“Lovely First Trip to Mexico”
Review of Iberostar Cozumel

Iberostar Cozumel
Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 16 October 2017

This was my first trip to Mexico and I was very pleased. The room was cute and clean, with everything in working order. The grounds are just beautiful - we saw a small pig on our first evening there, along with the flamingos, turtles, peafowl, iguanas, and cats. That might have been my favorite part.

The one thing I want to highlight was the service. We paid for a pirate ship excursion when we made our reservations, and went to book it, but Tropical Storm Nate was headed directly for the island, so that was a no-go. We'd been planning on that for my birthday dinner. We then tried to make reservations at a restaurant for my birthday, but were told everything was booked. I was very disappointed. At dinner later that night we were given a paper to fill out for a review, and when I went to return it, I politely asked if I had a problem, to whom do I speak? The lady went and got the manager right away and I explained to him what happened and he said no problem, where do you want to eat and what time, and he'd make sure it happened. Then he sent the sommalier over to have me pick out wine for the dinner. We tried to get steakhouse reservations but the storm required them to move everything around so we ended up at the Tex-Mex place and I had a lovely time. I felt very special and well taken care of. When I went back to book the pirate ship dinner, I was told the boat would not be returning to the resort for the duration of our stay, and then they helped me pick out another excursion and transferred the credit over. We chose the 3 reef snorkeling and that was GLORIOUS. I'm so glad everything worked out the way it did.

Overall, the service was amazing. Every person was incredibly attentive and eager to be helpful and nice. American servers could take a lesson or two from these guys.

The beach was difficult because of the mosquitos and sand fleas, but there are plenty of other beaches to go to that are a short taxi ride away.

Lots of reviews say the food was "sweating" and allege that the food is not kept warm or cold, but I want to dispute that. Of course the food is sweating! It's incredibly humid there and it's an open-air restaurant! It doesn't make the food taste any worse or make it less safe to eat. It is kept under heat lamps and kept on ice as necessary.

Our last night there we happened to catch the entertainment and it cracked me up. They did a sort of newlyweds game sort of thing and the entertainers were amazing. Great comedic timing, great charisma, all around very well done.

All in all, it's not a 5-star resort, but it's definitely upwards of a 4-star, and perhaps by Mexican standards, it's 5-star. We Americans are so used to such rigid rules governing the hospitality industry that when we see something that would be considered poor quality in the US, we assume it's poor quality in Mexico. Nothing was *perfect* but everything was wonderful, and I'm incredibly happy with this resort for my first time in Mexico.

Room Tip: I thought I'd need an ocean-view room, but it was absolutely not necessary. Any room will be jus...
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Beth P
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2017

Dear guest,

We are grateful that you choose IBEROSTAR Cozumel for your first trip to Mexico and also for celebrating your birthday with us. Congratulations once again!

It is gratifying to read that you had a fantastic stay due to the beautiful grounds, our gastronomy and above all, the friendliness and service of our staff. Comments like yours are the best reward for us because our main aim is our guests’ satisfaction.

Thank you so much for your nice review, we are so happy to know that you had a wonderful stay and that on your dinner birthday you felt very special and well taken care.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Warm regards,

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Write a ReviewReviews (5,066)

Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

We had a good vacation overall however after visiting other resorts this one was our least favorite

Cons-
Toilet - you couldn't flush tp (?) our toilet was clogged daily

Reservations to dinner- you had to make reservations for dinner (the good food) and you only get 2 for the entire week !?!? There are 3 restaurants so you can’t even try them all. While at dinner there were only 5 out of 17 tables eating so this made no sense.

No Shuttle to airport or town/excursion - no shuttles to and from airport, or excursions or to town. A resort should at least give you options

Night life - I'm not one to party hard but this place overall shuts down at 7pm. No shows/ music, nightlife nothing! It seemed the resort is lights out and dead after dinner

Pool closes 7pm so no chance of night swims after you eat.

Rocky beach- bring beach shoes I repeat bring water shoes!!! The beach is so rocky that it's hard to access even with shoes.

Service- no beach pool service- we had to get our own drinks each time. Again compared to other resorts just not use to this

No tv stations English- not that we're in our rooms often but I enjoy watching tv at night. Especially since we had to go back to the room after dinner. No stations In English

Rooms small and often had bugs

Restaurant and common areas not ac- super hot eating dinner and relaxing.

Says free kayaks paddle boards (none here) and snorkel equip. You actually have to pay a fee

Had to purchase sunscreen. It's a racket. 24$ for sunscreen. Come on

Towels. You can't use poool towels unless u give them your room key. Guess they don't trust guests

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank Kristin K

Dear guest,

Thank you for your visit us and for taking the time to share your experience about your vacation at our resort.

We regret that we did not fulfill your expectations with some of our services, we assure you that your constructive review will be taken into consideration as it helps us to continue improving. Regarding our restaurants, the number of dinner reservations depend on the length of your stay, our guests may have one á la carte reservation for each three nights. We use this method so our visitors can have the opportunity to enjoy our cuisine and moreover to give you the personalized service that you deserve. Furthermore, we have our buffet that each night of the week has a different theme.

In regards to our night activities, every night we have a live show at our theatre, as well as our late night snacks restaurant bar. If we have the pleasure to welcome you back, our concierges can gladly assist you and provide you this information.

Likewise we are sorry to hear that you could not enjoy our hotel beach. We are located near the second largest reef in the world and also inside a National Park. As it is a natural protected area we cannot change in any way the entrance to the ocean. However, the pier eases this entrance so our guests can snorkel and marvel with the wonderful marine life we have. Also, our guests have the privilege to use for free the kayaks and snorkel equipment depending on the availability, the fee that you mentioned is due to the marine park, since the hotel is in an ecological reserve.

Once again we thank you for your feedback and we apologize for the mishaps you encountered. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for your future vacations.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 14 October 2017

Different people look for different things in a resort. Some want to be in a giant hotel in a big city, for instance, or enjoy lots of parties and loud music all the time. We prefer to be in a quieter resort where we can relax and enjoy nature. This is our third Iberostar resort and it's my favorite one so far!

The overall resort is smaller than their mainland properties which was really nice. It lacks some of the special landscaping and animals found at the mainland resorts, but it more than makes up for it with the diving opportunities.

When we were there it was 80% occupied but it felt like a lot less. It is more relaxing and peaceful without all the nonstop pool parties and music of some other resorts.

The diving was excellent (Cozumel is well-known for that)! The Dressel Divers dive shack is on the beach and the boats leave from the dock right there, offering 4 dives a day for reasonable prices.

Being a smaller resort they only had three specialty restaurants. The food was good in all of them but we were turned off by the Mexican restaurant's "cantina" theme. We don't want to have lots of television screens showing things like music videos while we eat. Compared to the rest of the resort, it seemed very out of place.

All in all, though, we loved our time there and are looking forward to going back sometime soon!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Stuart R
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2017

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Cozumel to spend your vacation.

It is great to hear your nice comments about our beautiful facilities and our different environment.

Moreover, it is good to know that you enjoyed diving and that you liked our delicious gastronomy. Regarding our TexMex restaurant we regret to know that our concept was not of your preference.

Once again thank you for visiting us, it will be an honor to have another opportunity to welcome you in a near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 14 October 2017

Vacation was awesome! Rained the day we got there, had Tropical Storm Nate come though but other then that it was beautiful the while time. Room are good, small and everything you need nothing fancy. Rooms are being upgraded so there is construction on the resort. However, it never bothered me, hardly noticed it. The TV in my room only has 2 English channels but for the time you spend in them they were fine.

Food was good. Ive had better but Ive also has worse. The buffet had a different theme every night and there are only 3 restaurants; Tex Mex which is great. We has reservations at the steak house but they got cancelled due to the storm. Need ate at the other. Breakfast was great, can never go wrong. Lunch has different options also. The selection were small. We were there during off season so I think thats the restaurants weren't open all the time and the buffets were small.

Room Tip: A room by the pool will be loud. If you don't like stairs ask for 1st floor but keep the curtai...
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends

Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Cozumel for your 30th birthday celebration and also for sharing your nice review.

We are thrilled that we were able to provide you with a memorable stay where you enjoyed our accommodations, and delicious food and beverages.

We will make sure all the involved departments receive your kind words of encouragement, as well as your comments regarding the food selection. As you mention the day of the tropical storm we had to make some changes in the restaurant reservation to ensure our guests´ safety, however it is great to know that it did not affected your experience.

We hope to see you back soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

Me and my family went there for a day we was staying at paraíso lindo playa del Carmen and this one was included for a day , Very nice beach, you can swim with a lot of fish, the food was ok but not excellent,the pool small compared with the one at iberostar paraíso lindo , people very nice. We have a good time....

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Ana L

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Cozumel to spent your recent vacations.

Your kind words regarding our property, and especially our outstanding staff are very much appreciated.

We are happy to know your preference towards IBEROSTAR, and that you and your family had the opportunity to have a day pass at our hotel.

We really hope to welcoming you again.

Warm regards,