“Fantastic stay!”

The Explorean Cozumel
Ranked #1 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 16 October 2017

My husband and I selected this resort based on it's small size and the fact it didn't look to be an overly "Westernized / big hotel building" resort. We weren't disappointed. We were truly impressed with the amazing and genuine hospitality and care shown by the staff of the Explorean! Miguel at the front desk was the first to greet us and ensured our needs or wants were met to allow us to have the enjoyable relaxing stay we wanted. Each day, we had to option to partake in activities that had been selected just for us and our interests. These included a tour of the island with tequila tasting, visiting Mayan ruins and a trip to the other side of the island and it's beautiful beaches. Other days trips included snorkeling to see the fantastic sea life. Each of our tours was led by Rocky who was both knowledgeable and entertaining. The restaurant at the Explorean was fantastic! We only ate one night at the Asian restaurant on the larger Fiesta Americana side and, although good, was nothing compared to the daily changing menu of local Mayan dishes at the Explorean restaurant. Head waiter Enrique and waiter Miguel were wonderful. Their service and attention to was fantastic! We enjoyed the option of a caffeine "pick me up" or a sweet treat from the coffee bar on the Fiesta side. Miranda, who worked the coffee bar there, was so sweet and had such a beautiful smile and personality. You couldn't help but smile after a visit with her. Most mornings there was a basket outside our room with fresh coffee and some yummy bread to start our day. This was perfect for us as my husband "needs his coffee before his coffee"! You can even have a morning smoothie made on your walk from your room to the restaurant for breakfast at a special smoothie station! Super fresh fruits and so many options! The rooms were clean and comfortable. Wifi was great at the pool or common areas but poor reception in the room (which I find is common at any resort). We spent 7 nights at the Explorean and it was perfect. We relaxed, snorkeled, ate a lot of yummy food and even rented a car to take in more of the island. You have to go to Punta Sur for the view, wild life (iguanas!) and lighthouse and to Coconuts restaurant on the other side of the island for the super fun atmosphere. Each time we returned to the resort from whatever activity or adventure we'd been on that day, it was always with a feeling of coming home and relaxing. No stress, no worries. We definitely plan to return!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank taradm2017

Reviewed 3 October 2017

This was the first time, my husband and I had the pleasure of staying at The Explorean Cozumel from 9/23-9/30. The room were spacious located in a very tropical setting. There is no TV in the room but two are located in the Fiesta Americana Hotel. It took only two days to get use to that. Kings size bed is more than enough for two people. The setting was so peaceful and tranquil how wonderful it felt just to relax!
This was all inclusive with excellent food and beverages as well as daily excursions and activities. We were also able to use the facilities at the Fiesta which included the pool and cabanas. We like the food at the other restaurants but the food at The Explorean was the best. If you didn't like what was on the menu they would make what every you wanted. Special thanks to Rodrigo, Enrique and Fermin for the excellent food and service. To Evan for always greeting us at the buffet! We cannot forget Angelica who helped solved a problem in our room. Eduardo and Miguel thanks for helping us with Spanish. Finally Yara who worked at the Pool. She didn't mind walking to get us that hamburger, hot dogs and drinks!
But this is really what made us want to come back. On the day we were leaving there was a triathlon race which closed the main road by the hotel. This meant that in order for us to get a taxi to the airport, we needed to walk to the Presidente Hotel which is about a mile from this hotel. The front desk arranged for a staff member to roll our luggage to the Presidente and another staff member walked with us to make sure we knew where to go. Now that is service. I highly recommend this hotel!
Bring plenty of insect repellent you'll need it!

Room Tip: The showers are located outside of the bathroom with glass enclosures. This may not be ideal for fri...
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2017

Hotel was very nice, well-kept, rooms a good size with private balcony. Beautiful shower, and bathroom. Beds and Bedding were very comfortable with great pillows! Pool area is beautiful and serene. I felt very safe the entire time, entire resort has high fencing around it. We ate most of our meals at the Fiesta Americana (which were included in our all-inclusive). A wide variety of delicious food and drinks, and service was amazing!!! If you want an extra excursion (for a price) talk to Rocky, he was amazing and made our trip absolutely fantastic! My only issue, was the water in the shower was at the best luke warm and the shower in our room was a glass and you are exposed to the whole room, I would love a curtain between the bathroom and bedroom....But that was my only complaint! Very quiet and sleeping was great!!!

