“Nice rooms but uncomfortably hot”

Holiday Inn Mexico Coyoacan
Ranked #145 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed 14 March 2017

This is a fairly nice hotel that looks like it's recently undergone a remodel. New furniture, fixtures and modern flair. The big downside is the cooling of these rooms. The rooms are hot, low to mid seventies hot. I Arrived late to the hotel, checked in and the room was in the mid seventies. I Turned on the AC and went to bed hoping it would cool down. Although the AC was set much cooler than 70 it never got cool. It was a horrible first night. Spoke to the front desk about it in the morning and they said they would have it looked at. Came back late the following evening and the room was the same. Spoke with the front desk again and they said somone already looked at it. The room was still in the 70's. They asked that I wait to give it a chance to cool down. 25 minutes, a repair technician and numerous calls and I was finally moved to a room that was even hotter with an even weaker ac. It was on and barely any air was moving. Again numerous phone calls, a repair technician and we were told to move once again; this time to another floor as the staff knew the floor we were on had ac issues. Third and final room was quite the same but at this point it was close to midnight and I knew that nothing would be fixed. The room had a window that could open a few inches so I did that and let the cooler air from outside do it's best to keep me comfortable. The rooom only cooled down slightly all night because the window was open. The staff at this hotel tried to make things right but really the ac system needs an overhaul. The hotel was in close proximity to things I wanted to do but will never stay here again. If you can't sleep in warm temperatures steer clear of this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Mexico Coyoacan, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2017

Dear Islndguy,

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Mexico Coyoacan, MX, for your lodging needs in the area and taking the time to post a review and rating your stay.

I would like to apologize if your stay was less than satisfactory and that your expectations were not met as a result of issues with the in room facilities.. Despite this, we appreciate your five star rating for cleanliness and commending the effort of our staff to make the experience better for you. We value your comments, suggestions and ratings have been forwarded to the management and ownership of the property for review and necessary action.
Here at the Holiday Inn Mexico Coyoacan, MX, it is always our goal to ensure that our guests enjoy the best hotel experience when they walk through our doors, and with your feedback, we definitely can achieve that.We hope that you can come visit us again in the future and continue to consider IHG properties for your lodging needs wherever your travels may bring you.

Wazay P.
IHG Service

Reviewed 8 February 2017

I paid this stay with IHG points and I left feeling I wasted those points. The hotel itself to start with the positives is in good condition. Good state of maintenance, the room and bed was good, really dark and quiet and a modern renovated feel to it.

It only had one English TV channel (its the biggest city in the world guys, get better cable). The internet was spotty, I had a big sign outside my room talking wonders about the Wifi featuring Bob the Builder but I only got 2 bars of signal and a 2-3 mbps connection.

Breakfast was subpar, the bartender tended to disappear. One thing that really annoyed me is that even though no one requested a credit card from me they treated me like I wasnt going to pay. We joked with a friend that they kidnapped my laundry for a $3 laundry fee and I had to go to recpetion at 10 PM to retrieve it.

The area did not feel safe. The hotel is the nicest looking thing in miles. Several run down buildings, informal salespeople, boarded up shops around.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Mexico Coyoacan, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2017

Hi Gabriel G,

Thank you for your stay and for posting a review. It is great to know that you were able to appreciate our facilities and room accommodation. However, I was concerned to see that you were not impressed with our breakfast, internet connectivity, and TV channel listings. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience these issues may have caused you during your stay. Rest assured, your comments will be shared with our management team to properly address your concerns.

Again, thank you for the review and I hope that we would have another chance to accommodate you again in the future.

Regards,

Christian
IHGService

Reviewed 6 February 2017 via mobile

Holiday Inn Coyoacan was a luxury. The staff, especially Alejandro, were so welcoming and helpful.
Great wifi connection throughout the building.
The location is ideal for easy arrival of Uber drivers.
The breakfast buffet, though ridiculously priced (higher than US prices), offered the vegetables and fruits we'd been craving for days. If fruits and veggies aren't your thing, there are a lot of better local breakfast options.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2017

This is a very nice hotel where we have stayed for Christmas for the past 2 years. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. The location and layout of the hotel are convenient. This hotel has excellent staff in their banquet department, and they deliver a night of great food and great service combined with wonderful live music band (music en vivo), same band as last year and it was again a success!!
There was a "glow theme" party on New Years that we missed but we will surely be back next time to enjoy these awesome parties at the Holiday Inn Coyoacan!!

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 October 2016

There are far better places to stay in this area at far better prices. I thought i 'd try this Holiday Inn once just to get a sense of it. Be forewarned: I asked for a room in a quiet area far from the very busy and noisy highway, and as a Gold Elite member they should have easily honored that request. Instead, they gave me a room near the incredibly noisy highway. The rooms are not very nice. Very old, very depressing. And the pillows are the WORST I've experienced anywhere in a long time. Front desk staff is mediocre and slow (and when they failed to acknowledge my Gold status, I asked for the 500 additional points that they promised to give -- they have these huge buttons with this promise emblazoned on their uniforms -- and they refused. Unbelievable. The woman made some bizarre Kafkaesque argument that I first had to advise them of my status so they could then make note of it to me. The breakfast area is the one nice part, with a nice buffet and friendly and professional waitstaff.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Mexico Coyoacan, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2016

Dear ChristopherOnTheMove,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you liked our breakfast and I apologize if our rooms fell below your expectations. I appreciate the feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Krysllin G.