“Absolutely lovely cantina tour”

Adventures Mexico Day Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
US$49.00*
and up
Merida Street Food Walking Tour
Ranked #1 of 12 Food & Drink in Merida
More attraction details
Owner description: Adventures Mexico is a tour company providing travel programs to Mexico for individuals, families and groups. We strive to deliver memorable travel experiences for any occasion from Mexico City to the Yucatan Peninsula, the Copper Canyon and the states of Oaxaca and Chiapas. We also have a Tour for foodies the "Taste of Yucatan Merida Cooking class"
Reviewed 26 August 2017

We had a wonderful few hours with José and this tour ended up being one of our favorite moments of our Merida trip. He was charming, funny, informative and absolutely wonderful company for this tour. We hit 3 very different cantinas: El Gallito, El Dzalbay, and Hermana Republica, and we enjoyed each for very different reasons. In a fun twist, José ordered Sikil Pak (a Yucatean hummus-type dip made with pumpkin seeds) in each cantina and had us see the differences and compare the way they were made. Our hotel owners were very amused and surprised to hear we'd gone to El Gallito as apparently it's not a spot most tourists would ever end up in. Highly recommend this tour and José if you're lucky enough to get him.

adventuresmex, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Adventures Mexico Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi Beth!

Thank you so much for your honest review! We are very glad to hear you enjoyed the Cantinas experience and great to hear that your time with Jose was highly enjoyable!

We hope to see you back in Mérida soon!

All reviews
"market tour"
in 9 reviews
"the cantina"
in 3 reviews
"highly recommend this company"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 25 August 2017

We had a wonderful time with Laura and Suri on our food tour and cooking class. I appreciated someone helping show us the market as it can be very overwhelming on your own. All the explanations of the local foods, vegetables and fruits were very helpful. Cooking at the other Laura's house was such an experiencing and the food was very tasty. I would highly recommend this tour to anyone interested in learning about the local foods and cultures.

Hi Dawn! Thank you so much for your honest thoughts. We are very glad you enjoyed the Cooking Class experience and we hope you can enjoy some great Yucatecan dishes at home with friends and family.

Hope to see you back in Mérida soon!

Reviewed 15 August 2017

The food tour was one of my family's favorite activity in Merida. Jose was an awesome tour guide. We sampled a variety of cooked dishes as well as fresh market fruit and Jose knew exactly where to take us and what to order. My family of four (with two teenagers) had considered touring the market on our own. I'm glad we hired a guide. There is no way we would have been able to sample and order so many popular dishes on our own. Jose gave us a little history of the dishes, told us how they were prepared, and when and how the locals usually enjoy the dishes. I'm also glad we did the tour on our first day because it helped us to navigate what to order for the rest of the week. Food tours really give you insight into the culture and helps you to view life as native. It may seem a little pricey, but for me it was money well spent. Don't eat too much before going because there is a lot of food to sample. I especially enjoyed the gelato shop. In fact, I visited it 3 more times while on my vacation. Thanks Jose for a great experience!

Thank you so much for your honest review and we are very glad you enjoyed your food tour experience! We appreciate the value you gave the guided visit in the market and we are glad to hear you explored on your own afterwards! :)

Hope to see you back in Mérida soon!

Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

We had a great tour of the market with a lot of very clever explanations of the fruits and food habits in Yucatán. After we went to a house to cook what we bought and ended up with a delicious meal and very interesting conversation!

Highly recommended

adventuresmex, Director of Sales at Adventures Mexico Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2017

Hello! Thank you so much for your honest comments. I'm very glad that you love the class and I hope you cook yucatecan dishes at home!