Ventanas al Mar
US$360
US$202
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
Villas Las Anclas(Cozumel)(Great Value!)
US$75
  • Pool
Beds Friends Hostel(Cozumel)(Great Value!)
US$32
US$23
  • Restaurant
US$277
US$246
Hotels.com
Casita de Maya(Cozumel)(Great Value!)
US$71
US$55
Hotels.com
Coral Reef Inn(Cozumel)(Great Value!)
US$55
US$344
US$240
Cancelon
Cozumel Palace(Cozumel)
US$521
US$471
All reviewsget away from it allwaves crashing on the rocksheart shaped poolhatching seasonruebenhuevos rancherosno electricitypatio doorsfacing the seabreakfasts were wonderfulcross breezewild ricehighly recommend renting a carair conditioningamazing locationwi ficold shower
Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

Rueben is our guy. Always a helpful friend. Any concerns should not be a problem. Rueben will take care of you!!!!!
Just our opinion after a few stays at ventanas.
The previous reviewer may well have his concerns but in our book Reuben is numero uno!!!!!!!

Stayed: March 2017
4  Thank randsintheus
Reviewed 7 July 2017

My wife and I have always wanted to stay at Ventanas as we have visited Cozumel for years. Ventanas was awesome. Spent 5 nights and did nothing but relax. Staff at hotel is awesome Miguel, Ruben, and everyone else did a great job with everything. Breakfast was included and was great. You can choose from a couple different items. We had dinner each night at the hotel also. This was not included in hotel price but really not expensive either. You also have a couple of choices for dinner, nothing fancy but really good food. Pool is very clean. Housekeeping does a great job, rooms are kept very clean. Highlight of trip was watching sea turtles come in to lay their eggs.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2017

The only reason I gave this place a 4 instead of 5, is that the dinners were a bit boring. They were fresh and good, but nothing great. We ate here all 4 nights of our stay and every night we got a scoop of bland rice, a small amount of sautéed vegetables and whichever protein (fish, steak or chicken) we chose. The chicken was a grilled thin boneless cutlet. Every thing was good- just not great. We would love to have had a more interesting menu. But the setting is absolutely perfect- and the staff is accommodating and friendly. Our family had 2 rooms (# 22 & 24) on the second floor which allowed for refreshing ocean breezes. The ceiling fan was quiet and kept us cool at night. We chose not to use air conditioning in our room, but our boys did and said it was wonderful. This place is not luxurious, but it is clean, comfortable, and has a nice laid back vibe- and a gorgeous setting. We even saw 2 sea turtles come up onto the beach one night to lay eggs.
Oh- and right next door (1 minute walk) is a bar/restaurant called Coconuts which makes excellent food -we had lunch there every day- and we went back for after-beach-drinks each evening. On the same bluff as our hotel, so great ocean views. Very casual- bare feet and t-shirt kind of place.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 30 June 2017

Important part is the 3rd paragraph, feel free to skip to that.

First of all, Miguel who runs the show at Ventanas, is amazing. Very friendly and went above and beyond several times. The hotel is situated on a beautiful beach which is almost private since there are very few buildings on the Atlantic side of the island. We couldn't swim due to the waves, but the freshwater pool was excellent.

With that said, the hotel is on the opposite side of the island from almost all the restaurants. It's about a 30 minute drive to get to town. We decided not to get a rental car because after reading up on the situation, the listed prices are dirt cheap, but then they tack on insurance that can be $50+/day. Additionally, they may claim damage was done to the car, even if it wasn't. If you have a flight to catch, this is not a situation I wanted to be dealing with. So, we planned on taking taxis. The taxi price from Ventanas to town was between 300 and 400 pesos, depending on how the driver felt that day. 250 to 300 in the other direction, since there are taxis all over the place trying to earn your business.

**READ THIS PART**: One night we made plans to go into town for dinner. A taxi was scheduled for 5:45pm. At 5:50, I asked when it would be arriving (I believe they communicate directly with the taxi driver because it was often the same guy) - I was told 5 minutes. At 6:05, an unmarked "taxi" pulls up and a young girl gets out and hands a plate of food to one of the employees. She gets back in the car, we hop in, and tell the driver where we were going. He recognizes the restaurant, saying he thought it was a good choice.

We continue on, and he's driving 120kph (75mph), weaving in and out of traffic. At one point, a registered taxi saw that my girlfriend and I were in the back of the car, looked annoyed and very deliberately cut off our car. I'd guess that he was within inches of the front of the car while he did this. The taxi industry is heavily controlled in Cozumel and he was clearly pissed that this guy was an unregistered taxi.

Ok, so we get into town and he pulls up in front of a random restaurant and we get out, not realizing yet that this wasn't the restaurant we asked to be taken to. He tells us to look at the menu. We realize that we are clearly not at the restaurant we asked to go to and he knows that. Now we're not feeling good about the situation. We're not in the touristy part of town, so no one is around. I tell him it's the wrong restaurant, and he tells us to look at the menu and see what we think. I repeat it's the wrong restaurant and we'd like to go to the right one, and finally he agrees to take us there.

We get to the right restaurant, and he literally follows us in. We sit down, order some drinks, and 5 minutes later, the server comes over to us and says that the guy asked him to tell him when we were done so he could pick us up. It appeared the server recognized something was not right, but we told him not to do that, he got it and walked away. When we were done and ready to go back to Ventanas, I asked the same guy to call for a taxi and clarified to call a registered taxi. From his reaction, it was clear that he understood what was going on and agreed that was the right move.

We got in the registered taxi, and got back safely to the hotel. All is well that ends well, but you should at least hear this story and decide for yourself whether you want to stay somewhere that facilitated this uncomfortable at best, but unsafe at worst, situation for their guests.

This last thing is just annoying and could happy anywhere, but still: a few hours later, at 1am, my girlfriend and I are awoken to yelling at the pool. After a bit, it was clear the yelling wasn't stopping anytime soon. I walked downstairs to ask them to be quiet and was surprised to see one of the hotel employees (cleaning staff) and her two friends sitting at the pool, clearly drunk. She didn't speak any English, nor I Spanish, so I mimed that the hotel was sleeping and to be quiet. This worked for the most part. The screaming stopped, but we could still hear them loudly talking, but we went back to sleep.

I emailed back and forth with the owner of the hotel about both these situations. He repeatedly denied that it was their employee who was drunk at the pool with her friends, which was annoying since we saw her everyday at the hotel. I suppose he took the taxi situation seriously however because we didn't see the employee who was handed the food by the girl in the unmarked taxi for the rest of our stay. He did apologize, but didn't give us any context about the situation, otherwise I would share it here.

Clearly our experience was a rare one at this hotel. As you can see, there are tons of 5 star reviews, and for that very reason, we decided to stay here. We of course did not expect for their own employees to make us feel unsafe.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Todd Z
Ventanas A, Propietario at Ventanas al Mar, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2017

Todd, I am very sorry for your insecurity feelings, seems it didn't let you enjoy the beauty, unique environment, and safety that Ventanas al Mar offers to our guests. About your fear feelings I am convinced the world is a reflection of our selves. I can do nothing about it, that's something very personal of yourself. About the first situation you mentioned this is what happened; one of our employees Ruben, whom most of our guest love his kindness and helpful took the wrong decision when the taxi driver he called before didn't arrive soon and looking you was very desperate, he asked his brother (who was taking him his dinner to the hotel) to take you to downtown so you don't have to wait anymore. That was an unacceptable and unlucky decision based on his will to help. About the second event as I mentioned to you all the times we communicate you before; any of our female employees were at the hotel that night, here is what happened, that night we had 4 local female guests from Playa del Carmen who were celebrating their birthday; when I talked to them they said they arrived late to the hotel and stayed at the pool area charting for a while until they went to their room. Very sorry you confused them with our employees. Thank you for your positive reviews and it will always be our pleasure to have you with us again. Manuel Ricardo Pech

Reviewed 11 June 2017

My husband and I just visited this hotel for the fourth time and amazingly each visit it gets better. We first visited a number of years ago because we loved the idea of the remoteness of the place, and we loved the hotel. The rooms and amenities have improved over the years, yet the hotel has managed so far to keep its quiet vibe. We really appreciate the room improvements (air conditioning is awesome) and the pool is lovely for a dip. Breakfast was better than ever and the WiFi is mostly reliable. The view from the hotel is just beautiful without development on the east coast of the island. And we still love the amazing nighttime view of the stars without light pollution, the sound of the crashing waves, and the peace and quiet. We hope that this wonderful spot stays unspoiled. We can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Some rooms have cross ventilation - less important with the aircon, but still nice
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple