Rancho Universo Cozumel Horse Sanctuary Non-Profit Organization
Ranked #147 of 159 things to do in Cozumel
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Heal a Horse Cozumel Sanctuary is set in rural area on the way to the oriental side of the island, (the other side). Our mission is to improve animal welfare through education with this in mind we have provided several workshops and clinics with professional farriers, horse trainers, veterinarians. Your generous donations are very much appreciated, take a look at our webpage and donate today. There has been a huge improvement in the horse world. All the resident horses have been rescued from abuse, ill-treatment and abandonment. There are also other animals such as dogs and cats. Being rural there are lots of birds, butterflies, and other species. The horses at the sanctuary live free as a herd forming family and friendship bonds, heirarquies and all their natural traits. Horses are prey so they only defend themselves, they do not attack. It is a totally different empowering experience to walk around a herd of free range horses. Visits strictly by appointment please. See you soon
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Liliana has done a wonderful job with this ranch! The animals, the people, and the jungle atmosphere are all amazing. After visiting the ranch numerous times we became friends with the rescued horses, dogs, and cats. We return time and time again to see all our friends and we love bringing the animals a snack. Rancho Universo is an amazing place that will keep me coming back. Thanks Liliana!

1  Thank Tim R
Universalhorse, Manager at Rancho Universo Cozumel Horse Sanctuary Non-Profit Organization, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2016

Tim Thank you soo very much for your kind words it was a great to have you visit,always fun an educational.
Warm regards

Reviewed 30 June 2012

There is nothing I can say with words about this place
Liliana THANK YOU

This was a great experience and excellent oportunity for me.

You rock and I will visit my friend william soon
Jeremy Williams

3  Thank JeremyW888
Reviewed 12 April 2012

This ranch is a very special place. Whether you are on your own, with your family, loved one, or friends, it suits all. Liliana, owner and full-time worker at the ranch is a lovely lady, always happy to chat to you (in perfect English or Spanish!) about the horses or any of the other animals at the ranch, about what she does to help disabled children - giving therapeutic lessons to them with these horses which she has nurtured in a loving environment after most of them were abandoned - about Cozumel, or anything! I volunteered at the ranch for just under a year, and every minute spent there was anything but wasted. I would highly recommend going to the ranch, even if it is just to say hi to the animals - or if you fancy helping out Liliana by feeding, bathing or grooming any of horses! It is a very fun way to spend an afternoon, and something different which most tourists don't get to do whilst on Cozumel Island.

2  Thank Lisa C
Universalhorse, General Manager at Rancho Universo Cozumel Horse Sanctuary Non-Profit Organization, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2016

Dear Lisa, thank you so much for all your help during your internship, it was always a breath of fresh air having you around Warm regards and all the best!

Reviewed 17 February 2012

Hola!
I want to share with you what I found and how I felt during my stay in Rancho Universo.

Once we open the gate and enter the ranch, all you can see is horses, green jumgle, birds, wind, blue sky....nature, love♥
and all you have in your heart is happy, smile,
positive energy flow through your body.

friendly and lovely horses come and say "Good Morning!!"

and our day started.

we gave them grass, we clean their stable(good exercise with lots of sweat♪), and feed them delicious food^^

since all the horses are free and wild, they can go walkabout, socialize each other, so that you can learn how they creat their own group, what they do while they are free.

and of course play with us!!!!they all come and sniff to know who you are and you can take a walk with them, you can hold them, you can kiss them!!haha

Through my stay, I changed a lot.
I leanded how gentle horses are, how sensitive they are, they are prey animal and we are predator, how to respect, how to communicate with them, everything I learned were natural horsemanship.
To be friend with them.
NOT to control and get obedience from them!
just be like a horse and communicate with them.

They will teach you,
They will tell you
They make you relaxing therapy, away from noisy and busy city.
They will make you surprise, laugh, lots of laugh....

I spent Christmas, Happy New Year....with horses
I felt home.
I could be myself.
i did not have to pretend something(if I do this, they will sense..haha they are sooo smart)

It's been about a month since I left home,
I can't wait to fly to them and be with them....hulala~

If you like horse in a way that you respect them and want to learn from them Not from human, you should pack your bag and just go with respect!!!

If you don't know about them, you should go---!!!
because you need them, you need to spend your time with them at least once in your life.
I think that you do not believe what I am saying, but you will know it while spending time with them^^

If you like nature, tropical island, you also should go!!

They will wait for you in a magical place♥

5  Thank sol212

Travellers who viewed Rancho Universo Cozumel Horse Sanctuary Non-Profit Organization also viewed

Cozumel, Quintana Roo

Been to Rancho Universo Cozumel Horse Sanctuary Non-Profit Organization? Share your experiences!