Sun Palace
US$332
US$249
  • Breakfast included
Hotel NYX Cancun(Cancun)(Great Value!)
US$196
Marriott Hotels
US$109
US$79
Agoda.com
The Royal Caribbean(Cancun)(Great Value!)
US$150
US$131
Agoda.com
US$269
US$252
Priceline
6,560 results
All reviewsthe concierge leveloriental loungesteakel alamopablo winklerla trattoitalian restaurantlobby baralamo restaurantroom serviceconcierge dinnerour honeymoonchef's dinnerresort creditactivity poolfire showdinner on the beach
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We just came back from Sun Palace in Cancun. What a great experience ! This was not our first time, we keep coming back. Very friendly staff excellent service. Especially helpful the front desk manager Jaime Ortega.The location is perfect with breath taking views. You can do a lot of activities or if you prefer just to relax this the perfect place. We highly recommended.

6  Thank Irene987
Reviewed 24 February 2012

My boyfriend and I just got back last night from an amazing vacation at the Sun Palace! It was our first time in Cancun and we absolutely loved it. I read tons of reviews of the resort on Trip Advisor before we left so that I could feel prepared for what to expect. The majority of the reviews on here are spot on. My opinion on the resort is as follows:

Rooms: We had an amazing ocean view room that overlooked the activity pool as well. It was wonderful to wake up to that view every morning. We asked if we could upgrade our room and we were originally assigned to room 833, but after asking for the upgrade were moved to room 828. I'm a bit confused as to whether that was actually an upgrade or not as it was only a few doors down. We wanted to upgrade to concierge and asked the front desk for 2 days, but none were available. However, we noticed another couple that checked in at the same time as us that had the lower level rooms and they were upgraded a day later. I guess it's luck of the draw? Although it would have been nice to be able to enjoy all of the amenities offered at the concierge level, we were perfectly happy with our room on the 8th floor! Definitely try to use your points to upgrade if you can!

Beach/Pool: The beach was absolutely beautiful! You have to get out there pretty early (730am) if you want to get chairs with an umbrella. I think that this is technically frowned upon; however, when everyone else is doing it, you feel you have no choice if you want a good seat with an umbrella! The servers on the beach are very friendly and come around often to get your drink orders. The pools are really nice as well, but we never had luck getting seats up there.

Drinks: Very good! if you want top shelf liquor, make sure to ask for it.

Food: The food was delicious and there was a lot of variety to choose from. We liked the Asian restaurant the best and ate there twice. We had Hugo as our server both times and he is an absolute gem as is Carmen at the hostess stand. The Italian restaurant was great as well, make sure you ask for a Mayan coffee to go with your dessert! The Steak was our least favorite. I ordered grouper and it had no flavor at all and the selection at the buffet was lacking in my opinion. The Mexican restaurant in the evening was delicious and the service was great as well. The breakfast and lunch buffets were great everyday with a great selection. Here is my only complaint in regards to the food: one day I ordered some food from the grill station and the employee that made my food sneezed into her hand and then continued to handle the food (with no gloves on) without washing her hands. The very next day I ordered chicken tacos at the grill and the same employee handled raw meat and then proceeded to touch my tortillas for the tacos directly after handling the raw meat. I was very off-put by both incidents.

Room Service: Wonderful! We ordered breakfast 2 mornings and additional room service two other times. They are very quick and efficient with your orders.

Entertainment: A bit lacking, but we really enjoyed both the Caribbean and Retro shows. The dancers were fantastic! The entertainment staff does a good job of trying to get people involved and were very friendly.

Spa: Wonderful! We used our resort credits for a couples massage and it was very relaxing.

Front Desk/Booking Appointments: For some reason, any time you had to make an appointment (tours, spa, pictures) it seemed you had to wait for a long time while the person behind the desk tapped away at the computer. You would think they would have a pretty organized computer system within the resort, but I've never had to wait so long to make appointments for anything.

Resort Credits: I'm not sure why some people say they had a difficult time using these. We used almost all of our resort credits on our room upgrade, swimming with dolphins, couples massage, pictures and upgraded wine list. They are VERY easy to use!

Overall, we had a really great experience at the Sun Palace and would highly recommend it to anyone looking to go on vacation in Cancun!

8  Thank SDlovesthesun
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We celebrated Valentines Day 2012 at the Sun Palace and had an incredible time! Everything was perfect, what a great place!

Room Tip: Some rooms have outdoor jacuzis and some are indoor. Some have large balconies with beds and some are very small. The ocean view suites are spectacular!
3  Thank Julie S
Reviewed 23 February 2012

My wife and I visited Cancun and the Sun Palace for the past week and had a very enjoyable time. The highlights and notable experiences included:

The beach. Great!!!! Beautiful sand great water and waves large enough to have fun in without getting hurt. Splurging on the concierge level would be a good upgrade for the better beach chairs if the beach is your thing.

The food. Overall very good with this ranging from excellent (the beach dinner) to average (Italian) based on our tastes.

The service. One word - superb!! Great on all counts with Vanessa from the entertainment team being particularly notable.

The location. Close to the airport and very accessible to the main hotel strip for other activities if desired.

Resort credits. Make sure that you inquire about these AT THE TIME of check in. We learned about these on the third day and missed a Valentines Day dinner and were unable to fully utilize them due to this. Overall a good deal once you understand what you can do with these.

The overall resort is relatively quiet (just what we wanted and expected) as the crowd is primarily couples 30 to 50 years of age. If you are looking for a party place, you may not want to select this location. We love the adult’s only aspect of the resort as the last three vacations we have pursued this format and having kids of our own further makes us appreciate this part of the break from reality.

The rooms. Very good overall with great views from the upper levels (we were on the 8th and top floor). The liquor dispenser in the room is a great touch!

Overall a great week and we would return to a palace resort without hesitation.

Room Tip: Bed's are slightly harder than we like, but the rooms have a GREAT air conditioner.
6  Thank frogandgator
Reviewed 22 February 2012

You couldn't give this place a bad review even if Jack Bauer tortured you for 24 hrs straight!!!!
I stayed here on the week of October 14th for my girlfriends birthday. It rained all week long so we only got to go out to the beach one day but still the Sun Palace made it a memorable weekend. The highlight of our stay was ARTURO our waiter at the Mexican restaurant, if his English was better he should be running this place for sure. His understanding of hospitality is remarkable and a joy to witness...Thank you Mr. Arturo!!!!!
We used our resort points to upgrade to the Concierge Level, just the view is worth it, the rooms are breathtaking and have the best ocean view rooms I have ever seen. You also get the dinner on the beach and extra VIP treatment with the concierge so I would recommend it.
The entertainment is so so, and could be the only area of improvement that Sun Palace needs although the entertainment coordinators are funny and fun, but the activities are just boring and lame. The food was amazing, you do not need a reservation at any of the restaurants and the buffet is also simply delish!!!! All in all, we had a great week at Sun Palace and can't wait to return with our friends pretty soon.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Concierge Level
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank dgirma1980
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2012

I have to confess my total ignorance of who Jack Bauer is.
But I know who Arturo, our waiter is and am very proud of your opinion towards him.

Yours is proof that when you want to have a good time nothing can impede it. I salute you for that! Many do get very displeased when it rains.

It will be our honor to host you again in the near future. Please let us know when.

Most cordially,