“Highly authentic. Exceeded expectations.”
Review of Restaurante Chon

Restaurante Chon
Ranked #1,604 of 5,355 Restaurants in Mexico City
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Centro Histórico
Reviewed 29 October 2017

Having read a number of reviews after selecting this restaurant from a guide book, I was expecting the restaurant to be over priced. This was not the case. This is a highly authentic restaurant that attracts many locals - some of whom were very happy to share their traditional culinary delights, such as crickets, with us. Our meal was accompanied by a traditional Mariachi for a truly authentic experience (a bonus we were not expecting). The beer was cheap and the food plentiful. The one downside was that the restaurant did not have the dish I ordered and substituted this for another, which did not hit the mark for me. This is an authentic restaurant in authentic surroundings. If this is what you expect, Chon's will hit the mark. Do next expect four star food in four star surroundings. There are many less authentic restaurants that can deliver this!

Reviewed 23 May 2016 via mobile

Not at all what I expected! I had been in this place many years ago and love this kind of food. Would not recomend it and will not come back! Worst escamoles, worst gusanos, no one in the restaurant at 3:00 pm and bad service!

Reviewed 17 May 2016 via mobile

I just came out of the restaurant like 30mins ago. I was so excited to go there with my boyfriend to show him the prehispanic food from my country (I am mexican) and we walked to an area that is not nice at all... but that didn't bother me since I was so excited about the restaurant. We arrived to the place and were welcomed by a lady which didn't seem to happy to see us (even though the restaurant was completely empty) we sat down and started looking at the menu, prices are too high for the kind of area and restaurant but I thought "well, it's a special kind of food" but... no...
We ordered 2 quesadillas, which were nice and the price was ok $20 each, then I saw the Escamoles which is a larvae cooked with butter and it was including guacamole $270 (very expensive)... when the plate arrived it was like the amount of food you could hold with your hand... or more like a baby's hand and the guacamole was like avocado water. Then we ordered barbacoa which was $120, again, the amount was ridiculous and from a barbacoa eater I can tell you it's the worst I've ever had.... It is a shame because the service at least could have been nice but the waitresses looked like they were miserable about working there and honestly didn't care to even give each person at the table a plate...

1  Thank Claire R
Reviewed 2 August 2014

When we heard about a restaurant serving pre-Hispanic food, we were pretty excited. The fact that it sounded like it was a bit down-to-earth / no-frills made us even happier - we weren't looking for some sanitised-for-tourists place. However, the waiter was very unwelcoming and seemed to completely lack enthusiasm for his job. When we asked (in Spanish) for a recommendation he kind of sighed and muttered we could try the jabali (wild boar) because a bunch of other things were off the menu. When he set the table, the cutlery and plates both had remnants of previous meals stuck to them - pretty unpleasant. The food was OK, but to be honest, we didn't enjoy the experience were happy to leave at the earliest opportunity.

1  Thank Tom L
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We were told about this restaurant by friends whose opinions about it were mostly very positive. The menu's selection looked very tasty and we decided to give it a try. Just to be clear, we liked the place and were not too disappointed with the food but it does require some improvements. For instance, classical foods such as mole poblano and sopa azteca did not impress my fellow commensals (this is not a case of not liking foreign cuisine, they are both "chilangos") and the service was a bit sloppy despite being polite. Chon appears to be well-known to tourists, so it would really benefit if the chef could boost his kitchen skills to really deliver a genuine taste of pre-Columbian delicatessen, something that can appease both the tourist and the native!

3  Thank MisSpectre