US$290
Priceline
US$276
Cancelon
Savings alert! 21% below average rates

The price you found is 21% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$350/night.

3,838 results
All reviewsthe bell boythe mexican restaurantisla mujeresconcierge deskbeach barthe wait staffentertainment staffdowntown cancunbeach volleyballwater aerobicscoco bongoa lot of funour waiternachososcarfridamiguel
Reviewed 20 March 2011

I'm baffled by the glowing reviews of this place but also at the reviews that totally rip it apart. Here are my honest thoughts on this place as unbiased as can be.......

The good:
It is not a party place, so the pool and beach are generally quiet, though they sometimes have a few activities (like volleyball) on the beach. The staff is widely varying in their service and friendliness, but the good ones are really good - more on the bad ones later. The location is good and the bus stop is very close - the bus is the best way to get around Cancun for cheap. The hotel is small enough you can get around easily and there is never an issue getting a table for meals. Rooms were not fancy but comfortable enough. Our room was always clean and well kept by housekeeping.

The bad:
The timeshare thing sucks. We booked our room online and paid for it - no special timeshare deal, yet we were made to wait for a girl to give us the timeshare pitch before they would give us our room key. This REALLY sucks and is disrespectful to us who paid for our rooms with no preset conditions. Then when we refused to go on a timeshare presentation we were treated like 2nd class guests. F- on that Ocean Spa! On top of that when we went to the sister properties we had no all inclusive benefits, we would have had to pay for all drinks and meals there. (Again because we didn't do the timeshare presentation.) We felt a bit deceived and lied to about that. We were told we'd have "full access" to the sister properties. "Full Access" apparently meant we could walk around there and not get kicked out, that's about it. We complained but were bluntly told we only had all inclusive benefits at the Ocean Spa property, period. Enough on that. Just beware of it if you go here. Other bad things were the walls were paper thin, we could hear everything our neighbors did and I'm sure they heard us - and I mean everything! The food is mediocre at best and the drinks were bottom shelf liquor. Some bartenders were very attentive, others were really horrible. In fact throughout the hotel some of the staff was really great and some were just awful, it was weird. We found the good ones, went to them and tipped them to keep them around us - that helped.

Overall it's 3 star hotel so I guess you get what you pay for, though I would rate it more like 2-1/2 stars. We won't go back. It wasn't as disastrous as some of the reviews have said but certainly wasn't great either. If it wasn't for the obnoxious timeshare thing I would say it was "just OK" here.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank 62RKE
DavidZCancun_Mexico, Manager at Ocean Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate all comments since they provide us with an opportunity for improvement. We are very happy to hear you felt the accommodations you received were comfortable and clean, we will continue to strive in order to continue receiving these types of comments.
We will also be passing along your kind comments to our staff.

It is common procedure to have concierge or travel desk staff introduce themselves upon check in in order to make sure guests are informed of what options they have while on vacation. We regret you felt it was disrespectful; we will notify our staff to make sure they do not come across that way in the future.

In reference to the all inclusive we have different meal and beverage plans, the plan which you had while on vacation was the all inclusive for Ocean Spa Hotel only. We recommend you travel with the All Inclusive Multiple to have access to meals and beverages at our sister properties for your future vacation.

We reiterate our appreciation for you taking the time to provide us with your feedback and look forward to having you as a future guest.

Reviewed 18 March 2011

We booked our Cancun vacation through Expedia. They suggested the Ocean Spa resort for us.

On 3-09-11 we were at Sunset Royal, our hotels’ sister resort that we were able to visit with our all inclusive pass and had my wallet stolen. We called the bank and found out that it was immediately used within the hotel for $250.00 at Kiddy Travel. We then approached the man at Kiddy Travel and he acted very suspicious and jumped up immediately when we told him that someone used our card there. He said the man ran away from the hotel after he charged it and would not tell us what the thief looked like but said he knew who it was. He came back with the charge slip and canceled the charge. We continued to pressure the management about the wallet and it showed up at the desk. All of our cards and driver’s license were in the wallet but the cash we had in it was gone. We then threatened to call the police if we did not get our cash back. While we were eating lunch, the Kiddy Travel agent showed up with our cash. It was the same exact bills we had in our wallet. He said it was found rolled up behind the sink in the bathroom. This was defiantly an inside job.

Two days later on 3-11-11 our safe inside our room was robbed at our hotel. It was locked, we double checked. We went down for breakfast and then I quickly stopped by our room to get my IPod. The maid was in cleaning our room at that time and I left. After breakfast we went up to our room and opened our safe to discover we had been robbed. They took $700 in cash. We approached the hotel manager, Mario and he had us fill out a report which we now know what phony. We put in the report that we wanted them to call the police but kept reassuring us that they would do an investigation. We were promised a report the next day. We went back and of course, Mario was not there and we were told to come back the next morning. They said he would be back at noon. Of course at noon he was no where. They said that the head hotel manager would be in at 7am the next morning and we could talk to him then. Well of course he did not show up then either. They just kept pushing us off. It was our last day there and we were being picked up by the airport shuttle at 7:40am. The manager that was there that morning told us that we had to check out and pay up on our bill. Upon booking through Expedia, we were told we would get a free lobster dinner on the night of our choice. Well, when we sat down for dinner we were told it was $10 extra for the lobster dinner. So that $10 from our lobster dinner was on our bill that we wanted us to pay. We were very angry at this point that he wanted to make sure we paid the $10 and that he did not care that his staff member stole $700 out of our safe. The hotel called the police on us because we were refusing to pay the $10!!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank robbedbyhotelstaff
Reviewed 17 March 2011

This hotel is totally bogus. Everything is done in a rinky dink way. It starts when you check in and they will only give you one room key even though there are multiply people staying in the room. They tell you it is for security. They explain that if you lose a key, somebody could make copies of it. Of course they have no answer for what happens if you lose the one key they do give you. Can't somebody still make copies of that?

