“OK but wouldn't return”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 14 June 2011

For some reason the night we went they had the restaurant interior closed; the only table available were outside in the front. The food was okay but nothing special; ditto for the service and the drinks.

Reviewed 12 June 2011

My wife and I had an excellent experience, here. The food was great and the service was outstanding. Our waiter, Gusto, was very accommodating and, not only provided samples of the different mole sauces, but also arranged my meal to have the meat in two of the mole sauces, since I couldn't decide. The fact that they had several different mole sauces, to begin with, was above the grade.
I should add that my wife had been having difficulty with the meals at some of the other restaurants in the area (though I see them rated higher on the tripadvisor list). Her meal at Calenda Oaxaca was the first, in a couple of days, that she really enjoyed.
It may have helped that we went here at a slower time of the day/afternoon. With that said, there was a patron who was returning from the night before. She was, also, recommending the restaurant.

Reviewed 24 March 2011

We went to try Calenda Oaxaca because the night before, after we had already ate at another place, we walked by and talked to the hosts in front. The gentelman with the shaved head was very friendly and thought we would go back the next night and try it out. We had had a late lunch so only wanted some soup and the 2-for-1 margarita. When ordering the margarita we only want to share 1 set, but we each fot 2. We got our soup after about 40 minutes (it tasted fine, nothing special). We then got another margarita. The margaritas were the smallest we were serverd in Cancun. Our bowl of soup was $9.00a piece for a cup and our 4 margaritas came to $48.00. WHAT A RIP OFF......it was the biggest scam of the trip. At least when we went to Senior Frogs and paid $14.00 for a big margarita, we knew what we were getting. To make matters worst, the guy with the shaved head started asking how old we were and if we were married. We look younger then we are and when he found out we were in ours 30's and married, he was trying to get us to go on a time share presentation. Offering us crap to go. And asked "to help a guy out, so he can make a living."

Reviewed 20 February 2011

We ended up going to this restaurant after walking around this area of the hotel zone, and I wish I would have read some of the recent reviews before wandering into this establishment.

By this point in our trip we'd already eaten downtown at several small restaurants several times and expected our experience to be fairly similar, but it turns out to be our worst dining experience in Cancun.

We were seated promptly and the restaurant wasn't that busy, there may have been maybe 4-6 other tables seated. I inquired about the 2 for 1 drink special, one that both of the other downtown restaurants we'd gone to also had, and we went ahead and ordered our drinks and food.

Once the drinks showed up we knew things probably wouldn't be right. I'm not sure how the misunderstanding happened, but for some reason each of us got two drinks instead of just one. We weren't really expecting that and just decided not to say anything since we might have ordered another round later on, in hindsight I wish we would have sent them back.

Finally the food arrives. It did seem to take quite a bit longer than one would have expected for a restaurant that wasn’t that busy. I wasn't that hungry, so I had just ordered their nachos. They weren't bad, but they weren't that great either. The cheese sauce they had on the nachos reminded me of something you might get at a baseball game or some state fair vendor and not something that would be served in a restaurant. I've only had nachos once before in Mexico in Puerto Vallarta and don't remember the cheese being like this, so I assume it was just a subpar dish and not just the true Mexican way of making nachos.

My partner, who was quite hungry, had ordered enchiladas. What showed up was nothing like enchiladas. I could only describe it as a piece of meat, supposedly pork that had been road kill and found after experiencing a hot sunny day on a country road. It was dry and tough and disgusting. Now we could have brought this up to the waiter, but he was nowhere to be found for the rest of the meal.

When the busser came to clear the table he asked how things were, but clearly didn’t understand or care about our experience with that dish. When we finally got the waiter to bring us the check we were shocked to find that each of our buy one get one free drinks were priced at 120 pesos , substantially higher than we expected , and had experienced elsewhere in town. Basically it would seem the single drink price was just doubled for this “special.”

This turned out to be one of the most expensive meals during the trip and absolutely the worst of our trip on both the food and service front. I would definitely not recommend going here, and I imagine more than likely this is a place you just end up going to because you’ve walked by and are hungry and not because it’s a restaurant you’ve sought out as a place to go.

2  Thank HereOnTheHill
Reviewed 4 February 2011

Always have heard that the best food and chefs in Mexico come from Oaxaca. They must have deserted Cancun for the States. Restaurant was completely empty when we arrived around 730 pm. Service was very accomodating since no one else was there. We got taste all the various mole sauces first so we could make a choice. Once selected though, the food was overcooked and bland so you needed a lot of mole sauce to make it have some taste. Mediocre at best.

1  Thank Sweetwater