“Bad service and high prices... stay away.”
Review of Calenda Oaxaca

Calenda Oaxaca
Ranked #665 of 1,111 Restaurants in Cancun
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 20 February 2011

We ended up going to this restaurant after walking around this area of the hotel zone, and I wish I would have read some of the recent reviews before wandering into this establishment.

By this point in our trip we'd already eaten downtown at several small restaurants several times and expected our experience to be fairly similar, but it turns out to be our worst dining experience in Cancun.

We were seated promptly and the restaurant wasn't that busy, there may have been maybe 4-6 other tables seated. I inquired about the 2 for 1 drink special, one that both of the other downtown restaurants we'd gone to also had, and we went ahead and ordered our drinks and food.

Once the drinks showed up we knew things probably wouldn't be right. I'm not sure how the misunderstanding happened, but for some reason each of us got two drinks instead of just one. We weren't really expecting that and just decided not to say anything since we might have ordered another round later on, in hindsight I wish we would have sent them back.

Finally the food arrives. It did seem to take quite a bit longer than one would have expected for a restaurant that wasn’t that busy. I wasn't that hungry, so I had just ordered their nachos. They weren't bad, but they weren't that great either. The cheese sauce they had on the nachos reminded me of something you might get at a baseball game or some state fair vendor and not something that would be served in a restaurant. I've only had nachos once before in Mexico in Puerto Vallarta and don't remember the cheese being like this, so I assume it was just a subpar dish and not just the true Mexican way of making nachos.

My partner, who was quite hungry, had ordered enchiladas. What showed up was nothing like enchiladas. I could only describe it as a piece of meat, supposedly pork that had been road kill and found after experiencing a hot sunny day on a country road. It was dry and tough and disgusting. Now we could have brought this up to the waiter, but he was nowhere to be found for the rest of the meal.

When the busser came to clear the table he asked how things were, but clearly didn’t understand or care about our experience with that dish. When we finally got the waiter to bring us the check we were shocked to find that each of our buy one get one free drinks were priced at 120 pesos , substantially higher than we expected , and had experienced elsewhere in town. Basically it would seem the single drink price was just doubled for this “special.”

This turned out to be one of the most expensive meals during the trip and absolutely the worst of our trip on both the food and service front. I would definitely not recommend going here, and I imagine more than likely this is a place you just end up going to because you’ve walked by and are hungry and not because it’s a restaurant you’ve sought out as a place to go.

2  Thank HereOnTheHill

Reviewed 4 February 2011

Always have heard that the best food and chefs in Mexico come from Oaxaca. They must have deserted Cancun for the States. Restaurant was completely empty when we arrived around 730 pm. Service was very accomodating since no one else was there. We got taste all the various mole sauces first so we could make a choice. Once selected though, the food was overcooked and bland so you needed a lot of mole sauce to make it have some taste. Mediocre at best.

1  Thank Sweetwater
Reviewed 27 January 2011

Please do not even enter the restaurant! Terrible food! No no, it's a trap for turists! Use your money in other restaurants, please!

1  Thank bobidsa
Reviewed 17 August 2010

If you want to have a sample of one of Mexico's greatest regional cuisine, you should go to this place. Their menu is actually quite representative of the Oaxacan cuisine and its executed fairly well. If you have never had Oaxacan food before, this could be a good place to start.

For starters, I'd recommend ordering the quesillo (Mexican-style string cheese) and the grasshoppers for the more adventurous. Follow it with some mole negro enchiladas with chicken or a delicious grilled octopus. Both quite tasty! You can down your food with a couple of micheladas with Leon beer.

Reviewed 11 August 2010

Maybe we picked a bad night to try this restaurant. Based on our experience, I would not recommend it. My wife and I were pretty excited as we've both spent time in Oaxaca and this restaurant looked charming. However, the food was very poor. I ordered a chicken dish with red mole sauce -- it came as a single piece of chicken on a large plate covered with mole -- no side dishes. The meal was cold and the meat was dry. This was typical of the rest of the entres the rest of the family ordered as well. Did I mention we waited over an hour for our food even though there was only a few tables seated? it ended up being fairly pricey Mexico-wise too (e.g., around US$10 for a glass of Sangria). Alas, a tarnished memory for our last night in Cancun.