Grand Oasis Cancun
US$209
US$189
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
The Royal Caribbean(Cancun)(Great Value!)
US$150
US$136
Agoda.com
US$109
US$79
Agoda.com
US$503
Bookit.com
Le Blanc Spa Resort(Cancun)
US$800
US$676
US$506
US$450
11,235 results
All reviewscoyote locomaria bonitayounger crowdparty atmospherecoco bongoshowscareyescircusblastcarlos
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We were there from December 21 to December 28.

Room was alright. Nothing extravagant but everything worked. Poor lighting in bathroom. I heard from another guest that their shower did not work for four days so I guess we lucked out.

Bars were good and they will give you what you want. No problem getting a double if you want one. Close awful early though - most at 10 with only one bar open until 12.

Not much in the way of entertainment. Some roaving musicians but nothing else at night other than a disco which is fine for younger guests but you will need to pay as this is not part of the all-inclusive.

Restaurants vary. We found the quality and service best at the Mexican. The next best is the Mediteranean. The worst was Joys, the American food one. The first time there, they seemed to have run out of food so they would occupy half the seats and made for a long wait and a limited selection. They should have admitted to a screw up and just closed it down. The second time we got cold fries. And in both cases, the service sucked big time. They need to put a decent manager in there. The buffet restaurants at either end of the complex are good and the selection is quite varied. A couple of the restaurants are only for those who have a black wrist band. And generally, they seem to operate restaurant times varied from the schedule. It may say open at 12 but don't count on it.

The pool is alright. They have an area for younger guests with a dj and games during the day. The smaller kids focus on the other end of the pool. One thing that is annoying, and I don't know how it could be resolved, is when guests throw their towel or other items on equipment early in the morning and then claim it for the day even though they use it sporadically during the day. There are only a few hamocks and cabanas so don't count on getting one. Unless you want to get up at the crack of dawn.

There are issues with stairs. You check in then you have to haul your luggage up a bunch of stairs. The elevator is only any good if you reside in that specific building. The same happens in other buildings. I don't know how someone with a disability can operate without a loss of dignity.

Service is hit and miss. Some are great. And some should fine another line of work.

We've never been to an all-inclusive before and it did exceed my expecations. Of course, I always keep them low so as to not be disappointed lol.

4  Thank Ken A
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Scams everywhere you look in this place - have your wits about you and make sure you take print outs of all your confirmations and make sure you ask for proof of everything you have payed for and ask for copies of everything you have signed.

****CHECK IN:****
After arriving at the hotel (booked a 'Best Day' airport transfer - major scam designed to get you to hand over your flight details and if you don't book activities through them they will threaten to cancel your flight, avoid at all costs!!!) to check in we were bombarded by the Bell Boys asking what is our name and we will take your bags... My name was not on the list so I did not want to give my bags. They are quite forceful, it took me saying 'no thanks, let me sort this out and check in first' atleast 20 times before they would relent.

We were greeted by Virginia at the front desk who was pleasant enough at first, but it soon transpired even checking in was a scam. I had paid extra for an OCEAN FRONT room. I was quickly given room keys, wrist bands (100USD if you don't return them) towel cards (pay 15 USD if you lose them) and the requested lock for the room safe (4 USD per day). Was given a map and told our room number and when i looked on the map where the room actually was - it was not Ocean front, infact it was in the Oasis building at the back of the resort. Obviously since I had paid the extra and was anticipating the ocean front room I raised this with Virginia who replied that in their system it shows as 'Ocean View' and that they are the same and there are no more Ocean Front rooms and to come back in the morning and try to get an Ocean Front room. This is the fault of the Hotel if they have overbooked, and if I have paid for something, that's what I expect to get. Well... what an ordeal..... Virginia refused to budge on this issue - going out the back to speak to 'The Manager' and returning a few minutes later to say exactly the same speil she had said before.

Now, this went on for around 30-40minutes and the people waiting to check in behind us obviously becoming increasingly frustrated, however this was now a matter of principle and if the room I had paid for really wasn't available; a) it's not my problem b) i want some compensation for this, either my money back or some sort of gesture from the Grand Oasis

Finally, Virginia relented and suggested we speak to the manager. The manager turned out to be standing around 10m away from us the whole time. So her going out the back really was just to waste time.

After waiting another 10minutes to speak to the manager as he was already dealing with some irate guests, we finally get to speak to him and tell him what is wrong and all of a sudden 'no problem, here is your room key'.

Virginia is obviously incentivised to change guests to cheaper rooms. There is no other viable explanation.

****ROOM****
When we finally get to the room, there is no minibar in the room (the specs of the room state there is a minibar in each room, providing 2 waters, 2 sodas, and 2 beers each day).

We call reception and ask why is there no fridge in this room. They tell us, oh actually it's a minibar service - you need to call room service...

We call room service and ask for Water and beer. 40mins later, still no one arrived. Call again - are told '5minutes'....15minutes later still no one - call again... Finally they arrive at the door an hour and 10mins after we first called them (the resort is not exactly huge...they are obviously very short staffed and/or lazy).

The room itself is okay - nothing special, definitely smells danky, quite dated but a nice OCEAN FRONT position. Well worth the perserverance to get.

The floor just before balcony is leaking water - we assume it is a pipe under the floor as we mop it up with a towel but it just comes back straight away.

The shower is okay but the water does smell like it's been treated from a septic tank.

So... needless to say the first day experience at Grand Oasis was extremely disappointing.

****FOOD & DRINK****
The next day we wake up very early as we are still on the opposite time zone.... We head to Ibiza for breakfast around 6.30am. Very impressed by the service and the selection of food and drink on offer. Lots of fresh fruits and juices, aswell as hot breakfast items and champagne. Very impressed. We noticed as we were leaving at 7.30 that a small line was beginning to form outside Ibiza. For the rest of our stay we arrived at Ibiza for breakfast by 7.30 to avoid having to wait for a long time to be seated.

