“Disappointed 2nd stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Disappointed 2nd stay”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Have to agree with gatorcindy89 about the inattentive dining room staff. Seems when you wear an "all Inclusive" bracelet you get less attention than cruise shippers with a day pass. Although we tipped at every meal, everyday, we still had to call the waiters to get drink refills etc... I also asked for a beer in a bottle and was informed that I am only entitled to beer on tap because I AM ALL INCLUSIVE. In 25 visits to Cozumel we found the wait staff to be the least attentive we have ever experienced. We know the economy is hard on everyone so we tipped anyway. We have stayed at several AI resorts and found it annoying to be constantly asked for our "bracelet" number. After a couple of days... you would think the staff would know you and can clearly see you have your "bracelet". Perhaps even remember the number, since tracking our eating patterns seemed so crucial to the resort. There are surcharges for shrimp at dinner but not lunch. There are apparently different levels of AI... Just stayed after paying for a trial membership and was very disappointed to find that a 1 bedroom that is supposed to accomodate 4 has only one bathroom (Toilet) to share. We exchanged and stayed in the tower previously had a bathroom for each bedroom and the studio.

Early one morning, a blonde woman unlocked our room and opened the door and realizing her mistake shut the door and left. When we asked how someone else could have a key to our room, we were told that only the maid would have a key. They said the maid is not blonde and it could not have happened. The door lock was checked before we went to bed. We do not plan to stay there again.

On a positive note. The maid was sweet and we left a tip daily and got a cute towel character every day.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Darius d
Salavatore, Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Hola señores, we are very sorry about this, we will make sure our waiting staff makes a better job, I have to say that our resort got 100% full those weeks and that might be the reason why, however, we will make sure next time our staff would give you faster assistance, and about the person who got into the room, we are very sorry about it, I’m sure it was another guest who got confused in the room, the electronical lock might had a failure, we will make sure it won`t happen again, I hope we see you again soon and we will make sure you have a more pleasant staying next time, i`m sure if you come back you will feel better and you will have a better point of view for us, Hasta pronto.

general manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Hebrew first
Houston, TX
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Sorry to be so late in writing a review of El Cid. My daughter and I stayed there the week between Christmas and New Years and fell in love with this hotel. We visit Cozumel 4 times each year and have tried various living arrangements--private beach homes, all-inclusive hotels, not-all-inclusive hotels, etc. I have to say (especially reading one particular negative review below) that El Cid has been our favorite place to stay on the island! We are divers, so we don't need a lot of entertainment. We get up early to dive and are ready for bed pretty early in the evening--usually worn out from the diving. We stayed in a one bedroom suite over Christmas week and thought it was fantastic and HUGE! People say the tower is newer and better, but I'm pretty picky and loved the older side. The food was very good too. We were all-inclusive, so I don't know how much it would cost to eat out, or buy groceries and eat in or eat sometimes in the restaurant. We thought the staff was very good too. They work hard to make sure you enjoy your vacation. Can't wait until spring break--2 weeks--before we return! Thanks El Cid!

Room Tip: We did not stay in the tower and had a fantastic one bedroom suite. Easy in and out.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank sherry1754
Thank you very much for your comments, we will be waiting for you, I’m glad you enjoy our services and I’m also glad you enjoy our all inclusive plan, many people say it`s really good, I’m glad you are one of them, come back soon so you can go and enjoy again our unique reef areas, our dive shop will be ready for you, hasta luego familia cid .

ganeral manger
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I just had an 8 day stay at El Cid La Ceiba Hotel in Cozumel, Mexico. It was the worst hotel experience I have had in a long while. I do not recommend this hotel! The Maid entered the room on the first day we were there (well the day after check in - first day she should have cleaned) while my fiancée was in the tub. The manager thinks mistakenly we had asked to have our room cleaned at a certain time before the maid inappropriately entered the room while we were there WITHOUT KNOCKING or any announcement. When this inappropriate entry occurred my fiancé tried to politely ask her to leave three times, when the maid did not seem to understand my fiancée said “leave.” Since my fiancée was in the bathroom and never came out it would be impossible for her to shove the maid out of the room (she had no clothes and only a towel – so trust me, she would not have come out to shove the maid). We did not even discuss a particular time to clean the room with your staff until after your maid entered our room - without an announcement even letting us know she was there. Actually we complained and when she entered on the second day (the day after she was told to leave) the DO NOT DISTURB SIGN was clearly on the door. We are VIP platinum with Wyndham and this hotel is far below standards of Wyndham Resorts. Wyndham has been notified of this deplorable service and basic lies from this facility.
You must make it clear you are not interested in the timeshare tour or you will get harassed by the staff repeatedly (our friends staying here at the same time had this happen). Our friends are posting a review too. It will be up soon.

