“Don't worry about the crummy reviews”
Review of Ocean Spa Hotel

Ocean Spa Hotel
Ranked #50 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 25 March 2011

My husband and I just got back from a week at the Ocean Spa Hotel, he got the trip as a surprise for me, and then we read all the reviews and figured out it was a time share scam and we really did not want to go thinking that we were walking into a mess...however since it was paid for we went and hoped for the best. It was FINE. It wasn't 5 star, but not the trailor trash shack that we were expecting. We have been to various 5 star hotels, including Tahiti, Bahamas and Jamaica as well as Sandals and loved them all...., if you want 5 star you gotta pay for it....the time share presentation is no big deal, just be honest and straightforward, keeping in mind that these people are just doing their job....we left for the presentation at 9am, had breakfast with the salesman and were back to our hotel for lunch, they gave us both free passes for the spa, I figured the spa package would be watered down effort, but it was as good as any I've had anywhere...we upgraded our room to king bed and jacuzzi , and although it wasn't fancy it really was quite nice. The food was fine, plan to make reservations at the restraunt "Freida's" . I had steak and lobster and it was great, even the steak was good, and being from Calgary we know our steak... The staff is really nice, the place was clean and there are 2 sister hotels that you can go to for meals, or hang out on their beach which we did, the ocean spa is kinda the poor cousin of the bunch but it is also is smaller and quiter and has it's own personality which I quite liked....I think the problem with these reviews is that everyone seems to go on holidays with huge expectations that sometimes lead to disappointments, we heard numerous guests complaining while we were there but it all seemed to revolve around the guests thinking they were coming to 5 star all-inclusive....which it's not....but if you tone down your expections a bit I doubt if you will be disappointed, we had a really really good time, we went to Isla Muheres, probably wrong spelling, had a fantastic time (booked thru the hotel) and down to Cozumel on our own, the city bus system is great, the bus to Playa del Carmen was excellent and cheap and all in all we had a great holiday. Keep in mind some people complain about everything....you just need to think 3 star......but we really did have fun. hope you do too .

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Marion003
Write a ReviewReviews (2,938)

Reviewed 20 March 2011

I'm baffled by the glowing reviews of this place but also at the reviews that totally rip it apart. Here are my honest thoughts on this place as unbiased as can be.......

The good:
It is not a party place, so the pool and beach are generally quiet, though they sometimes have a few activities (like volleyball) on the beach. The staff is widely varying in their service and friendliness, but the good ones are really good - more on the bad ones later. The location is good and the bus stop is very close - the bus is the best way to get around Cancun for cheap. The hotel is small enough you can get around easily and there is never an issue getting a table for meals. Rooms were not fancy but comfortable enough. Our room was always clean and well kept by housekeeping.

The bad:
The timeshare thing sucks. We booked our room online and paid for it - no special timeshare deal, yet we were made to wait for a girl to give us the timeshare pitch before they would give us our room key. This REALLY sucks and is disrespectful to us who paid for our rooms with no preset conditions. Then when we refused to go on a timeshare presentation we were treated like 2nd class guests. F- on that Ocean Spa! On top of that when we went to the sister properties we had no all inclusive benefits, we would have had to pay for all drinks and meals there. (Again because we didn't do the timeshare presentation.) We felt a bit deceived and lied to about that. We were told we'd have "full access" to the sister properties. "Full Access" apparently meant we could walk around there and not get kicked out, that's about it. We complained but were bluntly told we only had all inclusive benefits at the Ocean Spa property, period. Enough on that. Just beware of it if you go here. Other bad things were the walls were paper thin, we could hear everything our neighbors did and I'm sure they heard us - and I mean everything! The food is mediocre at best and the drinks were bottom shelf liquor. Some bartenders were very attentive, others were really horrible. In fact throughout the hotel some of the staff was really great and some were just awful, it was weird. We found the good ones, went to them and tipped them to keep them around us - that helped.

Overall it's 3 star hotel so I guess you get what you pay for, though I would rate it more like 2-1/2 stars. We won't go back. It wasn't as disastrous as some of the reviews have said but certainly wasn't great either. If it wasn't for the obnoxious timeshare thing I would say it was "just OK" here.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank 62RKE
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Manager at Ocean Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate all comments since they provide us with an opportunity for improvement. We are very happy to hear you felt the accommodations you received were comfortable and clean, we will continue to strive in order to continue receiving these types of comments.
We will also be passing along your kind comments to our staff.

It is common procedure to have concierge or travel desk staff introduce themselves upon check in in order to make sure guests are informed of what options they have while on vacation. We regret you felt it was disrespectful; we will notify our staff to make sure they do not come across that way in the future.