Next down to the beach which is beautiful. There are definitely not nearly enough sun loungers for how many people are at this resort. Also fellow guests have the annoying habit of 'securing' loungers with their beach towels. Ridiculous. Either you are using them or you are not.

Anyway - parked up at the beach all day nearly every day of the stay.

The restaurants within the resort are understaffed for sure, but for the most part the food is very nice and good quality.

The service and having to wait is very disappointing as you ALWAYS have to queue up to be seated. And the service is very patchy. We experienced very good service at Dos Lunas at lunchtime. However most of the other restaurants service experience was poor. We tipped everyday, it didn't seem to make much difference.

The beach bar with Pedro and Jaime was another story however - these guys were flipping burgers and pouring margaritas in record time! Always busy and going as fast as humanly possible - this was the only time there was any sense of urgency in the whole place. Pedro and Jaime definitely made the trip for us. I am certain these guys made good money in tips as everyone had a few dollars in their hands in line.

****BARS****
Most of the swim up bars have ridiculously loud and offensive music blaring at an uncivilised level. This is something bear in mind if you are not into euro trash techno music at 2pm.
There were lots of younger kids enjoying it though (we are mid-late 20s, a bit of loungey house music would have been ideal)

The Legends bar and Up and Down bars are vile. I would advise anyone not into trashy aggressive techno music to steer well clear of these places.

Like with the restaurants - the bar business model appears to work on the idea that there should be one person, maximum of two at any bar, therefore you just have to wait your turn which can sometimes mean up to 30-40minutes or more. Not ideal considering they already have your money.

Also, all of the liquour IS WATERED DOWN. It is just not possible for my sister and I to consume 4-5 margaritas within 2hours and not feel even slightly tipsy.

We bought our own bottle of tequila to top up our drinks ourselves - not to get drunk, but just to have some sort of sensation

***DRIVING****
Not related to this resort, but related to the experience overall - we hired a car to visit Chichen Itza. Within the first 200m of leaving the hotel we are pulled over by the 'Tourist Police' who basically saw white faces and then pulled us over claiming we were speeding (we were doing 35km in a 40km zone and where they pulled us over we had literally just come around a corner so they could not have even seen us before this). Obviously the point of this scam is for the cops to get money out of tourists, which on some level I can understand, however this was not even a clever scam, it was simply 'i've got a gun, give me money'. We managed to argue our way out of it and demanded to see the speed camera (which we later found out is the wrong thing to do) as it was 7.30 in the morning and I guess they decided it was too much hassle and they would get us later. Miraculously managed to get to Chichen Itza and back without being pulled over again by the cops but that was more to do with luck on our side as every 500m or so there is someone being pulled over so it is only a matter of time.

This is just really disappointing on a number of levels, but mainly because it's exactly this sort of thing that will mean tourists stop coming to this country. They are not there to protect the tourists, they are there to fleece and intimidate the tourists.

OVERALL*****
Overall a very mixed experience. On the one hand, the beach is wonderful - such beautifully bright and clean water. And when you do happen to encounter good service, it is wonderful.

However, on the other hand - the undercurrent of corruption and scam tactics really counteract almost all of the positives.

We made the most of it once we were there and figured out how to get the best out of this resort, but would I go again? NO. Would I recommend to anyone else? Definitely NOT

Spend your money elsewhere, go to Hawaii or South East Asia instead. The beaches are just as beautiful and you don't have to deal with feeling unsafe and being fleeced at every opportunity.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank jumboshrimpy
Reviewed 3 January 2012

If you don't speak Spanish then you will struggle getting around this resort. We had the black-wristbands and were given all of the VIP treatment which ended up being nothing. This was my family's third trip to Mexico within the last 3 years and it was our worst resort yet. The chairs are uncomfortable, the resort is a maze, the staff could care less about the guests, and the hotel rooms were literally falling apart. There was no kid area and no teenagers. This resort was filled with teenage foreigners who were only there to party. The shows are in a disco room that is very dark and you can barely get a seat. There are no family games and you do not see the same people twice, ever, not even the staff. Thank goodness that I have an awesome family and we were able to make the best of this awful resort.

3  Thank greekster7
Reviewed 3 January 2012

I too was wary with the ocassional extremely negative view of this place from other reviewers.

I think the average review of "4" is correct.

Our room was clean. The walls are thin so if you got somebody obnoxiously loud next to you, that could be a problem

We found the food fantastic. There are lines to get alcohol by the beach. However, use the swimup bar or walk to a farther bar and you can have as many drinks as you want.

I can't think of a thing that was nearly as extreme as some of the poor reviews suggested.

Room Tip: Bring a big insulated cup. Bartenders will fill with cerveza or mixed drinks.
1  Thank Mitchell H
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We stayed in Grand Oasis Ocean Front from 24th to 27th Dec. I enjoyed staying there but everybody has own opinion.Guest service its very nice but we got the room at 3oclock but were given black band and have every access to VIP lounge and restaurent. My phone in the room was not working I complaint and it was fixed next day when we were about to leave but its ok. Rooms are small don't expect much in the rooms if you want big room the book in pyramid one above the lobby ,those rooms were big but bed quality is the same. Give1$ bill to maid or restaurent waiter and keep going well. Staff is courteous and soft spoken no complaints. Food is good lots of varieties no complaints but long lines to go inside. Only problem with the hotel is the room its small and bathroom is rusted and dirty sand was there.
We took a tour to Chitzen Itza from AGI tour and travell wonderful book it without having any dought very good guide (danieal)

Room Tip: Use Pyramid above the counter of hotel lobby. No need for Ocean front.
3  Thank Anil K