The air conditioner barely works and we had a power outage on more than one night and the AC never recovered. The hot tub never worked and the two computers in the lobby stayed broken all week in addition the printer never worked.
There is no guest laundry as Wyndham lists so beware and do not expect them to tell you where there is one. Why don’t you have a washer and dryer for guest use? You want to exploit your guests with laundry charges plus a 50% service charge is that the reason?
The gym they advertise consists of a run-down treadmill and an elliptical trainer that is not working.
We are divers but did not use the dive shop due to the fact it is geared to resort divers that are inexperienced and the shop only has aluminum 80’s and dives are limited to 30 minutes regardless of your air consumption. If you want an outstanding dive operation go to Google and search living underwater and Jeremy Anschel.

There is a difference in their conducting business from other hotels here at EL CID –beware. I have stayed in many hotels even overseas and the incidental charges can simply be left on the card on file. They swipe your credit card as on check-in for incidentals. So at check out my fiancée simply told the inept clerk to leave the incidentals on the card on file. The girl did not understand due to her limited English and thought we were trying to leave without paying. Really? Please. We are VIP Platinum and you had both our credit numbers on file as well as our address and copies of our passports. Get real folks. We are going to risk all that for a charge of less than $50.00 US dollars. We were in a hurry to make our flight and simply said leave it on the card. If they cannot do this why even take the deposit on the card for incidentals? The amount we are discussing is the minimal room occupancy tax because the majority of our bill was covered through our timeshare points. It would help if they had people who understood English at their front desk. The staff moves so slow in processing everything that we almost had to postpone our flight. I am contesting a charge on my credit card because two charges are appearing on our card for the same service – you did bill me twice. Beware folks they will do this to you too! They had the nerve to say I was trying to leave without paying! You are worse than the people who bribe tourists for more money – it is why we will be going somewhere else from now on and recommend everyone else do the same! Read the reviews for this hotel and read all the way through them see the other people that ranked them below average and look at the pictures of mold in the shower, scum, and exposed pipes they are all VERY accurate!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Smiley1952
Briarcliff Manor, New York
Reviewed 25 February 2012

El Cid La Ceiba Beach in Cozumel is first off NOT A REAL BEACH, but a MAN MADE beach. It sits right on the Gulf of Mexico, about 100 yards away from the International Cruise Ship Piers, so you may see up to 4 cruise ships each day that will BLOCK your view and the sunset.

We stayed in a Two Bedroom Suite through an RCI Exchange, which we preferred to our other timeshare (Sunrise Beach Villas: Paradise Island, Bahamas). Our room (1430) was actually three separate rooms connected by a small hallway (#s 1433, 1432, 1431). We had two bedrooms, one with two double beds, one with a king bed. This worked out very well for my family because the kids slept in one bedroom while my wife and I slept in the other bedroom. The third room was a living room with a dinner table, microwave, and two burners (which I would not recommend using). The accommodations were great and spacious as each morning the maid service would leave the room spotless and make various creations with the fresh towels they brought to the room. Great view of ocean. Grade: 92

We decided to try the Elite All-Inclusive for 3 nights (you must do the plan for at least 3 nights, and beware in order to receive lobster for 1 NIGHT you must have the plan for at least 5 DAYS). It was $75/adult, and $37.50/kid, special rates courtesy of Marco at the concierge because of RCI. Onsite, there is one main restaurant La Chopa, and a smaller trattoria, which is only open from Sunday to Thursday, it serves brick oven pizza. Breakfast at La Chopa was a buffet or a menu which we discovered on the last day of our trip because the waiter never tells you about it. Regarding the waiters, they are FABULOUS and are the kindest people in Mexico. Our kids loved them! Lunch was the best meal at La Chopa, the quesadillas were to die for. Dinner was average, and the service was poor, and my wife was not a huge fan of the restaurant. We ended up saving a lot of money on the All Inclusive because it included an hour of free snorkeling each day, a great benefit for my family of avid snorkelers. Grade: 86

The only problem was this resort were the activities, which were very limited. Other than the small pool and man made beach, the only other activities were excursions booked through the concierge over "Pronatours". I took my older son to the Fly High park and we weren't impressed. Clean, but boring and the zip lines were not exhilarating. Very good place for diving though. Grade: 78

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at La Ceiba. It's very close to town and we recommend eating at Guidos, an italian place. Beware, the concierge will only recommend three restaurants in town, all "Missions". We really liked Marco at the concierge, he provided great assistance during our stay and would recommend you ask him any questions. A short taxi ride to town ($7 or 80 pesos). Good resort for relaxation, not good for teens or adults looking for more to do. We would recommend to friends, but are unsure if we would come back. If they added more activities we would be more than glad to come back.

Overall Grade: 80

Room Tip: Ask for room in tower, higher up preferably.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Rob K
Hola señores, we`re very glad you enjoyed our services here at el cid la ceiba Cozumel, we`re waiting for you very soon again, we will make sure you have a more pleasant staying next time, better than your last one, I would like to mention that we recommend some restaurants in particular that our own guests mention that are good and where they feel pleased, of course there are more options, we recommend many of them, I will make sure marco knows about your comments, we are working on more activities for our guests, we`re sure we will have more by the time you come back with your family, we are working also on improving all our services so everybody can have a better vacation time, thank you very much for choosing el cid la ceiba Cozumel, and we are waiting for you with open arms, siempre es un placer servirle.

general manager
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We just spent 7 nights at El Cid La Ceiba Hotel in Cozumel, Mexico. We picked this Hotel ONLY because we had left over time share points we had to use or loose. We are VIP platinum with Wyndham and were very disappointed in this facility. It is a zero on a Wyndham scale of 1-5 and a low end 2 star hotel on a good day. The staff is rude and have no respect for their guests and I later discovered that this stems from the manager who is a poor hotel customer service employee. We filed our complaint with Wyndham already it is really a black mark that they are associated with this hotel.
We made our reservations more than 6 months ahead and requested through Wyndham, and in writing, also through a follow up phone call a room in the new part in the tower facing the ocean on an upper floor. When we arrived they did not have our room request available and put us on the first floor. It was facing the ocean. It turned out even though it was not what I wanted we got internet from the room and most of the upper rooms do not. In case you are wondering rooms 1100, 1101, 1102, and 1103 are a good bet for internet access.
They want you to sit down with their time share rep which is disguised by “a welcome packet and directions” song and dance. The welcome drinks were a nice touch. I made it clear we were not doing their presentation and not talking to anyone do not even start – he realized I was serious and backed off right away.
We got in our room and discovered it was an older hotel even in the “new” section. There is no carpet and barely two thin rugs. Some of the pipes show in the rooms and the room was dirty. The sliding glass door was difficult to close and lock. The air conditioner could not effectively cool the room even in February so I would be real cautious about staying here in the summer.
The next day the maid came in unannounced while I was in the shower. I got out thought someone was in the room and said “you need to leave now”. She obviously did not get it and I cracked the door and said I need my clothes leave please. Still confused she says basically ok get them – I then said “Get out leave” she finally got it. This occurred again on day 2 even after complaining to the staff and using the do not disturb sign. Be Aware the staff of this hotels has no boundaries!
The hot tub was never on and never hot – I could get the bath water hotter. The two computers in the lobby stayed broken all week and were never fixed – the printer never worked.
Wyndham clearly lists a guest laundry mat is available on their but they do not have one and refused to give me directions to a laundry mat simply said there is not one. They instead wanted to promote their over-priced guest dry cleaning service with a 50% up charge. Ridiculous! Would it kill you to have a washer and dryer for guest use?
The workout room is run down and has one treadmill that is poor quality and a broken elliptical trainer and that is about it.
The last night we had almost no air conditioning at all as they had a power outage that kept all power out for over half an hour and then the Air conditioner could not get the room cool.
We are divers but did not use the dive shop due to the fact it is geared to resort divers who log one or two dives a year. They leave late only have aluminum 80’s and dives are limited to 30 minutes regardless of your air consumption. If you want an outstanding dive operation see my review for living underwater and Jeremy Anschel.

They swipe your credit card as is standard on check-in but they will not simply leave the charges on this card you have to give them a card again at check out. It would help if they had people who could speak a little English at the desk. The staff was slow in doing this that we almost missed our flight. I do not understand what the point of the check in swipe is if they make you run it again. We are in fact contesting a charge because two charges are appearing on our card for the same service. In all of this confusion and a bad week of service William was an employee that did stand out. He was the only employee the whole week that was friendly, kind, nice and polite and bent over backwards to help us even knowing he was in a rundown mess. My suggestion is to promote William to manager and maybe the hotel would improve a great deal.
If you are paying for a hotel look elsewhere you can get a better deal on a hotel that is much nicer! If you have extra Wyndham or RCI points and do not mind roughing it for a week (and after staying in Wyndham resorts – it will be roughing it) then you could stay here for a few days. If you have a choice stay elsewhere.

Please read my other reviews. I do not complain normally and the service must be pretty bad for me to write a review like this one. The manager will probably try to defend his staff and his behavior but there is simply no excuse for his performance and that of his staff. I will not be able to respond to him if he writes in but know – his staff failed miserably!

Room Tip: First floor in new section ocean front rooms 1100, 1101, 1102, 1103 only rooms with in room internet...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank gatorcindy89
Salavatore, Manager at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Dear Madam,

It is very sad for me to read this kind of review, especially when the entire Staff at El Cid la Ceiba as well as myself have never treated guests with anything but respect, kindness and professionalism.

Our House Keeping Staff had a request from you to clean your room every day at a certain hour, so we tried to honor that request only to have our housekeeper yelled at and pushed out of the room.
You treated my staff unkindly, screaming at everybody and making your discomfort over imagined slights very vocally known. Our Hotel will not tolerate mistreating of any person on the staff and we invite you to read through past reviews so you can see that everyone here at El Cid treats our guests with warmth, kindness and are very professional.
We are just sorry that your experience with us was so unpleasant that you believed you could go away without payment, but hopefully sometime you'll come to realize that we are in fact a great Hotel with the greatest Staff.

Salvador Sánchez Meza