“misleading timeshare group”
Review of Ocean Spa Hotel

Ocean Spa Hotel
Ranked #50 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 11 June 2008

Booked family vacation through special offer from corporate vacation fax. IRR Marketing Co. misrepresented hotel and location of hotels. We were told we would be staying at either Sunset Royal or Sunset Lagoon, only to discover that we had been down graded to the Ocean Hotel because of the size of our party. The number of people and rooms were disclosed upfront prior to purchasing vacation package and were told that would not matter.

The hotel is older without elevators. The A/C didn't work in one of the rooms, asked hotel desk 3 times to repair, then argued with them to change rooms. New room started cool but ended up hot by the end of the day. Could not get another room, had to double up in the rooms that had cold A/C to beable to sleep.
The pool was nice but they never had towels by the end of the day to use and we were always told that none could be obtained.
Food was okay, but it was the same everyday which we got tired of. The beach was nice, but you need water shoes because of the rocks.

Time share tour was horrible. I explained the deceptive marketing tatics and was told we should not have expected those hotels for the price we had paid for the corporate vacation package and that we should not hold it agaisnt the hotel for the marketers sales tackets. Representative kept referring to the Ocean Hotel as a less than standard hotel that had no association with the Sunset Hotels, which I discovered later had no truth to it. After several managers tried different sales approachs on us, my husband got angry and got into an arguement with a Closer Manager who finally ask us to leave.

It was our first time to Cancun and did not realize that any of the tours or fun things (snorkeling, parasailing, sailing, jungle tour, mayan ruins tour) required cash. There were very few places that took credit cards. They also wanted US dollars or would charge a surcharge for the local money. The buses were they best way to get around, however, if you didn't have exact change you rarely would get back the correct change if any. The tour drivers that picked you up at the hotel, often tried to charge you again for the transfer that you had already paid for in your package. If you are good at debating with everybody you come in contact with, this may be the place for you. You usually win after I lengthy debate.

All in all, I am accustom to the Hotel Employees trying to accomadate your wants and needs and that did not happen for my group. I will pay the extra money next time to have better experience in a 4/5 star resort in the future.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank fairhairtraveler
SLagoon, Manager at Ocean Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2009

Dear Guest, thank you for your review. I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we are doing right, what we are doing wrong and how we can improve. Let me inform you that the Ocean Spa Hotel has had a complete renovation, now we have a modern appearance, fixed all the air-conditioning system, install an elevator, etc. Hopping to give you a welcome back to Ocean Spa Hotel. Best regards.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,938)

Reviewed 3 June 2008

the hotel is not the best looking we didn't know it was our hotel when pulled up actually we didn't know the first couple of times we pulled up. it really smells in cancun period but its beautiful. the hotel service was wonderful but our view sucked and the "italian resturant" sucked it was half mexican half italian. they gave us free lobster dinner but it was way over cooked. but we did get $30 off of a massage it was wonderful....... they did have the best cheeseburgers i have ever tasted. the good thing is you can use the amenities @ the other hotels and sunset royal has the best beach.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank wisdombody

Dear Guest, thank for your comments. I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we are doing right, what we are doing wrong and how we can improve. About your comment of the Italian restaurant, I wish to tell you that we have a new specialty Mexican restaurant that is inside the totally renovated lobby of the hotel. We invite you to come back and know the new Ocean Spa Hotel building. Best regards.

Reviewed 3 June 2008

Ocean Hotel Staff are the best. The ocean hotel is not as nice at Sunset Lagoon or the royal. The staff are great!!! Food was Great. It is buffet style but they try hard and make it great. The 90 min. presentation is about 4-6 hours long for EVERYONE!!!! Thats the worst part. Just remember to say NO NO NO.
There is also no air conditioning in the rooms and it gets very very hot!!!!! Like I said the staff and service is great. The rooms are clean and it is a very relaxed enviornment. Great view of the beach and great transportation and VIP services. The staff were extremely helpful!!!!

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank montanalastbestplace

Dear Guest, thank you for your review. I want to tell you that the entire hotel had been renovated and all the maintenance problems were fixed. Now we have a beautiful hotel with new restaurants, lobby, furniture, concept, etc. Hopping to give you a welcome back to Ocean Spa Hotel. Best regards.

Reviewed 2 June 2008

The Ocean hotel had 2 great qualities: It was very clean and the staff was wonderful!!! Other than that, it's an older hotel and I wouldn't call the 3 bars they had even bars, the lobby bar was a joke and the swim up bar was just that you swam up and oredered a drink, nothing fancy. The resturaunt bar was the best bar and that isn't saying much! The food was not good at all, stick to the hamburgers, fruit and salad and you will like the food! There weren't many people there so it was very boring atmosphere. Thank god we had all inclusive at 3 other resorts which we went to the majority of the time. The hotel was also very noisy which was quite annoying. All in all, it was an ok hotel but I would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank aepure

Dear Guest, thank you for your comments. It is important for us to know all your comments about the service and the hotel. Let me tell you that the whole hotel was renovate, all the furniture is new even the concept. Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us, hopping to give you a welcome back to Ocean Spa Hotel.

Reviewed 9 May 2008

Before I get started with the Ocean Hotel, let me tell you about my experiences with the Sunset Group. When I purchased the trip from the telemarketer, they told me I could stay in my choice of the Sunset Lagoon or Royal. What a great deal!!! Of course I bought. When it came to making my reservations, they told me those hotels are booked up for the rest of the year and my only option is Ocean Hotel. I was furius and completely mislead. Truth is, those hotels are members only, don't fall for it. So I usually travel 4 or 5 star and now I have no choice but to take my gf for a romantic getaway at a 3-star hotel. So off we went.

When we pulled up to the front, it looked like a motel and I was almost single in a matter of seconds. But after seeing the grounds, which are small but decent, we were a little more optomistic. Our room was very basic, nothing fancy, TV channels were scrambly and AC was loud, but it was clean, no bugs, and it did the job. Of note, the sheets did not fit the King Size Bed so we found ourselves sleeping on the mattress every now and then. Also, they give you an actual key for a room key, which is odd, outdated, and probably not that secure. Make sure you use the safe for your valuables.

The grounds were well kept. The pool was old, but clean and we spent a lot of time in it. The sand on the beach was nice, but the water is gross and you don't wanna swim in it. There are daily activites, but because of the shortage of people staying there, most of them didn't happen. We made our own activities ex. Tennis, soccer, swimming. The shows were small, short and nothing great. The grounds were pretty in the evening.

The food was alright and better than we expected out of that resort. We didn't get sick and ate lots. Good variety too. The buffet area is clean and spacious. The A La Carte is small, but the lobster was tasty. The service was the best part of this Resort! The staff were always happy and helpful. They earn their tips! The drinks were alright. Nothing too fancy, but can't complain.

On our second day, we did the time share tour. They tell you 90 min, but it was actually more like 5 hours. Don't fall for their sales scams. They are all very dishonest people that only want your cc. They put us through about 6 different reps and even took us to the "owners lounge" to make us feel like we are getting a "special deal". I was mad initially because of the dishonesty when i booked my trip so they didn't get anywhere with us and my gf actually called them liar's to their face, haha. My advice, if you actually want to become a member, wait a while because they come way down in price!

We did get to use the amenities at those Resorts so we did enjoy our time there. To wrap it up, the Ocean Hotel is like the little Hotel that could. It's quiet, not busy, and does the job. It's not as bad as some reviews, but if you expect a large, luxurius, beautiful resort, this is not it. and no, I would not go back.

4  Thank canada74
SLagoon, Manager at Ocean Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2009

Dear Guest, thank you for your review. I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we are doing right, what we are doing wrong and how we can improve. Let me inform you that the Ocean Spa Hotel has had a complete renovation, now we have a modern appearance with imported materials like woods, marble, onix, etc., to give you a welcome back to Ocean Spa Hotel.