All reviews nice pool and gym nice hotel breakfast buffet huge breakfast standard hotel within walking distance water pressure coffee pot other travelers stayed two nights location is excellent rooms are comfortable restaurants and shops downtown merida three blocks plenty of hot water air conditioning
Reviewed 25 March 2018

Rooms are fairly small and dated. Fridges are not standard, you have to ask for one. The restaurant is fairly unimpressive. Coffee is only provided in the room on your first night, then you have to pay for it. They did not replace the glasses in the room, nor clean the coffee pot. The best part is the location if you want to be near the center of town.

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Esther M, General Manager at Gamma Merida El Castellano, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Thank you for your comments, the kind of room that you booked is the smallest one we have but our standard rooms and suits do have a more space and confort and the price difference between the studio and standard rooms is very small.
As for your other comment, we will look into them immediately with our housekeeper.
We certainly appreciate your time to send your comments and we hope to see you soon.
Hopefully you will be able to experience our standard room or suites for your comfort.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

Close to everything a tourist could want. Seems also to have great conference facilities. Rooms Are comfortable and include refrigerators. Cold fruited water in the lobby daily, helpful staff... Nothing really lacking. Highly recommend.

Room tip: Ask to be away from the pool.
Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Esther M, General Manager at Gamma Merida El Castellano, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2018

Thank you very much for your comments, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us!
We hope to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed 24 February 2018

I stayed in a few hotels during my 5 week stay in Merida and this was the best value for the money. The rooms are comfortable, clean with a cute Mexican decor and the showers always had hot water (not a given in some of the cuter "boutique" hotels!) and good water pressure. Very clean hotel with all services, including room service, coffee in the rooms, pool, a bar in the lobby on weekend nights, business centre, valets to help with parking and luggage and a restaurant with good food and good prices. I tried a couple of more expensive hotels but ended up going back there to finish up my stay. Staff were also great!

Room tip: Ask for a room with a view to not get stuck with one facing into the parking lot.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Rhonda D
Esther M, General Manager at Gamma Merida El Castellano, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2018

We appreciate your feedback very much, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
we hope we can serve you again in the near future at Gamma Mérida.

Reviewed 24 February 2018

I have no complaints about my stay at this hotel, the room was small but clean and tidy. The bed was comfortable, the sheets were clean. Yes the bathroom was small and the shower wasn't great, but the hotel is worth the price, and the staff was great, so I would recommended it, especially for those individuals who like to be near the old historic quarter.

• Trip type: Travelled solo

Thank you very much for your comments, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
we hope we can serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed 14 February 2018

I stayed here for 5 nights in January. I did not "not" enjoy my stay here. The hotel was nice and in a great location. The lobby was clean, the doormen friendly, the staff welcoming, and the atmosphere overall pretty good. The fitness center was nice and the pool was pretty (but small). The location was wonderful. Just a few easy, safe, walkable, blocks from the heart of Merida. The location was superb. That was the #1 reason I might stay here again. It was really affordable too.

Here are the negatives: The food in the restaurant was overpriced and pretty average (but anyone in their right mind would walk a couple of blocks to some awesome restaurants nearby). The room was VERY musty. I could smell the humidity in the room even when I got home to the States. My clothes still smelled musty. When we would get back from a day of sightseeing our clothes, hats, and bags that were out in the room would be damp. It was very annoying. The bathroom was pretty grimy. Not nasty, just rough around the edges. Just an ok room at a hotel that appears, on the surface and in pictures, to be amazing.

The price and the location are both worth 5 stars. The outdated bathroom, the musty smell in the room, the average beds, the below average hotel restaurant, the lack of a small fridge or microwave, water, and coffee in the room were not free...these things bring the rating down to a 3.

Will I stay here again, maybe. Would it be only for the price and the location...yes. But the truth is, for the price and the location, it might be worth it.

Room tip: Ask for a high floor room with a view of the Cathedral at the main square. It is lit up at night and looks beautiful from the room.
Date of stay: January 2018