Room Tip: Our friends had double beds and they had a curtain to separate the bath and bedroom. We had a king a...
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shana_Rancher
Reviewed 2 October 2017

Overall, our stay was wonderful. The service of phenomenal. Rodrigo, Enrique, and Mario were excellent servers and hosts. They consistently made a special effort to provide a great meal for my vegan daughter. The chef's choice were always great and she cleaned the plate every time, rarely happens at home. The restaurants in Fiesta were really good too. But I loved the Explorean restaurant and especially the Chiliquiles breakfeast! My husband and I brought our three children ages 8, 12, and 15. All three of them had a wonderful time and said this was the best vacation ever. The tours offered the Explorean and apart of the all inclusive package were just incredible. Really no need to spend more on other places. The snorkel trips were so fun and you meet other people from the hotel. The night kayaking was so much more than we expected, on the ocean under the stars. All three children participated, no safety issues at all. No scary incidences. The kids moved around the hotel easily. It is somewhat isolated and their are hotel staff everywhere. The short pier in front of the pier was an excellent spot for snorkeling, Parrot fish up to 10 inches long, blue angel fish and schools of other fish. We went out there almost daily. The great part was that an attendant or life guard was always around, so I felt secure knowing when kids went in and we were not, they are being monitored. My kids were never bored. There is even a kids club at Fiesta and my 8 year old enoyed that for about an hour, but other hotel kids were there and he had so much fun. My teen girls, enjoyed the snorkeling would do that in front of Fiesta several times a day and used their smart phones to take underwater photos and videos (you can get these waterproof cases on Amazon). They were busy and tired at night. Gosh, so wish we could be this way at home! This is a hotel for everyone from everywhere, Mexicans, Americans, Germans, French such a hub and so affordable! I would like to provide some other helpful info. Mosquitoes, nobody likes them and they are numerous here (our trip was late September). We took more anit-mosquito repellent than I have ever used in my life. 4 cans Off with Deet (to spray on our clothes and door way around our room entrance), 1 Skin So Soft (Avon still a winner), and 1 Off for skin. We came back with half of skin so soft and 1 1/2 cans Off with Deet. We covered ourselves before leaving the room. My son got out one day without much coverage, 31 bites later...I made a trip just down the road to Mega (a large grocery store in the style of Target. They have everything at reasonable prices. I bought anti-itch (they have numerous brands including Caladryl), but they also have nice snorkel gear (equivalent of $9.99), beach shoes, and other beach related stuff. As well as any other item you might have missed bringing. It is a full scale store. They take credit cards, but will charge in Pesos, so check with your card co. to see if they charge for the exchange. They also have an ATM on site as well. Tips are better to provide at the time, we thought we would be able to tip out i n one large amount and though we wrote down names, I know we left people out that really deserved it. I looked up tips in Mexico to be sure we were fair. But we would definitely tip out individually. There is a free washing machine and dryer on the 4th fourth of Fiesta (nice clean room newer machines too) you have to supply your own soap but you can buy at Mega. Though if you hang wet swimsuits in the shower they will dry in a day. The little pastry bar in Fiesta on the way to the beach was a twice a day stop for my boy, though I didn't know he was visiting that regularly, the ladies there were very kind and I was sure to tip them well. We really wanted to visit Chichen-Itza and we did, the day before we were to leave. It was a hard day. We rented a car, but it was a long straightforward drive. The heat and humidity were a distraction from the incredible site. IIMPORTANT TIP: Bring water, lots of cold water. There are only two places to buy it and they are a fortune even by US standards, my husband spent $50 for 4 Gatorades, two waters and 2 small Pringles. Load up on these before you get to site. Again, Mega is helpful. If you drive there are a couple of smaller grocery stores on the way (no English though). No climbing up pyramid any more. Park is quiet away from the plaza toward the columns, calm and cool, less aggressive sellers too, they take time to chat. I am the kind of person that returns food not cook well, submits reviews (good and bad often) and complains to higher ups when necessary. I never had to do any of this during our time here. A great time for all of us!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank reneeg679
Reviewed 29 September 2017

My daughter took me to the Explorean for my Birthday..I had never been to Cozumel and it is amazing.. She chose the Explorean which has more a rain forest theme than beach. The rooms are comfortable and quiet and so clean. . But the most amazing part is the staff, they were just wonderful, starting with Miguel at the front desk who couldn't do enough to make our stay memorable.Thank you, Miguel !!!!. We were able to go to the Fiesta Americana to use all their facilities and we went to their pool each day and met Karla, our pool waitress, who is the sweetest person ever. We ate at the Fiesta a couple of times but were a bit disappointed so we decided to eat at the Explorean restaurant the rest of the time....What a treat!! They made special dishes for us and they were all amazingly delicious. Their Mayan chef is the best. What made it even more special was the attention given to us by their wonderful Captain, Enrique. Our last night he made this delicious coffee drink, table side, fire & all!! Thank you Mario, Arturo & all the terrific waiters I met that week. It was a week I will never forget!!!!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family