“Be careful choosing tours”
Review of Long Chichen Tour

Long Chichen Tour
Ranked #14 of 16 things to do in Chichen Itza
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

We took the full day tour to see Chichen Itza, leaving from Isla Mujeres. We ended up in various souvenir traps spending 3/4 of the tours fending off people who were selling "artifacts" at ridiculous prices.
Chichen Itza is fantastic and everything you need is there - restaurants, guides, shops. There is no need to stop anywhere on the way for bad buffé food.
So our advice is: if you want to see the magnificent site of Chichen Itza - get a transportation there and skip the full day tours. They waste your time.

4  Thank Mixmator
There are newer reviews for Long Chichen Tour

Reviewed 8 January 2014

I recommend the private tour of Chichen Itza through Mayans' Explorers. I arranged the trip before arriving in Cancun and all email correspondence was prompt. One is asked to pay a deposit through PayPal, and the balance in cash on the day of the trip. I opted to pay in full through PayPal before the trip, with an additional 5% added to cover the fee PayPal charges the vendor. We were picked up promptly at our hotel by Luis, our guide, and the driver of the van. The van was clean and comfortable enough but not luxurious. We were offered bottled water and cookies. The driver was careful and conservative on the road. We arrived early to Chichen Itza and had an amazing 3 hour tour before the heat and the increasing number of tourists arrived. Luis seemed to be very knowledgeable and carried books to show us pictures to supplement his talks. Next we were taken to swim in the Ik Kil cenote which was an amazing experience to swim in a sinkhole 150 feet deep. The buffet lunch served at Ik Kil was average. It was disappointing not to be able to climb the structures at Chichen, but this was compensated by visiting the smaller ruins of Ek Balam toward the end of the day. Here, we were able to climb the structures and scale the largest pyramid, the Acropolis, with its steep stairs and preserved stucco façade. The view from the top was breathtaking. We opted to skip the tour of Valladolid because it was getting late. The advantages of taking the private tour were no long bus ride to pick up other tourists at their hotels, arriving early at Chichen Itza, and the flexibility to spend more time in each place (we got to swim in the cenote as long as we wanted). It was expensive, but I highly recommend a tour through Mayans' Explorers.

4  Thank Odyssey_167
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We went to chichen itza with a company called Attraction world,booked through thompson .The trip was called chichen itza classic,but it wasnt,the minibus was small even though it was supposed to be a luxury sixteen seater.The seats have had too many people on them over the years and at the rear of the bus have sagged so we were nearly sitting on their framework,the guide talked incessantly,and after an hour or two gets very wearing We arrived at chichen itza ready to see the sights,which was the reason we went,when four of our party went to have breakfast leaving the other twelve to kick our heels in a hotel lobby for half an hour or more.Iwould recommend chichen itza,its a wonderful sight but please book your trip in the resort as the buses are of a vastly better grade than this company provides

2  Thank kdpl
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Allow me to begin by saying the other review listed here is not talking about the correct tour. The stops mentioned are not a part of this tour and the information has been accidentally posted in the wrong location. Please disregard it (as it should be removed by TripAdvisor.)

Our tour with Manny passed the test: I would recommend his services to family and friends with complete confidence.

My husband and I were hesitant to spend the money for a private tour with Cancun with Me since there were just two of us. So I contacted Manny via his website months before travel to see if he had other options available. At that time he was just getting this new service running. In addition to his highly-recommended private tours, he now runs this “public” tour as well (though I think “semi-private” would be more fitting). This “Long Chichen Tour” allows couples or families to enjoy pre-scheduled itineraries featuring some of the most popular stops. The per-person cost of $189 covers a boxed breakfast, transportation, tolls, all admissions (to Chichen Itza, two cenotes, the Balam Kanche caves, and Ek Balam), lunch, guides at Chichen Itza and Ek Balam, and the invaluable assistance of a personal host for the day. (More details about this tour can be accessed directly at longchichentour.com or via the Cancun with Me website.) The maximum number of people per tour is twelve, so even if a tour is full, it still definitely beats being herded with a busload of nameless strangers. We passed many of those tours along our way—sympathizing as people crowded around a single guide, straining to hear and see, waited in the heat at the exits for all of their group to arrive at the designated meeting place, and loaded onto a giant bus shamelessly plastered with advertisements—and were SO happy to have chosen to go with Manny.

Though we booked the group tour, we ended up being the only couple that day and got to reap the benefits of a flexible schedule and having Manny’s conversation and knowledge about the area all to ourselves. Manny's choice not to cancel the tour speaks to his integrity. Many of the costs (guides, tolls, parking, gas) were the same amount for two people as they would for a full van. And had we booked a private tour, we would have paid considerably more for the same experience. Yet despite all of this, Manny ran our tour as scheduled at the agreed upon price. With minimized profits, I think most companies would have canceled (and many I researched had a clause on their website that tours will not run without a certain number.) The fact that Manny honored our reservation is a testament to how he runs his business and treats his patrons.

Here are the details of our day: We were picked up early and on time in a clean, air-conditioned van and greeted enthusiastically by both Manny and our driver, Sergio. Once in the van, Manny left his shotgun seat to come back and sit with us, where he shared the details of our day and answered all of the questions we had about Cancun, our destinations, Mexican life and culture, and more. We literally talked the entire 2-hour ride, making it seem so short, and arrived at Chichen Itza just after it opened, beating the heat and the crowds. I didn’t fully appreciate this until we were leaving and the field around the pyramid was crowded with people, disallowing for the great, unobstructed pictures we had gotten two hours prior. Also, the entrance was jammed with long lines of people buying tickets, and the drive leading in was backed up with bus after bus just waiting to get into the lot. Manny saved us a lot of time and ensured us a more pleasant experience by getting us there early. Our guide at Chichen Itza, Julian, was himself Mayan and incredibly knowledgeable (with 28 years of experience as a guide.) The stops at the cenotes were memorable and refreshing, and the lunch in the lovely city of Valladoid offered some great new flavors and opportunities to try things I would have never known to order myself. Ek Balam was a great stop, and we liked how we could climb, touch, and walk among the ruins, unlike at Chichen Itza. The climb to the top was a trip worth making. So, all of the stops on this tour are all worthwhile and arranged intentionally in an order that makes for an enjoyable day. (To ensure you can focus on the activities rather than being distracted by hunger, I’d suggest packing a little snack to have midmorning.)

Thanks to Manny, our day was 100% stress free. Manny knew exactly where to go, took care of purchasing tickets, watched our belongings for us when we swam in the cenotes, and acted as our personal photographer all day long (leaving us with a flashdrive of nearly 200 photos)! And I would be remiss to fail to mention the attention to detail that made our day so memorable. The communication and planning between Manny and Sergio was perfection; our driver was ready to roll with the van already cooled off directly outside every exit just as we walked out. Also, my husband had asked Manny early in the day what the best Mexican beers were. Manny had given him the name of his favorite, and when we got to the van after our final stop, there was a cooler waiting with some for him to try. Also, upon opening the van door at our final stop, our driver greeted me a with a birthday cupcake, complete with candles. Finally, we spent the drive home watching a slideshow of the day’s activities on Manny’s laptop.

Do not hesitate to book this tour...or if you have a group, consider a private tour with Cancun with Me. It’s a great experience!

13  Thank srs22
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Full day tour experience of mine was not good. I noticed that these full day tours in Mexico wasted a lot of my time while stopping at different places where they try to sell local stuff. Our day tour for Chichen Itza started at 6am, they took us first to a cave, which was pretty cool. After that, it was a stop over at a place where someone was selling us local alcohol, then stop over for 2 hours at a place where they tried to sell local jewellery at a ridiculously high price, then lunch for an hour and then finally we reached the main attraction. Once we were done, they wasted another hour while selling alcohol in the bus. I would recommend you to drive there and then take an audio guide if possible. As far as the attraction itself goes, I personally preferred Teotihuacan over Chichen Itza.

4  Thank zeeshan f