In reference to the all inclusive we have different meal and beverage plans, the plan which you had while on vacation was the all inclusive for Ocean Spa Hotel only. We recommend you travel with the All Inclusive Multiple to have access to meals and beverages at our sister properties for your future vacation.

We reiterate our appreciation for you taking the time to provide us with your feedback and look forward to having you as a future guest.

Reviewed 18 March 2011

We booked our Cancun vacation through Expedia. They suggested the Ocean Spa resort for us.

On 3-09-11 we were at Sunset Royal, our hotels’ sister resort that we were able to visit with our all inclusive pass and had my wallet stolen. We called the bank and found out that it was immediately used within the hotel for $250.00 at Kiddy Travel. We then approached the man at Kiddy Travel and he acted very suspicious and jumped up immediately when we told him that someone used our card there. He said the man ran away from the hotel after he charged it and would not tell us what the thief looked like but said he knew who it was. He came back with the charge slip and canceled the charge. We continued to pressure the management about the wallet and it showed up at the desk. All of our cards and driver’s license were in the wallet but the cash we had in it was gone. We then threatened to call the police if we did not get our cash back. While we were eating lunch, the Kiddy Travel agent showed up with our cash. It was the same exact bills we had in our wallet. He said it was found rolled up behind the sink in the bathroom. This was defiantly an inside job.

Two days later on 3-11-11 our safe inside our room was robbed at our hotel. It was locked, we double checked. We went down for breakfast and then I quickly stopped by our room to get my IPod. The maid was in cleaning our room at that time and I left. After breakfast we went up to our room and opened our safe to discover we had been robbed. They took $700 in cash. We approached the hotel manager, Mario and he had us fill out a report which we now know what phony. We put in the report that we wanted them to call the police but kept reassuring us that they would do an investigation. We were promised a report the next day. We went back and of course, Mario was not there and we were told to come back the next morning. They said he would be back at noon. Of course at noon he was no where. They said that the head hotel manager would be in at 7am the next morning and we could talk to him then. Well of course he did not show up then either. They just kept pushing us off. It was our last day there and we were being picked up by the airport shuttle at 7:40am. The manager that was there that morning told us that we had to check out and pay up on our bill. Upon booking through Expedia, we were told we would get a free lobster dinner on the night of our choice. Well, when we sat down for dinner we were told it was $10 extra for the lobster dinner. So that $10 from our lobster dinner was on our bill that we wanted us to pay. We were very angry at this point that he wanted to make sure we paid the $10 and that he did not care that his staff member stole $700 out of our safe. The hotel called the police on us because we were refusing to pay the $10!!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank robbedbyhotelstaff
Reviewed 17 March 2011

This hotel is totally bogus. Everything is done in a rinky dink way. It starts when you check in and they will only give you one room key even though there are multiply people staying in the room. They tell you it is for security. They explain that if you lose a key, somebody could make copies of it. Of course they have no answer for what happens if you lose the one key they do give you. Can't somebody still make copies of that?

Later, when you want some ice to set a drink in, you are told, you can get a cup of ice at the bar. Of course, you have to wait 5 minutes until the bar tender decides you are worth waiting on. And you get a Dixie cup with 3 cubes of ice in it. I guess letting people loose with an ice bucket at an ice machine could cost a nickel. They won't have any part of that.

When you tuck in for the night, don't toss and turn even a little bit. The sheets don't fit the bed. They quickly come out of place and you will be laying right on the mattress. And when you take a dump in the morning, flush halfway through it. Otherwise you will plug up the toilet.

The list goes on and on. If you go stay at this place with the expectation that everything is going to be sub-standard and Mickey Mouse, you will be fine. But if you expect to be treated decently, you will be best off staying somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Stundo
Reviewed 15 March 2011

Most people at this hotel have been suckered into the Time Share vacation and have to attend the presentation. Well 5 hours later i had my life back. But once you didn't buy a time share you were no longer the valued guest you were the day before. Was reasonably clean, but beach is limited. I needed 2 extra nights and they were of no help. Finally after having to get a little grumpy the Concierge Supervisor said he would help me find a room. Well he found me a room all alright. He told me he had me a great hotel on the ocean usually 160 a night for 95.00. Well without boring you with details i ended up being backdoored into a condo - cash only. I was travelling alone and i was pretty scared the first night. Next day i tried to find the fellow took me to the room and took my cash...all of a sudden no one heard of him. So much more to this story, but bottom line is that Alex Ramos - Concierge of Ocean Spa should have never put me in this position, at least without telling me what he was doing. Very scary and I will be writing both Ocean Spa and Premiere Cancun Vacations as this entire week was the worst time I have ever had. They promise one thing and do another. VERY disappointing. Hotel very noisy and paper thin walls. No security ever cleared the drunkness in hallways at 3 in morning.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo