Mayan Hostel Cancun
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
Rivemar(Cancun)
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 November 2016

I was at Mayan Hostel with my boyfriend in October. We were in a private room with all facilities (bathroom&shower, aircon, fan, wifi...). We used the kitchen a lot; they had pots and pans, a communal fridge and filter water to use. The hostel has the best location 5 minutes walking from the main bus station. Also, buses to the "Zona hotelera" run 24/7 from near by. Staff was really friendly and knowledgeable: we did 2 tours with them and they even booked us our taxi to the airport at half the price that they were asking us on the streets!

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
mike y, Owner at Mayan Hostel Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2017

You are lucky you didn't have a run in with Gustavo, some staff members are TOO friendly and have been accused of sexually assaulting drunk female guests who travel alone.

Reviewed 15 October 2016 via mobile

I have stayed here many times & it's exactly what you'd expect for the price! My son loved it here...nothing fancy, but he would sit with the (old) owner & play video games all day! If you're on a backpacker's budget, it's perfect! It's 1 block from the main ADO bus terminal in CanCun, so if you're bussing it, this is the perfect spot! Friendly staff, clean accomodations & close to everything! It's around $8usd for a dorm room with ceiling fans...can't beat the price! It's a cheap, backpacker's hostel...if you just need a safe place to keep your stuff & crash for a night or two...this is it!

Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo

This is Mike, the owner you mentioned. Please do not return to this hostel as the new management actually stole the business. Tell your son I said what's up

Reviewed 1 June 2016 via mobile

My boyfriend and I was staying at the hostel in their 10 person dorm yesterday and it was AWFUL. We knew we booked a cheap hostel, but this hostel was the most dirty place we've ever been too. There was dirt and insects everywhere, the tabs was without water, the toilet had flush problems, there was no soap, everything/everywhere had this moldy smell and the beds was horrible (most of them even covered in plastic, so you could sleep in your own sweat!). The staff was friendly, but you got the feeling that they didn't bother about their hostel.
Do not use this hostel.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple

FINALLY A REAL REVIEW newsflash people the beds are covered in plastic because they have bedbugs. Check yourselves for bites please. I'd like to offer anybody who experience this a full refund. Please call Mike or Rosy at 998 884 6168 and we will refund your money.

Reviewed 8 February 2016 via mobile

I have stayed many places in Cancun, I see a lot of reviews that are poor... apparently people have not really traveled or stayed in a truly awful place ...

Yep there is a musty smell, we are in the tropics so this makes sense, the bed had clean sheets, not the most comfortable bed in the world but have slept worse.

The room is clean I got a Private room as it was reasonably priced in a great location.

Coffee in the morning ... disappointed over the powdered creamer and no milk ... but free so can't complain. .. they offer free breakfast as well.

Most the staff were friendly that met and seems they were busy taking care of people so that a good thing.

The puppy's around were cool and the other guest seem to be enjoying them self and they were friendly.

All in all a great stay... could not be bothered there are no screens but there is AC (Not that I would ever use it AC is for wimps and for the weak)

So if you are sensitive and expect the Hilton then that is where you should stay, but if your looking for a "Safe" reasonably priced stay, a but rough as it seems more like a club house here with a unique structure anyone staying here can expect it not to be perfect .... but then I think people cry to much.

Happy travels guys ... will add some photos later ... enjoy. ..

Inditravelguy .com

Stayed: February 2016, travelled solo
MayanHostel_11, Owner at Mayan Hostel Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2016

I apologize this is a fake review. This was not a customer it was the manager. He was writing fake reviews and I caught him stealing from the guests rooms. His name is Alejandro and he promised me he would stop stealing from guests so when you see Alejandro don't worry he is not stealing anymore. Also Gustavo never got accused of anything sexual. It was a big misunderstanding sometimes the guests drink so much they don't remember so good. Always drink responsibly in Mexico.

Reviewed 3 January 2016 via mobile

We only had one night in Cancun so decided to stay here! It was good for just the night. We stayed in a private room.
The location is fantastic!!! So close to the night markets and lots of food places!
The bathroom was dirty and stank really bad. The toilet had some flushing problems.
Staff seemed disinterested and put off when approached.
The breakfast was awesome.
It's just expensive for what it is esp with the bathroom the way it is

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wachell

I apologize for the bedbugs, we try to put plastic on the mattress because we don't want to spend money to clean them properly. I'd like to offer anybody who experience this a full refund. Please call Mike or Rosy at 998 884 6168 and we will refund your money