as well as to nice restaurants in that area of the city (which has many).

3) Parking. Excellent. At first I was annoyed that it was $4.00/day, but on the other hand In/out privileges were good and it was very secure. We enjoyed going in and out for dinner one night, to Tlaquepaque one day and to Teatro Degollado downtown.

4) Fitness Club and Pool. Nice,on rooftop. Nice place to work out. If we had had more time it would have been nice to sit up there on the lounge chairs around the pool and enjoyed the view.

5) Breakfast. Again, at first I was annoyed that it wasn't included which was what we had expected. On the other hand, the breakfast buffet was truly outstanding. You can choose either a full buffet or an expanded continental. We had the expanded continental for $10.00/person. Best I've EVER seen anywhere. Bar none. How many buffets offer brie cheese and smoked salmon, fresh berries, all kinds of yoghurts and buns, low-fat milk, granola, several kinds of fresh juices, etc., etc. We really didn't need lunch after this.

6) Great restaurant next door: La Trattoria. This has long been one of our very favourite restaurants in Guadalajara which was one reason we chose Holiday Inn Select. It's open unti midnight every day but Sunday when it closes at 9pm. A big bustlilng family place with great food, an extensive menu including an excellent salad bar, an antipasto bar, and great value. We had dinner there twice and just wandered a few steps back to our room.

7) WiFi/Internet. Like another reviewer, we were at first a bit annoyed at having to pay $3.50/hour for WiFi when so many places offer it for free (Hotel Morales for example). However, they do have a computer in the lobby which offers free service so we took advantage of that a couple of times and then simply logged in for 1 hour each day to check our e-mail. It should be noted that at Fiesta Americana in 2006, the cost was $11/hour with no maximum. (The Holiday Inn Select has longer term rates).

A few notes: This is not a tourist hotel so don't expect too many of the staff to speak English fluently. We loved being able to speak Spanish only (something that's hard to do in Puerto Vallarta). We have also stayed at the Fiesta Americana (same general area) and we thought the Holiday Inn Select was much better value. Our room in the Fiesta Americana was no more updated, everything was more expensive (Internet, parking, bottled water) and the restaurant food we sampled was just plain not very good. If you're thinking of Fiesta Americana, do consider this Hotel instead. La Trattoria alone makes it a great choice.

• Liked — Location, Food.
  • Disliked — Not much of significance
  • Stayed March 2008
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank careyeroslib
El Centro
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2008

The Hotel staff very courteous and helpful except in the following:
I book my stay online at Holiday Inn home site.
with taxes my charge was to be $270.24 (USD) for 3 nights.
Upon checkout they converted my $270.24 to pesos at an rate of 11 pesos to a dollar. The going rate at that day was 10.40. I express my concern that when my credit credit card converted it back to dollars , i will be charged more than my agreed upon amount. The over charged amount came to $20.26 (USD). I was told that the 11 pesos to a dollar was what in their system and there was nothing they could do. I filed a complaint with my credit card company and Holiday Inn customer service. Holiday Inn send me an e-mail saying their charge was correct.
Some of the statements on their web site are incorrect. There's no courtesy shuttle, they have a desk in the lobby for taxi service. The charges posted are incorrect. They tell you to go out to the curb taxi stand. you pay the driver. Upon arriving at your destination the driver charges you what he likes. Forget the meter and what the posted charge was, you will pay alot more.
The web site states $12 (USD) fro 24 hours of high speed internet service. INCORRECT..the charge is $18 (USD) fro 24 hours. They will exchange your dollars to pesos at a rate of .20 less than the going rate. There's a bank a few blocks away but of coursse on Sundays its closed. I tried all day Sunday to exchange $5 (USD) at the hotel desk, they never had enough pesos to make the exchange, If money is no object, this hotel has good service. If you are like myself and want value for your hard earn money, look at other hotels for your stay. I hope my misfortune has prevented someone from the same fate.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — high charges for internet service, location, taxi service, resturants in area and hotel, have to call room service for ice or go to the bar your self to obtain ice.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank sky8ca
Mexico City
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2006

The internet service is really high for this kind of hotel, they charge 15USD + 15% tax for a 24 hours token but it is not reliable and it disconnected me before the promissed time. The cut off time is inconvenient, if you get to the hotel by night and pay for the access it will last until noon the next day (exactly so every night you want to connect you will pay) but they do not even keep their promise. I left downloading a very important file during the night but it cut the connection at 2 AM!!!! When I called the frontdesk they did not even care!!!

I was on the back side of the hotel and the wireless connection was terrible, there was not a phone at the desk. The sheets were dirty and smelled terrible. I complained but they did not do anything. I just can't believe that.

The third thing is that they ripped me off using the phone, I was calling through my ATT calling card to a local 800 number but since they detect that you are doing long distance calls using that number they will charge you 2USD per call. These guys are really something! I did 8 calls each day and I got a 36USD bill plus the lausy internet 50 bucks for the worst service ever.

This place sucks, but the location is good. Aeromexico is right a block away, they have an Starbucks and a Sanborns (mexican denis) really near. Everything is close enough for doing business. The buffet is quite expensive and the quality is not the best, so you can get a decent meal at sanborns or some othe rplace at walkin distance for the half of the price. Taxis are unexpensive and very honest and courteus.

Bottom line... I'll never come back to this place!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The internet was expensive and their phone service too. The buffet expensive and low quality.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here, the Hilton or the Fiesta Americana are way better
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business