Later, when you want some ice to set a drink in, you are told, you can get a cup of ice at the bar. Of course, you have to wait 5 minutes until the bar tender decides you are worth waiting on. And you get a Dixie cup with 3 cubes of ice in it. I guess letting people loose with an ice bucket at an ice machine could cost a nickel. They won't have any part of that.

When you tuck in for the night, don't toss and turn even a little bit. The sheets don't fit the bed. They quickly come out of place and you will be laying right on the mattress. And when you take a dump in the morning, flush halfway through it. Otherwise you will plug up the toilet.

The list goes on and on. If you go stay at this place with the expectation that everything is going to be sub-standard and Mickey Mouse, you will be fine. But if you expect to be treated decently, you will be best off staying somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Stundo
Reviewed 15 March 2011

Most people at this hotel have been suckered into the Time Share vacation and have to attend the presentation. Well 5 hours later i had my life back. But once you didn't buy a time share you were no longer the valued guest you were the day before. Was reasonably clean, but beach is limited. I needed 2 extra nights and they were of no help. Finally after having to get a little grumpy the Concierge Supervisor said he would help me find a room. Well he found me a room all alright. He told me he had me a great hotel on the ocean usually 160 a night for 95.00. Well without boring you with details i ended up being backdoored into a condo - cash only. I was travelling alone and i was pretty scared the first night. Next day i tried to find the fellow took me to the room and took my cash...all of a sudden no one heard of him. So much more to this story, but bottom line is that Alex Ramos - Concierge of Ocean Spa should have never put me in this position, at least without telling me what he was doing. Very scary and I will be writing both Ocean Spa and Premiere Cancun Vacations as this entire week was the worst time I have ever had. They promise one thing and do another. VERY disappointing. Hotel very noisy and paper thin walls. No security ever cleared the drunkness in hallways at 3 in morning.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank lortech
Reviewed 14 March 2011

My fiance and I were very excited about our vacation. I created a surprise destination for him. He had no idea where we were going or where we were staying. I knew where we were staying, or so I thought.
I reserved a standard room with 2 queens or 1 King with a partial view of the ocean. When we arrived, we checked in at the front desk, and they asked us to sit in the lobby to wait for the ladies to come explain the all inclusive package. After seeing the other people checking in, we assumed this wait was normal. However, after waiting 30 minutes in the lobby and not being assisted, he and I asked what we were waiting for. They told us the front desk had not told them (the ladies) we were waiting. A little irritated, we listened to our package information. They informed us of all of our dining choices and that if we wanted to, we could go on a tour of their sister locations (basically a time share tour). We declined and were asked to proceed to the front desk again to retrieve our room key. Upon doing so, the man at the front desk seemed very rude. We brushed it off because they were very busy, and we understand the overwhelming feeling (because of both of our occupations.)
We walked up the stairs to our room BECAUSE THERE ARE NO ELEVATORS. IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO DO STAIRS, DO NOT STAY HERE! Walking into the room, my heart sank. The room was FREEZING. The air condition was broken. We tried turning up the heat and just turning it off all together. Neither worked. We had two full beds (not queen or king as per the reservation.) The tv was broken. It had no sound. If that these were the only problems, we could have managed. After all, how often are you really in your room in Mexico? But sadly the problems continued. Sheets were paper thin, no alarm clock, and the view of the ocean I reserved? Forget about it. We were looking straight at a wall.
We went back to the service counter (check in) and informed him of the issues with the room. I showed him a copy of my reservation. He said he did not have another room that fit the description on my reservation. They were completely booked. However, he did tell me we could stay in a spa suite room, FOR AN ADDITIONAL $50/NIGHT. The spa suite fit the description of my reservation, with the addition of a spa tub. He was going to charge me 50/night for the room I should have had already plus a tub. I was appalled. We stuck it out for a night, and waited for the next person at the service counter.
The next day, we were informed the only way we could get the room we reserved was to stay in the spa suite. Which was, as the man before said $50/night OR we could do the time share tour and stay in the room for free. Again appalled. He and I both bit our tongues with all the nasty things we wanted to say, swallowed our pride, and went on the tour.

The restaurants had slow service. Even at the buffet, they want to seat you, which is fine, but even if the waiters always take 15 min to get your drink, dont think of going to the bar to get it yourself. You WILL GET YELLED AT. The manager yelled at my fiance twice for getting our drinks. The only reason he had to retrieve them was because the server took a lifetime to get them for us. Not to mention the drinks were the ONLY GOOD THING ABOUT ANY OF THE 3 RESTAURANTS. The food was HORRIBLE. No matter what time we went to the buffet, the hot food was ALWAYS COLD.

The beach the hotel sits on is a harbor area. The beach in front of the hotel is between two piers with boats docked to the left and wave-runners parked up on the beach (24/7). Forget about white sandy beaches and the sound of waves crashing.. you will not find either of those things here.

In the end, we did not get the room I already paid for, service was horrible, food was terrible, and the beach is more of a cove (at a salty lake.)

SO, all in all, IT WAS A MOMENTOUS LET DOWN.

ps...
The bad room we got was 228. The spa suites are actually pretty nice if you want to pay the extra 50/night or spend one full day of your vacation on a time share tour. We had room 245 (the jets in our tub were broken.)

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple