“Average experience with aspects of the overall experience... great food as always!”

Suntory Guadalajara
Reserve with OpenTable
Suntory Guadalajara is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #191 of 1,215 Restaurants in Guadalajara
Price range: US$21 - US$32
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed 13 June 2017

On my latest visit to Suntory I had an average experience. I rate places based on several factors like value, service, food, ambience... even how the valet parking works. To me a several factors define the overall experience. This is why I am taking the time to write this review.

This is probably the fifth time that I've been to Suntory Guadalajara this year. I observed several things. First of all I consider this to be an expensive restaurant. Not overpriced as the quality of food is great, but it is expensive. This is why I am writing this review.

Getting into the valet parking was terrible. A long line that got to be 8 cars long at some point, with only one person attending. He was doing his best, but the restaurant should have more people attending at peak hours. I had to tell a manager about it. Specially when the long line was blocking the street and prevented traffic from advancing, with a lot of cars honking and getting desperate.

The service was incredibly slow. It is the first time that this happens to me personally, but people who joined me did call out that Suehiro (the closest competitor) is far better when it comes to service. It might have been that there was a private kids party happening, which is another thing that I want to call out. This is not a place to host kids parties. Don't get me wrong, I do not have anything against such events, but there are places that should allow them and places that should not. Specially considering that this is a place with a lot of hazards (including irons) for kids to be around.

Given this event the bathrooms were not in good shape, the service was slow and we constantly had to be hunting for our waiters.

The food as always was amazing and one of the things that make Suntory stand out is that the person cooking at the iron is willing to provide a great experience. They share details on how things can be cooked and what they recommend. The food was great and the cook was extremely polite and knew what he was doing.

I write the constructive review with the hopes that Suntory Guadalajara will take note of it and improve the situation. Otherwise I will slowly or not so slowly make a switch and stay with Suehiro.

Suntory R, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Suntory Guadalajara, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2017

We thank you in advance for your time and regret your bad experience.

Your suggestions have already been sent to the General Manager who gives the corresponding follow-up.

We hope to have your presence again, to serve you as you deserve.

A cordial greeting.

Reviewed 25 January 2017

I can't say that anything we ate here last night was bad. The gyosas were fairly tasteless and the dough was far, far too heavy, but they were OK. The tempura vegetables were pretty good and served with a pretty good tempura sauce. The teppanyaki rib eye was OK, but pretty tasteless and didn't come with a sauce. The teppanyaki seafood was fine but had a tiny, tiny amount of seafood, which was tragically overcooked so that everything had shrunk to a microspopic size. And it didn't come with a sauce. I checked on the internet, and the mark up on the (retail) price of the wine we had was about 400%. The dessert was good, though. And the service was fine and the setting was pleasant. None of these things (apart from the mark up on the wine) would have been a real problem, though, if the prices had been a closer match to the quality of the food and service. I won't be going back here. There are lots of Japanese restaurants in Mexico nowadays doing more genuine food at more reasonable prices.

1  Thank Chris T
Reviewed 3 January 2017

I am Vietnamese who have lived in Japan for about 8 years.
I came to this restaurant in the end of the year with a Japanese friend.
We found that they have the best fresh fish (sashimi) in town and they also serve the original beers, Sakes of Japan. The waiters serve us very well.
The interior is also elegant. Company parties can be hold in here.
This is a highly recommended restaurant.
I will come back.

Reviewed 1 November 2016 via mobile

We had a lunch and order several dishes. Sushis, tempura ( the crust was light), chicken teriyaki (prepared in front of you), soup with tempura, edamame . All were very good.

Reviewed 26 November 2015 via mobile

We were a party of four and went there for dinner. I've been to many japanese places like this all over the world. This was first without any asian people but i really need to say it was really good! Quality of the food was great and also the cooking style of the chef was good. We had veggies, beef, chicken and seafood and it was all really tasty. If you want japanese food i can definitely recommend it.