“Nice Hotel”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Centro Historico
Ranked #45 of 130 Hotels in Guadalajara
Reviewed 7 December 2009

Best loacation and very comfortable bed.But if you rent a car. I think there are no hotel parking lot.
Hovever, the taxi will take you every where with low cost.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 30 October 2009

We were pleasantly surprised at the lovely location, lobby and service here.
We saw no roaches (as another review indicated), the room was tastefully
decorated. large (jr. suite), with free water soda,beer,chips etc. in the fridge.
Internet access was a breeze, hooked up in room to the tv monitor.

They were washing and BUFFING the tiled street in front of the hotel in
the morning. Nice.

Noisy traffic outside our room facing the street, I closed the windows
and curtains and it was ok.

Hotel was located close to free concerts/museums in the nearby plaza.
We saw TWO philharmonic orchestras for free one night.

Only glitch, I needed to print my airline boarding pass, and used the
free executive offices downstairs. It took over a half an hour for someone
to get it to print. But, they were friendly and took care of it for me.

I would definitely come back. The locals were very nice to us too.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HappyWanderer021
Reviewed 10 September 2009

We arrived to stay for 3 nights with my family. We asked for a quiet, upper level room. However, we were given a first floor room facing the city street. It was very loud and the traffic noise made it extremely difficulty to sleep.

I went into the bathroom at about 1030pm, turned on the light, and found about 10 cockroaches crawling around the floor. My husband went downstairs after this to complain to the manager. The night manager offered us a free breakfast buffet. Um, no thanks.

Anyway, the next morning, the day manager was very friendly. He did not make us pay for our room. We chose to leave the hotel immediately and checked into another that morning. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank JulieHeump
Reviewed 12 May 2009

I usually stay in hostels, but I decided to stay in a nice hotel. I should have stayed in a hostel, the Morales, or San Franscisco Plaza instead. I paid for the room in full online, because it was the best deal I could find. When I checked in, I was given a room with 2 full beds, when I had paid for 2 queen beds. "Queen isn't that much bigger than full," said the bellboy. I also had chosen a room with a view of Juarez Avenue. I had a view of a wall. I had to insist for them to show me the room I had paid for, and no one helped me move all my luggage. They initially didn't want to give me the room, because there was going to be nighttime contruction on the avenue, but one of the bellboys told me it was only for one night. Why wasn't I told that at the front desk?

Two days in a row there was no hot water. Cold showers when I'm paying more than $100 per night? It just doesn't make any sense. The carpet had two big stains (wine I think). When I mentioned it, all they said was "Oh. Someone must have spilled something." There were also supposed to be fluffy bathrobes. I never saw any.

The food from the hotel's restaurant, Las Carretas, was pretty good. Nothing amazing, but filling and yummy enough. If you want delicious food, go to La Chata. It's just around the corner. And if you go to Lake Chapala, there's a huge burrito restaurant on the highway there, before the intersection to go to Ococtlan, and they're soooooo good.

So what did I like about the hotel? I liked the flat screen TV. It's also a computer. That was pretty cool. Air conditioning. Nice. Lots of huge mirrors, a big closet...I had to print my boarding passes for my flight at 1 in the morning, and the lady at the front desk opened the business center for me, and I could print what I needed for free. That saved me a trip to an internet cafe (not that any were open that early). The shuttle to the airport was free too.

About that free shuttle service....on the Holiday Inn website, when selecting the room you want, it allows you to select your room with shuttle service, but for a higher price. That was on the website. If it's a free service, why do they charge for it? Good thing I didn't choose that option.

I don't recommend this hotel. The service is efficient, but very impersonal. The staff in the lobby is nice enough, but they don't really go out their way at all. The restaurant staff was great though.

So, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Nadia1985
Reviewed 9 April 2009

I typically don't stay in Holiday Inns except in a small market when it's the best available. I chose the HI because the location is exactly where you want to be- historical center, and being my first night in a spanish speaking country, I wanted to slowly immerse myself into the language with an american hotel chain. I also wanted the points.

The check in was good enough- still had to do it in spanish. The streets were beat up due to construction, so driving to the hotel is difficult, but not too bad if you have perfect directions (I had none). It's for next year's Pan American games.

I paid $8 more than a regular room and got an amazing corner junior suite. You would be crazy to save the $8. The room (probably all rooms) had a FREE stocked mini-bar, and FREE internet (using their keyboard and the flat panel TV in the room). So, for $88, I got a beautiful, clean, corner suite, free soda, beer, candy, chips, water, and free internet, AND in the best part of town! Also the bedding, pillows, and bathroom, were very good.

That makes this the best Holiday Inn in the chain!

OK, a problem. The street below has tons of traffic noise and the windows don't do anything. The sound was nearly the same with the windows open or closed. HI said that they are upgrading to double pane windows. Luckily the street's closed on Sunday and became a cool pedestrian street (for miles). Many people were riding bikes. I went for a great run.

Thanks HI. I'll stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo