“Beaware of the tall bald guy and ... drinks!”
Review of Calenda Oaxaca

Calenda Oaxaca
Ranked #682 of 1,144 Restaurants in Cancun
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 13 October 2011

We made the mistake of stopping by here too on our recent trip to Cancun on 9/25/11. The bar/restaurant is right near the beginning of the strip in the Hotel zone. Like most of the other Mexican people, the tall bald guy, who introduced himself as Jose (and we found out later that his REAL name is Librado) lured us into their empty restaurant by offering us free appetizers with our 2/1 drink special. Well, we ended up leaving somewhat disappointed.

Instead of bringing our 2/1 drinks one at a time, they brought all 4 of them (two of us there) at the same time. By the time we got to #2, it was already watered down from the ice. And, they forgot to mention the drinks were $12.00 each (double what other bars were charging). Shame on us for not asking first!

Here comes the frightening part....during the consumption of our alcohol, Jose/Librado talked us into giving him a $50.00 cash deposit for a time share presentation. We were to receive 2 free tickets for the Pirate's dinner cruise and also get our $50.00 back for visiting a time share.

The next day, we wasted 1/2 waiting on him to pick us up at our hotel as promised. Of course he never showed up! I called his cell phone and he apologized stating that he got too drunk the night before.

Long story-short, after numerous attempts to collect our money, we ended up getting all of it back except for $10.00.

If you want to go to a Fabulous bar/restaurant, go a few doors down to the Mextreme! We ate their 4 times and every time it was wonderful. The food, service and entertainment are wonderful! If you go there, tell the manager, Amelio that his Ohio friends, Greg and Marty said Hello!

Save your money and spend it there INSTEAD of at the Calenda Oaxaca!

1  Thank MartyOhio1959

Reviewed 8 August 2011

We stopped here for a family dinner on our first day in Cancun. First of all, this restaurant didn't have air conditioning. We were going to keep walking but the host (tall bald guy) insisted he had turned it on and would cool down, it never did. We were the only people in the restaurant, that should have been a sign. We ordered our food and it came out in shifts (there was 15 of us). 5 people would get their food, then 10 minutes later someone else, etc. The food wasn't great at all, but I was very hungry, so I ate. My parents ordered a very expensive salad that was very small. They forgot to bring out my daughter's dinner. There are some creepy looking manaquins on their stage as well. After dinner, we paid the bill, which was very pricey and were followed out because the tip was too small. Oh, and during our family dinner, the host kept trying to give us deals on tours! Keep walking, McDonald's isn't that far!

3  Thank egp1974
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Have been to Cancun many times over the past 20 years and this was the first time I ever noticed this restaurant so decided to give it a try. Loved everything . Great atmosphere, excellent service and fantastic food. My sis and I went twice. Looking forward to eating there again during my trip next month. But note that, at least at the time of my visit there, they didn't take credit cards.

Reviewed 20 June 2011

Coming from California I have experienced plenty of good Mexican food. This place was the worst place we ate in Cancun and one of the worst restaurant decisions I have made. The food is bad and the prices are ridiculous.

First clue was the giant ad selling 5 coronas for $10 US. The bucket on the wall is clearly 12 ounce coronas and the wording is for "Coronas". What showed up were 5 small coronitas. Our wives had $8 glasses of wine that tasted like it came out of a box.

The food was no better. An order of quesadillas were no better than two small tortillas with cheese for $8. The burrito was hardly worth eating and the mole was far from good.

If you haven't figured it out yet, don't eat here.

1  Thank jamesb847
Reviewed 14 June 2011

For some reason the night we went they had the restaurant interior closed; the only table available were outside in the front. The food was okay but nothing special; ditto for the service and the drinks.