“Gorgeous Lobby in an Aging Marriott Resort Hotel”

CasaMagna Marriott Cancun Resort
Ranked #16 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Manahawkin, New Jersey
“Gorgeous Lobby in an Aging Marriott Resort Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Overall, an excellent and relaxing visit and trip to the hotel. Service was very good to excellent - especially the concierge staff, and Roman in Housekeeping maintaining our guest room. While once an opulent hotel, it's really showing it's age, especially for a Marriott product. My friend and I stayed for 4 nights in late January, and utilized many of the hotel services including the La Capilla Argentina Steakhouse each morning for breakfast. Service was always friendly but often slow. Arriving about 11am for breakfast one morning resulted in lower quality servings (and this was ala carte). Arriving early, slow service. Opted to dine at the JW Marriott one night, and it failed by comparison to local restaurants. Ordered Room Service late the first evening (after 10pm), and it was mediocre. Though we were politely informed it was available 24 hours a day.

The lobby was stunning, but the ridiculously loud music in the evening steered us away 100% of the time. A piano player would have been perfect. It's no wonder the space was usually empty. We also enjoyed poolside food and drinks. As another reviewer mentioned, Internet access is not even free in the hotel business center - although they did provide us free access to print boarding passes. Speaking of transportation, this put my travel companion and I in a real pickle. The hotel offers an airport shuttle, DIRECT for about $14 each way. But on the hotel website at Marriott.com, if you book transportation, for the same price, you are serviced by a 3rd party shuttle, which stops at multiple hotels! The only way to book the hotel shuttle, is to contact the hotel concierge directly. I cannot comprehend why they sell 2 different services. My friend had to leave for the airport an hour before me because of this situation.

The pool area was welcoming, inviting, and the water fresh and relaxing. We used the spa for a massage (ocean side), which was very nice, but a little pricey for the service level. While the room was overall excellent, the hotel needs updating, for a Marriott. Lots of small touches missing - mold inside the shower was unacceptable for Marriott, even in a tropical climate. Outdoor lighting and speakers by the Hot Tub were old and rusty. Small items like this should be managed better by the ownership. While I would stay at the hotel again, since there was nothing "exceptional" about my visit, on a future visit, I would try another hotel in the area. I do want to emphasize that overall, service was excellent and polite. Our room was serviced and cleaned exceptionally well every day. Areas of excellence included housekeeping, valet/door staff, concierge and pool food servers. All other encounters were as expected. At no point did anyone ask me "how is your stay?". With a few adjustments, I think the overall experience could have been outstanding, versus average / very good. If I could change one thing immediately, I would stop the loud karaoke and replace with something soft and inviting - something to match the beautiful and grand lobby! In summary, it’s a lovely older hotel (probably about 20 years in age), with very good service overall.

Room Tip: If you want an ocean view room, you must book an ocean-side room. An ocean-view here is defined as...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
MarriottCancun, Public Relations Manager at CasaMagna Marriott Cancun Resort, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
We really appreciate your feedback. Be sure all your comments have been taken into consideration. We are aware that breakfast is an important part of our guests’ experience at our property, so we are glad to inform that we have implemented new and exciting serving standards to make this restaurant an even better experience for all our guests at all serving times. We have also followed up the comment about the loud music at our Lobby Bar. We will keep it pleasant to all our guests. Regarding airport transportation, we do offer different options to our guests’ to choose from, according to their specific needs.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (925)
  • Hebrew first
Indianapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

The Marriott CasaMagna Resort hotel is lovely. We up-graded to a ocean front which had a great view of the beach and ocean. The room was well appointed and comfortable. The beach is soft white sand and well kept. However, the room did not have a coffee pot which we expected and WI-FI was ridiculously expensive. Do not eat at Chanpions Restaurant which is just outside the entrnce to the hotel. The service was non existant and the food was barely eatable. Out $10 glass of wine was so bad that we sent it back and had it taken off of our bill. The waitresses seemed to have time to chat with each other but not to take care of guests.

Room Tip: Upgrade to at least ocean view
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
We are really sorry for the unpleasant experience you had at this restaurant. We have shared your comments with our Chef and the restaurant’s Manager to make sure both the food and the service are always to our clients’ entire satisfaction.
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

Jest got back from 5 days at the Marriott CasaMagna Cancun Resort (Feb. 21 - 26), and was impressed with the overall resort.

Made use of the hotel's airport shuttle ($14 each way) and had no problems with getting to/from resort. Check-in/out was handled very efficiently with very little wait either time. Resort itself is very elegant with nice lobby, restaurants and lobby bar. They have a very nice Sports bar just outside the lobby with lots of TVs for watching sports.

Rooms were very good, especially the beds. Bath was well laid out with upscale toiletries.

Employees are what makes this resort top notch. I had a problem with my luggage on arrival and the concierge worked very hard to track it down and kept me informed on the status of their efforts. It arrived late that night and as soon as it came in, I got a phone call advising its arrival. Very well handled and much appreciated. Staff at the restaurants and bars were very friendly (especially Carlos in the lobby bar).

Pool area is very large and well kept. Access to the beach was very easy and it looked like there were a lot of loungers and umbrellas available.

I was down there for a conference and their facilities were very good. There were about 300 people at the conference and from what I could see it was handled very well.

The only problems I had with this resort was the price (especially the restaurants), and some noise. You could easily spend $75-100 for a dinner. Food was good, but in my opinion very pricey. Per an earlier comment, there is nightly entertainment that runs until 10 PM. With the open lobby you can hear the music in your room. Again, it ended at 10 PM so it wasn't that big of an issue for me (most times I was down in the lobby listening to it), but I can see where it could pose a problem if you are an early retire.

Overall, a very nice stay and I would go back in the future.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Alaska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

I really did enjoy my stay at Casa Magna, but for two reasons alone I probably won't go back, and those two items are reflected in 2 dings in the rating. That's the bad news. Here's the good news.... Besides being an elegant hotel in structure and decoration, which was pretty much eye candy for me, the people who work there were simply fantastic, helpful beyond expectation, and really made the comfort level at this hotel remarkable. The elegant and massive columns and architecture were nothing short of amazing.

Upon check in, Rafael was able to upgrade my room for $30 a night to an exquisite ocean view room. Well worth it ! The location is quintessential Cancun, on the white sandy beach. For me watching the pelicans and frigate birds soaring overhead was fascinating. I'm a sucker for pelicans anyway.

The pool area is quite large with a large almost-hot hot tub that seemed to have too many kids in it. They made it noisier than the margarita-tipping tubbers who were already loud and somewhat boisterous. For the kids there is a kiddy pool, and I'd sure appreciate it if they went there to play instead of the almost-hot hot tub.

While the room was about like any major hotel brand room, the bed was wonderful, I mean "suck you in and give you a really good night" kind of wonderful. Truly, it was the very best hotel bed I've ever had the pleasure to catch zzzzzs in.

The breakfast buffet was fantastic with so many varieties of food - Mexican, American, and Japanese - from which to choose. And some of the items changed from one day to the next, providing a festive array of taste adventures. It was a seriously good buffet, and the best part is it was included in my room rate.

During my stay I only had one serious issue with Casa Magna - the noise. Every night there was some lady in the lobby singing, and the volume was set to "blast your eardrums out." I was on the 4th floor, and it's an open lobby up to the 4th floor, so the "music" was so loud that it would have been difficult to hear the tv in your room while that woman was belting out her songs. OK, she wasn't belting out, not like Thelma Houston, but if it was so loud in my room, I wondered how the people who had to work or talk in the lobby could stand those piercing decibels night after night. I wished I had a decibel tester in my room. Seriously, workplace law at home would have made illegal the sound level that I heard in my room, let alone how loud it must have been in the lobby, without hearing protection. I am NOT exaggerating.

The good news is the catterwalling stopped at 10pm nightly. The really bad news is my last night there there was a wedding party on the patio below my balcony that had a DJ who also believed that volume was the elixir of life, and he cranked up their music until I wanted to run away. The REALLY REALLY bad news is the singing Thelma Houston wanna-be in the lobby was belting it out from inside the hotel at the same time as the wedding party was belting it out from the outside, so HUGE noise was coming into the room from both inside and outside. Even earplugs weren't enough. My new Bose QC15s weren't enough. I particularly wasn't enjoying this double whammy because I had to get up at 3am to catch a 7am flight...

The volume of whomever is singing in the lobby should be set so those in the lobby can enjoy the music, not rooms 2 floors away. I'm seriously wondering what a high class hotel like the Casa Magna could be thinking to have the music volume up so high. Truly, it made no sense and so noise earned one ding in my rating.

I should have dinged them 2 points for the 3 hour nightly aggravation, but am feeling generous now that I'm home and thinking of the beach, the pelicans, and the excellent onion soup. That might sound odd, the soup thing, but I got really sick during my stay, and the onion soup not only tasted good, but it felt good on my very raw and sore throat.

I was partly happy to be sick because my appetitie flew to Veracruz or Oaxaca or somewhere else, and outside of soup I didn't feel like eating. This was a good thing because the food here was frustratingly expensive, and I saved a bunch of money by only eating onion soup for 2 days. That onion soup that I loved was the cheapest item on the menu at $110 pesos which equates to $9.

Early in my stay I went across the street to McDonalds and got a meal that more than filled me up for $5.40. I'm not saying McD's is to be compared to the food at Casa Magna, but I'm saying that I live in Alaska so I know about expensive food, and options at Casa Magna cost more than I would have paid at the nicest hotel in Alaska. Inordinately high food prices without a mid-range priced venue earns the 2nd ding in the rating. Even the cheap food at Casa Magna was way overpriced.

Still, I did enjoy my stay. The people working at Casa Magna were so kind and generous. Aside from the food prices and the noise (which I hope they'll fix) this is an elegant and beautiful hotel. The beds are marvelous !

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to an ocean view room. Mine cost $30 per night and was fantastic.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank nafanua
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. We are already giving the proper follow up to all your comments. Even if we have received really positive comments about the music we play in our Lobby Bar, we will make sure it keeps being pleasant and does not disturb other guests. Regarding the music coming from private events in any of our outdoor areas, it cannot go on after 10PM, and we always make sure this policy is observed to prevent the music from disturbing our guests’ resting time.
Naas, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

I spent a week at the CasaMagna Marriot for a conference. The public areas are a bit old fashioned and pompous, and not the charming kind, but the facilities and the pool and beach area are very good.
The rooms are small and very, VERY dated. Still, they are very clean and the beds comfortable.
All the staff was pleasant, friendly and helpful. Everything runs on Mexico time, which is ok in most cases, but not if you're working...many times we had to gobble our lunch to make it back to work on time!
The food in the various restaurants was excellent except for Sasi Thai with which I wasn't impressed. It was certainly expensive for Mexico bit not excessively priced if you consider the type of resort ( and the advantageous exchange rate coming from the Euro zone!)
It wouldn't be a place I'd go back on holidays but for a conference I thought it was pretty good.

• Stayed February 2012