Diego Rivera Museum and Home (Museo Casa Diego Rivera)
Ranked #11 of 76 things to do in Guanajuato
More attraction details
Owner description: The birthplace of Mexico's most famous painter has been preserved as a museum featuring some of his original works and a collection of artifacts from his house.
Reviewed 31 July 2017

The Museum has amazing guides that are well knowledgeable of Diego Rivera life. As you go through the Museum it is as if you are traveling through the a time line of Diego Rivera life and painting periods. Kid friendly and you are also exposed to uprising, upcoming, new artists.

1  Thank mcorno

Reviewed 19 July 2017

The museum is spread over several floors in an old building near the center of Guanajuato. The lowest level features the childhood home of Diego Rivera. It is an interesting look into the living conditions for fairly well-off people of that era in Mexico. My kids got a kick out of discovering the 'bathroom' of the time. The art collection is rather small, but provided an interesting look at the Cubist works of Diego Rivera. The highlight is the mural on the upper floor of "Dream of a Sunday Afternoon in Alameda Park" There is a key to the mural that identifies all of the people portrayed on the top-most level.

1  Thank Jacob D
Reviewed 11 July 2017

We went to Museo Casa Diego Rivera with an expectation of seeing Diego Rivera earliest artwork. When we arrived at the museum, was not as expected! The house of Diego Rivera is more a temporary exhibition due to he only spends six months of his life in this house. The family moved to DF when Diego Rivera had months of born.

1  Thank Leslie C
Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

I stumbled on this as I was leaving my AirBnB one day. For 25 pesos, I spent 45 minutes walking around the house of Diego Rivera. First floor is just room setups, second floor is his early work along with David A Siquieres work. Third floor is just a big mural and small theatre area.

Diego Riviera's work seems to be across the board, referring to style and texture. The biggest thing I learned is that the top 3 muralist in Mexico are Riviera, Siquieres, and Orozco. We saw Orozco's amazing works in Guadalajara, and we live on David A Siquieres Road in Monterrey Mexico, which I didn't know was a prominent muralist before this visit.

Reviewed 23 June 2017

I enjoyed the old furniture in each room from the living room, the different bedrooms, the library, the old bathroom the childrens room, and so on. Pictures are only NOT allowed in the rooms that have his paintings. I asked the museum employee why, and he replied that Diego Rivera still had one child that was still alive and she still has rights to them! I came to Guanajuato to learn the culture of this region that makes it unique..there were some works from other painters here. I liked the large puppets of Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo that were in the patio of this old house

1  Thank Marta E