All reviewsair conditioningbooked onlinegreat locationrooms are smalltownzocalo
Reviewed 21 April 2018

Driving through this town is a nightmare, so we were very relieved to stay here, a few steps from the old zocalo, and leave the car in their secure carpark. Check your room first, some do not have windows. Everything was clean, staff good.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2017

The hotel was in an excellent location close to the zocalo and valet parking was much appreciated. Rooms are small but very clean and two of our three rooms had no window. Air conditioning was good and worked well, as did the free WiFi.Reasonable price all things considered. Staff were friendly and helpful. We booked online and were able to take advantage of Promotion pricing so I suggest that you check out that option.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 June 2017 via mobile

The Best Western is a comfortable inn near the center of town. I viewed it as comparable to a nice small inn in London where there are about four rooms per floor, each has its own floor plan, the rooms are extremely clean and you are near the center of town.

If you arrive by car, use google street view first to familiarize yourself with where this hotel is located. All signs in Taxco are in black with the whitewash background so don't expect to find a traditional Best Western illuminated sign. It is a few business fronts off a plaza on what appears to be a one way street but is two way.

Pull your car near the entrance and hug the storefronts to allow cars to pass. A bellman will appear to help with baggage. If a car is already there, the bellman will have you follow him down a tiny street to pull in a garage at the back base of the hotel. You will then climb about three floors to get back to the lobby. The bellman will carry your bags to your room and your car will then be taken to a lot elsewhere in the city about 20 mins away. The valet parking is free but naturally tip the bellman/valet. Valet parking is 9am to 9pm.

Some rooms have balconies, most rooms face the back. I recommend getting the higher floors on the back--3 and 4--to reduce the street noise. The third floor is the lobby level as it is the entrance from the front.

All rooms are extremely clean. All rooms have A/C, a rarity for Taxco. All rooms have an in room safe but you must ask for its unique key as they don't keep the batteries current to use the four digit keypad. Breakfast is not included; I recommend the Santa Fe 150m away. All rooms have ample plugs for computers and phones. WiFi is free but slow.

Here's the bottom line. If you want a world class resort, Monte Taxco Inn is great but is 2 miles away from the city center. The Best Western is the best option in town if you want guaranteed a/c, good plugs, very clean, and a safe 24 hr front desk. Although 'Best Western' in name, this is a local establishment without a cookie cutter approach so you are staying in a local inn.

The staff is very friendly and efficient. The manager speaks English and can arrange local day tours through the city's official tour guides.

I recommend this hotel.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Ryan B
Reviewed 4 January 2017

This hotel is very convenient to downtown Taxco, as are many other local hotels. Warning though - you don't want to drive through downtown Taxco. It's a royal pain despite what Google maps tells you. All streets are basically pedestrian streets and no one pays attention to parking laws. Stay on 95 for as long as you can.

I'm not a fan of this hotel. The staff was nice enough and the hotel was clean. No complaints there. What I didn't like was that one of our rooms had no window. It had a pseudo-window that went into a nasty, dark shaft with disgusting air and several ACs heating it up. The room was not the type we reserved either... not sure if that type would've been better. I think a large number of rooms in the hotel are like this. And our AC stopped working on the second night so we were basically trapped in a very hot and humid concrete box. At the least this place needs to be clear about the lack of a window and price those rooms differently (they don't, so it's a gamble).

Other things I didn't like - the chain lock on the door was missing the mating piece and there's very little security at the hotel (no one ever checked my key when I walked through the lobby). Plus instead of giving us disposable hotel card keys they gave us permanent keys with the room number written on them. So if I ever dropped that key without realizing it we're basically asking for someone to rob us.

To be fair, I think a lot of the hotels in downtown Taxco are like this. But this particular one is easily double the price of a comparable local hotel which would've had more charm and better food (the restaurant here was ok, but over priced and nothing special). And many local options were even closer to the town square. Next time I'm in Taxco I'm going with the local option.

Room Tip: Make sure the room has a window to the outside, not to the AC shaft
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2016

This is a nice and small hotel in downtown Taxco; rooms are clean,comfortable and have air conditioning. Note that not all the hotels have air conditioning, make sure you confirm this. The location is perfect to walking around and visiting all the attractions that this small town can offer, one day is enough to stay and this hotel is a very good option.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business