“temporary exhibits, and a beautiful building”

Anthropology and History Museum
Ranked #14 of 117 things to do in Merida
More attraction details
Owner description: This museum traces the city through history, from its colonial Spanish plazas to the modern bustling streets of today.
Reviewed 7 October 2017

when we visited there was a temporary exhibits focusing on the flowers of mayan culture. I actually found it quite interesting.,but if you are coming to see mayan artifacts, this is not really the place. The building itself is lovely. It is not a huge exhibit but about right for an hour or 2 at the most. We didn't go to the new museum in the north of town, so can't compare.

Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

I had read that an excellent collection of Maya artifacts were held here, but when I visited in October 2017, all there was to see was a temporary exhibit focused on flowers in Mexican art. I asked at reception and it seems all the Maya art save one or two objects has been relocated to the Museo del Mundo Maya in the northern part of Merida. I did not think the fee of 55 pesos for the exhibition was worth it.

1  Thank bh1331
Reviewed 18 September 2017

This is the top museum in Merida, in my opinion. If you only have time for one museum, make this your choice. It was built in the early 1900s by the city's mayor who resided there until he died in 1959. At that time it became a museum. I particularly love the permanent collection of Mayan artifacts. They are some of the best I've seen anywhere. As you walk through the museum, be sure to look around at the beautiful details of the opulent mansion itself. There are often special exhibits and shows, so not all the pieces may be on display at that time.

2  Thank Tita1
Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

We visited the museum this week. I was a little disappointed that there weren't more Mayan artifacts on display. Overall a nice air conditioned visit though.

Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

I've visited several times and I always experience this journey back to the early 1800's, for the house is well-preserved and evokes the haciendas time period. Moreover, I've enjoyed the amazing collection of Mayan artifacts, jewelry, stelas, carved pieces brought from Chichén Itzá and other sites in the peninsula. Do not miss it.